• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Troops carrying pistols outside the gate

Should all soldiers leaving camp carry pistols along with rifles

• No, troops (ie riflemen) don't need it.

Votes: 71 22.3%
  • Soldiers leaving the camp should have the option of carrying pistols along with their rifles

Votes: 191 60.1%
  • Soldiers should only carry pistols if their is a special requirement/task

Votes: 50 15.7%
  • Other listed below

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters
No George, I don't have to tell the troops to do that, they already know that's the fastest way to get a new one. As for the BHP mags, there is no repair that can be done to fix them, even if I tried to bend the mag lips back to the specs, all I have done is now is make the metal lips weak and the same problem with double feeding will happen again. Once a BHP mag hit my bench and I find it N/S for this problem, I crush it to make sure that when it goes back to supply or the CQ's, they know that's its N/S and wont issue it out again because they think it looks fine.

Overseas my BHP was my "camp gun".  It is excellent at satisfying the KAF weapon requirement because even though it doesn't work like one, it really looks like a pistol.

If the Government sold those pistol to the public they would be snapped up so fast it would make your head spin. They could likely pay for a new replacement for what they would get for them. With a little TLC they make a great pistol.

Colin P said:
If the Government sold those pistol to the public they would be snapped up so fast it would make your head spin. They could likely pay for a new replacement for what they would get for them. With a little TLC they make a great pistol.

They should do that just so we could all see the embolism that would hit David Miller and his ilk.  They would raise a fortune that way though, with a little work and new mags they would be great at the range - a little change when I get bored of my M&P.

Rumor has it they still got a war stock of those things in packaged, cosmoline soaked cases with Chinese Nationalist marking on them. Truth to that? If it is, whip em out :D no point in letting them just sitting there :S

MedTech said:
Rumor has it they still got a war stock of those things in packaged, cosmoline soaked cases with Chinese Nationalist marking on them. Truth to that? If it is, whip em out :D no point in letting them just sitting there :S

Are those the ones with the 500m sights?  I'd love one of those, just for comedic value.  Imagine the angle you'd need to hold a 9mm at to get the bullet to go 500m!

Just saw a Mk II Inglis for sale on CGN, $525, almost twice as much as Glock will sell the G19 to the military for....

Remember an old BHP at my 1st reserve unit.... part of the original INGLIS decal still on the body.  I believe that one was part of the batch that was to have gone to the Chinese.  I don't think we have any more "war stock" of anything anymore though....

geo said:
Note that there are a lot ob BHPs around in reserve units that have 1T serial numbers..... 
the barrels have been brushed through so many times
The mags have been banged around for so many years....

But if the individual pistol is worn out & does not function in a satisfactory manner OR the mags have bent lips.... it's a simple process to replace the darned things.... so long as people do the job they are paid to do, there should not be a problem.

Whether its 1T or 10T Inglis, they are all wartime manufacture, sadly most CF mags I have seen are also marked JI, and wartimers too.

These pistols do get FTR'ds as required, two piece FNH barrrels were in the system when I left in late 1994. However, if there is a problem with any pistols, such as condition, this should be picked up by the user, tagged and passed up to the Q pers. If not ,the fault should be picked up on ATIs, even in outlying Militia units.

I guess at the end of the day the onus is on getting the defect reported, and many times it never does, the pistol is returned, tag comes off, and out it goes again.

As for mags, if in doubt - get rid of them. Plenty of mags out there, and again the mag(s) must be first identified as U/S-N/S, tagged, quarantined and replaced.

Nothing happens unless the paperwork is done and followed up on.

The BHP was also used in lend-lease during WW2, the decal in question was in English, Russian and Chinese. Less than 10 yrs ago here in Australia there was the odd 0T Inglis floating around, and some with tangent rear sights.

Both fixed rear sight, and tangent with slot for shoulder stock were produced by John Inglis.

Back in Saskatchewan, I still have my 3T Inglis, yes now with ergo grips, and ambo safety, she's a beauty. Oh ya and modified 10rd mags too. Gotta be PC compliant in the gun world, ")

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
Whether its 1T or 10T Inglis, they are all wartime manufacture, sadly most CF mags I have seen are also marked JI, and wartimers too.

These pistols do get FTR'ds as required, two piece FNH barrrels were in the system when I left in late 1994. However, if there is a problem with any pistols, such as condition, this should be picked up by the user, tagged and passed up to the Q pers. If not ,the fault should be picked up on ATIs, even in outlying Militia units.

I guess at the end of the day the onus is on getting the defect reported, and many times it never does, the pistol is returned, tag comes off, and out it goes again.

As for mags, if in doubt - get rid of them. Plenty of mags out there, and again the mag(s) must be first identified as U/S-N/S, tagged, quarantined and replaced.

Nothing happens unless the paperwork is done and followed up on.

The BHP was also used in lend-lease during WW2, the decal in question was in English, Russian and Chinese. Less than 10 yrs ago here in Australia there was the odd 0T Inglis floating around, and some with tangent rear sights.

Both fixed rear sight, and tangent with slot for shoulder stock were produced by John Inglis.

Back in Saskatchewan, I still have my 3T Inglis, yes now with ergo grips, and ambo safety, she's a beauty. Oh ya and modified 10rd mags too. Gotta be PC compliant in the gun world, ")

Cheers,

Wes

Heaven only knows what kind of havoc you could wreak with those extra three (3) rounds... ::)

blake

I do agree that all soldiers should carry a pistol as a secondary firearm, but we must replace our aging 9mm Browings with something new, the browing has had it day, and in some cases the old firearms cannot be relied upon, espically with a round in the chamber, alot of the safety's and starting to wear out, and I do not believe that the canadian soldier what to shoot himself.

I was issued with a Browning stamped with Chinese markings while on Inf Officer training in Gagnam in 1979. It was slotted for the shoulder stock, but the rear sight had been replaced with the standard fixed sight.

I traded a nylon shoulder holster for a Browning shoulder stock in very good condition in 1984 or 1985, and bought the pistol (Inglis, slotted and with tangent rear sight) for it while in Lahr a year or two later. At the time of purchase, the stock was worth five or six hundred dollars. I paid less than a third of that for the pistol.

It's probably largely familiarity, but I have yet to find a more modern pistol that I like as much.

rambo123 said:
I do agree that all soldiers should carry a pistol as a secondary firearm, but we must replace our aging 9mm Browings with something new, the browing has had it day, and in some cases the old firearms cannot be relied upon, espically with a round in the chamber, alot of the safety's and starting to wear out, and I do not believe that the canadian soldier what to shoot himself.
Rambo,
Don't know your expertise (blank profile) but, the points you are bringing up have been brought up in the previous 12 pages.  Most people will tell you that the biggest problems the BHPs have right now is the MAG.  With 35+ yrs hands on with the BHP, I have as yet, not had safety problems with the pistol that could be traced back to worn out safeties.

If anything, we have skimped on Pistol training and most of the accidents can be traced back to a lack of training with the darned thing.... unless you know something I don't?

Well said geo:
I've stated in the past that if you want the soldiers to carry pistols, train them PROPERLY!!
All we've heard is this pistol. that pistol, the safeties are worn out etc.

All excuses.....we are issued, for the most part,  the Browning 9mm, and we have to use it. So lets get the troops trained PROPERLY on it. :rage:

rambo123 said:

A spade is a shovel, reality check, over!

Mini rant on - I am over the wannabees, but this one I am going to bite.

You know what pisses me off, is when SME 'know it alls' gob off, and dribble shyte from their mouths.

Just what do you know?? Had its day?  Can't be relied on? Especially with a rd in the chamber? Safeties starting to wear????? To shoot one's self??? Holy shyte, over!

Who are you to make accusations like that? A classic example of someone who knows SFA about nothing.

I don't know who you think you are, or pretend to, there is nothing wrong with the BHP for military use. Its proven, soldier proof, and reliable. Today not only Canada still use it, but so do the UK and Australia along with a host of Commonwealth nations. Its the most common military 9mm pistol in the world.

Your information you present in unfounded, and with YET another EMPTY PROFILE and a name like RAMBO, I think I have made my point PERFECTLY clear. Stick your your lane of expertise Rambo. Play the game or pack it in, as I am getting rather jack with the GMK on the BHP you 'present'.

I have known this pistol since 1976, owned one since 1980, and carried on in theatre, in a desert environment, yes loaded. The only time I did not have it with me was when I slept, and showered. I am also an armourer, and been involved in the national rebuild program. So, unless you really know the kit STFU!

Mini rant off.

Just to put a different spin on the topic (i apologise if it HAS been covered in the preceding 12 pages, as I have not read ALL of the posts) but here is my story:

Picture it - Eritrea, 2001.  LPO runs into Asmara - me and the Sarge in an LSVW.  Ok, if the LSVW coming to a really loud screeching halt in front of the local businesses we went into on a daily basis didn't draw enough attention, the 2 unknown soldiers walking up to Ahmed with machine guns did.  It wasn't ... conducive ... to fostering a great business relationship with the local community.  After the first 3 weeks of paying almost $30 US for 4 rolls of TP it was decided that we would wear a 9mm on our leg vice carrying the C-7.  The presence of being armed was still there, but the threat towards friendlies was all but gone.  Worked great - until we were ordered to leave the BHP back at camp. Nope, the C-& WILL be carried, as it is the "Jr NCO weapon of choice".  So after a week of carting the C-7 into local shops again, we were asked not to return.  That led to me securing the C-7's in the LSVW and my Sgt entering a local civilian establishment UNARMED and ALONE - just to do business.  And some people don't see how a Supply Tech can put his or her life on the line - that man did it every day - 2 and 3 times a day - to get the job done!!

There is no doubt that carrying a C7 is, at times, an inconvenience.  The concept of having 2 people wandering around unarmed is enough to make me cringe.
Might I suggest that one person standing at the door with the C7 while the other would be wearing the BHP might have been the better compromise.

geo said:
There is no doubt that carrying a C7 is, at times, an inconvenience.  The concept of having 2 people wandering around unarmed is enough to make me cringe.
Might I suggest that one person standing at the door with the C7 while the other would be wearing the BHP might have been the better compromise.

Great Ceaser's GHOST no!!!  You misunderstood - I was stationed at the LSVW WITH the C-7's - I would take up a position starting on the street directly in front of our piece of LSVW and pace to about 5 feet from the entrance and back again, never to the same spot twice.  The Sarge DID go inside unarmed, and I cringed everytime.  He taught me a lot.  We actually attempted to carry one 9mm off camp (claim stupidity when caught) but we ended up claiming stupitity (we got caught!!) The Cpl (me) wasn't aware of the new policy. The Sgt (him) was told to discipline the Cpl for his ignorance. The Cpl (me) was given a very stern talking to by the Sgt over a BBQ steak and a beer - both of which were bought and cooked respectively by the Sgt in question!!  He taught me a lot.

BinRat I empathize with your position. There are farrrrr tooooo many "rule book followers" and not enough THINKERS in the military.
Common sense has to prevail. It's too bad its not an initial issue upon commencing training. ;D

Binrat.... given that we are now a fighting army once more, I would venture to say that with all that experience outside the wire, attitudes will change and the situation you experienced probably would not happen today (or maybe next year).  (Dinos do retire - they don't die (though the smell may suggest otherwise :) )

Back