• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Troops carrying pistols outside the gate

Should all soldiers leaving camp carry pistols along with rifles

• No, troops (ie riflemen) don't need it.

Votes: 71 22.3%
  • Soldiers leaving the camp should have the option of carrying pistols along with their rifles

Votes: 191 60.1%
  • Soldiers should only carry pistols if their is a special requirement/task

Votes: 50 15.7%
  • Other listed below

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters
I would love a pistol as a secondary. Now being a cheap b**tard, I refuse to buy one. I'll stick with a Browning for now.
If you need to use a pistol, things have gone badly....very very badly.

OldSolduer said:
I would love a pistol as a secondary. Now being a cheap b**tard, I refuse to buy one. I'll stick with a Browning for now.
If you need to use a pistol, things have gone badly....very very badly.

Very true, and most likely because I ran out of XXX rounds of 5.56...  ;)

:warstory: I remember the 6' wall climb you were supposed to do post 13km march. I used to say(as a platoon 2 I/C) if you guys haven't knocked it down yet, things have gone badly!
I used to fill the post of Duty Officer in the Company from time to time in Bosnia and they gave be a pistol to carry. I used to tell the officers that if I ever had to use it, things have gone very very badly.... :salute:

OldSolduer said:
.....If you need to use a pistol, things have gone badly....very very badly.

Imagine how bad it would be if you needed one and didn't have it, like during a primary wpn stoppage in close quarters.

QV said:
Imagine how bad it would be if you needed one and didn't have it, like during a primary wpn stoppage in close quarters.

A BHP isnt going to help much in most cases, because that'll likely jam the instant you present it... I'd just throw it as a distraction tool while clearing that stoppage. Swoosh!  :warstory:

Some of my unit's BHPs are apparently in the shop to get some repairs and re-blueing. I think it makes a difference, at least bringing the reliability up significantly. For CFSAC last year, we took four BHPs; three of the shooters had to drop out because their pistols encountered stoppages nearly every other round. Mine was one of the refurb jobs and i picked the best mags from the litter, and i still had stoppages roughly once every 30-40 rounds.  :-\

I've never had a problem with issued BHP's -- of course I knew how to maintain them -- and filtered out the crappy mags.
  If the guns have a problem -- they need to be tagged for the wpn's techs can do their work.

FYI -- LE/GOV/MIL pricing on a G19 w/ nightsights and 5 mags is around $215 USD when you buy them on bulk US DOS orders...

Thanks for the price I had taken the average US price and reduced it by 25%, but clearly Glock has already paid for most of it's ma chinary and injection molds, makes you realize how much it really costs to make a gun. It also shows that replacing the pistol is less about cost than about time and energy. A 1.25mil contract would bring in 4,000 pistols & 20,000 mags at least.

I would have thought that everyone overseas would be using their own mags for the BHP, the bad mag issue has been around for the last 20 years.

Colin P said:
I would have thought that everyone overseas would be using their own mags for the BHP, the bad mag issue has been around for the last 20 years.

The old mags were definately an issue, but I have used brand spanking new, shiny DND issue BHP mags on two or three occasions in the last year. (Both in Edmonton and Ottawa) The CF must have bought more. If your unit only has old crappy mags, they should start squashing a batch and requisition some new ones.

The shooting team from 19 Wing Comox actually went so far as to make a unit purchase of shiny FN Herstal magazines for their BHPs. I was very envious, especially at how cleanly they ejected.

When i got my BHP issued when i came here.I got a new mag and old one.The pistol its self is in good shape some guys got issued almost brand new ones.I cant wait until i can wear my own pistol holster the issued one is crap ::)

MikeH said:
When i got my BHP issued when i came here.I got a new mag and old one.The pistol its self is in good shape some guys got issued almost brand new ones.I cant wait until i can wear my own pistol holster the issued one is crap ::)

The issued holster is borderline criminal negligence.  You might as well put the pistol in your cargo pants pocket
(not an actual suggested course of action)

Infidel-6 said:
I've never had a problem with issued BHP's

Same here, never a problem.

The design has been around since 1935, and the Inglis is one of the most robust.

If there is problems with a particular pistol, its most likely user related.

Wesley  Down Under said:
Same here, never a problem.

The design has been around since 1935, and the Inglis is one of the most robust.

If there is problems with a particular pistol, its most likely user or mag related.

... I fixed your post for you Wes... ;D

Note that there are a lot ob BHPs around in reserve units that have 1T serial numbers..... 
the barrels have been brushed through so many times
The mags have been banged around for so many years....

But if the individual pistol is worn out & does not function in a satisfactory manner OR the mags have bent lips.... it's a simple process to replace the darned things.... so long as people do the job they are paid to do, there should not be a problem.

As a weapons tech I am here to tell you that the BHP mags a the major with this weapon. The lips on the mag are being pushed outward by the rounds in the mag, this will cause double feeds and that is the most common problem that I have come across at the user end of things. At the weapons tech end of things, there are not very many things that go wrong with the BHP. Yes its old and heavy when compared to modern pistols, but its all we have till someone at DLR get there act together and get us a new pistol.

Bellow is the the mag lip measurement from the CFTO that your unit Weapons Tech uses.

and the opening
between the lips is between 8.99 millimetres
(0.354 inch) and 9.19 millimetres (0.362 inch).

If you have a problem with your BHP having double feeds, take the mag and put it on the ground, find a big rock and drop it on the mag, pick the mag up and go to your CQ or a weapons tech and say you need a new one. (just dont let anyone see you do this)

the BHP is lighter than that big ROCK you used on your mag..... >:D

421 EME said:
If you have a problem with your BHP having double feeds, take the mag and put it on the ground, find a big rock and drop it on the mag, pick the mag up and go to your CQ or a weapons tech and say you need a new one. (just dont let anyone see you do this)

Now if all those "Cold Warriors" hadn't used those mags as bottle openers we wouldn't have these problems.

I wonder if you also gave the advice to place the Colman Stove under the left track and back over it, in order to get a new one?  >:D

Back