• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

:giggle: Memories.

In 1969 my OCdt pay was $400 per month. At the time there was a strange unification effect which meant that we didn't graduate as 2Lts but went right to full Lt and my pay jumped to the dizzying height of $600 per month with $82 deducted for rations and quarters as a living in subbie. With the surplus funds after a few months I bought a nice used 65 Mustang for $1,400 and sold my 58 Chevy for $100. Beer was cheap. Life was good.

Greens were brand new and we were all given a $600 clothing allowance, given bundle of green cloth and sent to a tailor to make our new uniforms and get out of the OR battledress and TWs we'd worn as cadets. It was just enough.

Still remember how much the RSM of 3 RCHA hated me and the regimental photographer (a sailor) for spoiling his otherwise uniformly brown regimental parade. Oh - there was a hair thing too.

šŸ»
Dad's first posting in '52 was to 17 Regional Ordnance Depot, then in Vancouver but in the process of relocating to Edmonton. He and my Mum lived in a one room apartment with a Murphy bed. They shared a refrigerator on the landing.

The "coolness" factor - looking good in uniform and on parade, is one of the reasons that I think that eventually this will turn into another implied must buy. I think that this will only apply to Offrs and RSMs.
This is about giving Canex a way to make money of CAF members who would rather be Frontiersmen. We have people struggling now with home expenses to the point it is making news headlines. Throwing on a new $2k obligatory expense (so that we can have a new uniform that was unnecessary the past 50+ years) is not going to help retention.

This is about giving Canex a way to make money of CAF members who would rather be Frontiersmen. We have people struggling now with home expenses to the point it is making news headlines. Throwing on a new $2k obligatory expense (so that we can have a new uniform that was unnecessary the past 50+ years) is not going to help retention.

Well, and then there's Mess Kit ;)

As far as I know Patrol Blues is still an optional buy for the members and not compulsory like mess kit for Offrs. I don't think that the Corps/Regts will order their members to buy this uniform at this time due to economic trying circumstances now and primarily because they have no functional use for it.

The Reg F has not used it since unification and thus it doesn't really know when to wear it, but there seems to be demand for it as the Army decided to authorize it for wear again by the Reg F. I think that people who will buy this uniform will be young men who will want to be married in this uniform.

I've never worn Patrol Blues and I've only seen once worn by a Res F Offr. You are quite right, and I agree with you, this is an unnecessary piece of kit.

The Reg F has not used it since unification and thus it doesn't really know when to wear it, but there seems to be demand for it as the Army decided to authorize it for wear again by the Reg F. I think that people who will buy this uniform will be young men who will want to be married in this uniform.

I've never worn Patrol Blues and I've only seen once worn by a Res F Offr. You are quite right, and I agree with you, this is an unnecessary piece of kit.

Though it may be an outlier, a Reg Force unit did wear it two years ago. The Gunners were kitted out in blues (No. 1C) when they performed public duties in England.

1698434450804.png

Previous Canadian public duties participation were in No. 1B (Full Dress) or No. 1 (DEU).

It wasn't much of a decision for me, the tailor said barathea was cheaper and less warm.

I have far too much Scottish ancestry to spend more, and my zeal for King and country keeps me warm.
I only paid about $200 for my patrols, although, I only needed the jacket.

Rather surprised to see patrols and an "office weight" DEU-type No. 1 uniform potentially coexisting for the entire army.

I get the idea of service dress, but why not make it a truly midrange uniform that'll do for warehouse, non-coveralls manual labour, office, and whatnot; something akin to the outgoing NCDs in design; and use Full, if your corps/regt has it, Patrol otherwise, for actual formal occasions, with a sliding scale for how much bling you hang off the basic HC jacket and striped trousers.

And ban ties entirely.

Rather surprised to see patrols and an "office weight" DEU-type No. 1 uniform potentially coexisting for the entire army.
If the new Army Service Dress is decent and presentable, then 1C/1D patrols are indeed probably redundant for 99% of the Army. I suspect that the decision to push patrols was made without knowing about the DEU replacement project. Classic right hand/left hand.

If the new Army Service Dress is decent and presentable, then 1C/1D patrols are indeed probably redundant for 99% of the Army. I suspect that the decision to push patrols was made without knowing about the DEU replacement project. Classic right hand/left hand.
They knew about the DEU change and even that it would not be rifle green.

They knew about the DEU change and even that it would not be rifle green.
Soā€¦ there goes that theory. So what is the actual point of patrols? Change of command parades and weddings tend to be held in June, is the white version supposed to be the one that the troops buy first?

Would patrols be acceptable in lieu of mess kit at a mess dinner or ball? Or acceptable for certain ranks since some arenā€™t expected to purchase mess kit?

Would patrols be acceptable in lieu of mess kit at a mess dinner or ball? Or acceptable for certain ranks since some arenā€™t expected to purchase mess kit?
I'm guessing that the people who need to buy mess dress are the ones most likely to buy patrols as well. We already have 2B for those without mess dress, and I'm not sure many places would go for 2/2B/1D as options for dress at formal dinners.

I can see patrols being used like high collar navy whites, at events where a suit and tie is considered appropriate dress, and for ceremonial occasions where it's just a few senior people present.

Another example where patrols make sense, the C Int C Col recently had an audience with Princess Anne, along with his CWO. Since it was two senior people, patrols would look more formal that DEU leisure suits, and they would both be in a similar order of dress as they are both senior enough to be expected to own optional uniforms like that.

Still remember how much the RSM of 3 RCHA hated me and the regimental photographer (a sailor) for spoiling his otherwise uniformly brown regimental parade. Oh - there was a hair thing too.
Of course, the easiest route would be not to be on parade then.

Modern Problems Funny Gif GIF by MOODMAN

I'm guessing that the people who need to buy mess dress are the ones most likely to buy patrols as well. We already have 2B for those without mess dress, and I'm not sure many places would go for 2/2B/1D as options for dress at formal dinners.

I can see patrols being used like high collar navy whites, at events where a suit and tie is considered appropriate dress, and for ceremonial occasions where it's just a few senior people present.

Another example where patrols make sense, the C Int C Col recently had an audience with Princess Anne, along with his CWO. Since it was two senior people, patrols would look more formal that DEU leisure suits, and they would both be in a similar order of dress as they are both senior enough to be expected to own optional uniforms like that.
Kind of like the difference between these.IMG_0005.jpegIMG_0004.jpeg

Kind of like the difference between these.View attachment 80948View attachment 80949
In the case of Gen Hillier, there would have been some coord between the GG and CDS offices in terms of dress. In that case, for whatever reason, DEU 3B was agreed upon.

Iā€™m not going to say whether itā€™s ā€œappropriateā€ or not, but itā€™s not like he just showed up in a CANEX jacket without the GG office knowing.

It is generally worn in lieu of mess dress. Thought it can also be worn at parades when not on parade.

Back