• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not (various polling, etc.)

Weather, no. Climate, yes.
Climate is driven by weather. You can not change ocean currents, volcanic activity, the Milankovitch cycle, solar flares, ice age patterns, etc by taxing Canadians. Human technological carbon emissions have a very, very, did I say very? low impact on weather and climate. The stupid war on "carbon" is retarded to begin with.

Sorry to disagree AR, but it's the other way around: Weather is driven by Climate.

One, climate, is the aggregation of all macro-effects resulting on Earth from the exposure to the sun and the gravity related effects of the planets in our solar system (the rest of the universe is insignificant as a total effect). These macro-effects create local conditions that are constantly changing in an effort of the system to go back to equilibrium: the weather,

Weather is hard to predict over more than a few days; climate can be studied and predicted quite precisely over pretty long timelines of centuries, millennia or more.

Sorry to disagree AR, but it's the other way around: Weather is driven by Climate.

One, climate, is the aggregation of all macro-effects resulting on Earth from the exposure to the sun and the gravity related effects of the planets in our solar system (the rest of the universe is insignificant as a total effect). These macro-effects create local conditions that are constantly changing in an effort of the system to go back to equilibrium: the weather,

Weather is hard to predict over more than a few days; climate can be studied and predicted quite precisely over pretty long timelines of centuries, millennia or more.
studied, yes. predicted, not really with any degree of accuracy. There is no substantial evidence that the past predicts the future. For instance, is there a single climate prediction made in the last 30 years that has been actually come true? The Arctic is still plugged with ice much of the time. It is still minus 40 in Antarctica and there is no evidence that the ice cover is subsiding. Mauritius, has actually become large, not smaller and we are still skiing in Vermont. Coffee plantations are thriving, crop output has increased and instead of getting larger, there are parts of the desert in Africa that have seen rain for the first time in decades. Now I am not saying that this is because of an increase in carbon in the atmosphere but I am saying that we still don't know enough about how the whole system works to gamble future generations by reverting to a 19th century style of living.

we still don't know enough about how the whole system works to gamble future generations by reverting to a 19th century style of living.

I hate to say this, but this is one of the most conceited statement I have seen in quite a while.

I am not entering the "climate debate" because it is a field where proper, logical, scientific, fact based debate is impossible - so I don't bother and keep my position to myself on the matter.

I was merely pointing out that climate drives weather, not the other way around.

On the topic of our environmental extremist climate minister and trudeau. Another week, another scandal with this government.

Toss some "free" dental, or another "rebate" cheque at the brain dead idiots who live in this country a few months before election time and all will be forgotten. Until politicians started being held accountable, nothing will change.

Depends on your understanding of "precise". I like at least 3 digits of precision. Climate science is sometimes, like astronomy, doing well when it gets the sign correct.

we still don't know enough about how the whole system works to gamble future generations by reverting to a 19th century style of living.
That's a prudent statement, not a conceited one. We don't even know what fraction of necessary knowledge we have, let alone have the necessary knowledge, to be taking any big measure except trying to throttle back CO2 production. We don't even know with enough certainty whether a slightly warmer planet will be better or worse in the long run.

I hate to say this, but this is one of the most conceited statement I have seen in quite a while.

I am not entering the "climate debate" because it is a field where proper, logical, scientific, fact based debate is impossible - so I don't bother and keep my position to myself on the matter.

I was merely pointing out that climate drives weather, not the other way around.
I take exception to that. And no, you weren't just pointing out that climate drives weather, which I agree with by the way, but you also added that it can be predicted and my reply to you was targeted at that statement. It cannot be predicted. Where is the conceit in being scared for the future of my grandchildren as I see their job prospects being driven off-shore by choices that aren't backed up by definitive evidence?

It cannot be predicted.
Almost anything can be predicted, if you have a good enough model and good enough measurements (inputs).

We don't have any good enough models, and we have only very, very sparse measurements of a few particular things (eg. temperature). There is a lot more that has to be predictable other than what amount to ridiculously imprecise estimates of future "global temperature anomaly".

Almost anything can be predicted, if you have a good enough model and good enough measurements (inputs).

We don't have any good enough models, and we have only very, very sparse measurements of a few particular things (eg. temperature). There is a lot more that has to be predictable other than what amount to ridiculously imprecise estimates of future "global temperature anomaly".

Welcome to the new Dark Ages ;)

Climate Hysteria In The Dark Age: Are We Seeing Glimmers Of Light?​

Like the alchemy, amulets and talismans of Europe’s Dark Ages, our favourite instruments these days are the “tuned” mathematical models simulating the climate – what physicist Steve Koonin calls the “many, muddled models” — and predicting the climate 50 to 100 years out with a certainty that defies common sense. Perhaps Voltaire gets the last laugh in reminding us that “common sense is not so common”. Meanwhile, our humdrum meteorological models of the weathermen can hardly predict the weather more than 10 days out. Like Middle Ages Europe, apocalypticism or the religious belief that the end of the world is imminent requires an Al Gore in our lives today. Unlike divining the Bible, his job is simpler, writing the equation “more CO2 equals dangerous global warming” and showing a misleading documentary proving so.

Science in the Middle Ages was like this:

checking blood and oil GIF

which is not a whole lot different than today.....

Edit to add: We use leeches and fly larva to fight infections and blood letting is a thing again - or was I think.

On the topic of our environmental extremist climate minister and trudeau. Another week, another scandal with this government.

Toss some "free" dental, or another "rebate" cheque at the brain dead idiots who live in this country a few months before election time and all will be forgotten. Until politicians started being held accountable, nothing will change.
The Liberals are sending money to companies that they themselves own, and those companies don't actually offer any goods or services to the government other than existing?

And none of this would have been known if it wasn't for the Conservatives informing the public about it?

Sounds about right. To be fair, there's 52 weeks in a year - and trying to come up with at least 52 scandals a year can't be an easy feat...

I say good on the LPC for being consistent when so many other parties would have thrown in the towel & just started being less corrupt. Takes gumption to stay the course and work this hard at something!

👏

Back