• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vibrum (sp) soles (aka VIBRAM ...)

swanita

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi everyone!!

Does anybody know where I can get vibrum (spelling?) soles put on my combat boots? Preferably around the Toronto or GTA area.   Also the cost involved.... Thanks!   :cdn:

[Moderator Edit: AAAGGHHHH ... I couldn't stand it any longer ... it's "Vibram" ... and I can't believe it took so long for somebody who knew the correct spelling to correct it ... sigh ... especially since I only discovered this thread the weekend after the walk ... groan ... and, yes - the Yellow Pages would have been faster ... and I apologise for not noticing this thread sooner, since I know of several places in Toronto ...]

Most shoe shops can do it.  I recommend a phone book specifically the yellow pages.

Canada 411 and if that does not work talk to your unit MO and tell them you have a foot problem and they shoulld be able to write a perscription in which you take to the QM and they do it at cost to the Queen.

McNutt

And I'm not entirely sure but you must have a medical chit on your file to allow you to wear the Vibrum soled combat boots. They are much more comfortable, I don't know why we all don't have them, but alas, it is a thing that has to be put through the medical wheels of progress.

actually you don't.  If you have a chit you can wear them.  If not you can chance it and wear them like I have done.

When I got mine in BMQ you needed a chit but that was in 03, I think you do not need a chit no because my girlfriend went to clothing stores to get kit for her BMQ and she got  two sets in St Jean. She said she was told if you had them, you could were them regardless.

McNutt

Of course it is always wise to follow the norm when on course (especially in the beginning of ones career) if you don't have a chit.

I only got mine for breaking my ankle, waiting on PAT. Follow the norm and don't pay for it yourself. I think they guy who did them said they cost something like roughly $80 a pair.

mcnutt_p said:
I only got mine for breaking my ankle, waiting on PAT. Follow the norm and don't pay for it yourself. I think they guy who did them said they cost something like roughly $80 a pair.

Price means nothing to me if it saves my already troubling knees.  As for the chit thing I know plenty of people who do not have a chit & have the soles.  But that isn't what i was asking....thanks for the couple replies that were very vague, I figured asking here would save me some time/trouble but haven't got a definitive answer. Maybe it's a mystery!!  ;D But particular names of places if any one knows...if not, i'll have to find out at another time. I wanted these soles for the Weekend to End Breast Cancer walk were me & my team, from my regiment, will be walking 60km over 2 days in combat boots & thought i'd be much nicer with those soles!! Thanks anyways.

swanita said:
Price means nothing to me if it saves my already troubling knees.   As for the chit thing I know plenty of people who do not have a chit & have the soles.   But that isn't what i was asking....thanks for the couple replies that were very vague, I figured asking here would save me some time/trouble but haven't got a definitive answer. Maybe it's a mystery!!   ;D But particular names of places if any one knows...if not, i'll have to find out at another time. I wanted these soles for the Weekend to End Breast Cancer walk were me & my team, from my regiment, will be walking 60km over 2 days in combat boots & thought i'd be much nicer with those soles!! Thanks anyways.

Swanita:

Some folks tried to help you out, to the best of their abilities - don't get huffy because you didn't get the precise answer you were looking for.

Looking at your original posting, it was put up here Thursday morning.  You say you needed the stuff done by the weekend (LESS than two business days).  Why didn't you pick up the Yellow Pages and start dialing??  Or search the GTA directory online, and start dialing??  Did you just hear about this Walk-A-Thon Thursday morning??

Do they still teach the 6 P's??  If so, you fail.  If not, you still fail.

Either way - the failure was YOURs, not the kind souls who attempted to provide you with the best information they had.  Please take your snit elsewhere.

Retired CC said:
Swanita:

Some folks tried to help you out, to the best of their abilities - don't get huffy because you didn't get the precise answer you were looking for.

Looking at your original posting, it was put up here Thursday morning.   You say you needed the stuff done by the weekend (LESS than two business days).   Why didn't you pick up the Yellow Pages and start dialing??   Or search the GTA directory online, and start dialing??   Did you just hear about this Walk-A-Thon Thursday morning??

Do they still teach the 6 P's??   If so, you fail.   If not, you still fail.

Either way - the failure was YOURs, not the kind souls who attempted to provide you with the best information they had.   Please take your snit elsewhere.

I think you should reread my "original post" as i mentioned nothing about needing it for this weekend. In my second post, I was THANKING people for the replies I got but it seemed to take a turn to whether or not a chit is required. 

The weekend I was referring to (if you've haven't heard any details about it as some people might not have) was on the "weekend to end breast cancer" which a fundraising event taking place in September....so nothing was mentioned in my last post regarding needing the soles for THIS WEEKEND....I'm not that stupid, well occassioccasionally all are but not this time.  Maybe the tone with what i wrote was taken the wrong way as I was just hoping that someone had an actual name of a place that does the service I'm searching for. That's it.

swanita said:
Hi everyone!!

Does anybody know where I can get vibrum (spelling?) soles put on my combat boots? Preferably around the Toronto or GTA area.   Also the cost involved.... Thanks!   :cdn:

Just reading through and your original post says nothing about needing them that weekend. Provide more info if you want a better answer.

McNutt

Get over it already. Either put it back on track or it gets locked.

It'll cost you anywhere from $60 - $100, depending on where you go, and almost any shoe repair store will do it. Get in the phone book. I don't think you'll get more of an answer than that, unless you tell everyone your specific area of abode and someone near you has had it done.

Moneyworth and Best does vibrant soles for about 91 bucks a pair, i got em and they are 10 times better then the original sole.

P.S.  (my father was a carpenter, and one of his enduring lessons to me was "use the right tool for the right job" ... and so, purely as a demonstration to anybody else who ever needs a quick answer to a simple question ... out of curiousity, I Googled "vibram soles Toronto" ... and here's the first hit)

http://www.myccr.com/SectionForums/viewtopic.php?p=103150&sid=2ae13c4f829fad3f0fd583ad47afb4cd

1.  Does anyone know where, in Toronto, I can get a good resole job? I have a pair of Zmberlain boots with Vibram soles that are getting awfully close to wearing out.

2.  Try the folks at MEC. They may know someone in TO to resole boots, if not, they should be able to tell you the name of the shop in Vancouver that does their warranty work.
Last year they sent my Zamberlans to Vancouver to have a repair done on the rand - I dropped them off at the TO store and they shipped them back to me at home - at no cost to me. Exceptional customer service.
Please let us know what you find out - my Ladaks are three years old and will need new soles before to long.

3.  Novelty Shoe Rebuilders Limited
119 Yonge
Toronto, ON M5C1W4
Phone: (416) 364-8878

Funny Name, good service, they do Vibram soles.

P.P.S. (I hesitated to make a "plug" for a commercial enterprise, however ... since this information is readily available via Google ... Novelty is where I had my first pair done, it's close to Moss Park Armoury, and I'd agree - good service - by comparison, the Vibram soles I got from Petawawa aren't as good ... which is a shame, since it was the taxpayers' money ... whereas I paid out of my own pocket when I originally went to Novelty back in 1981 ...)

In pembroke theres a guy right across from east side marios (bertrands?) who will do combat boots, it comes out to $75 a pair.

I got my first pair done and 2000 and after wearing them, i went out and got my second paid done.  I just exchanced my boots this summer and took them in right away to get them done again.

Honestly guys, the difference these make is simply amazing. Once you try them out I promise you'll never put up with the old combat boot soles again.

If your worried about a chit go to a medic and ask them to write you a chit saying you can wear the soles and they will let you.  I've never heard of wearing vibram soles being a problem in the reg force but in the reserves sometimes they make you have a chit.

You CAN get the army to pay for them but it's a big headache, lots of paperwork and hey, if you don't medically need them and just want the army to pay for them, well your lying and it might come back to bite you in the ass.

Buck up and pay the $75 for the soles.

Just a question..

I'm about to be replacing my current pair, and the model of the sole seems to have slipped my memory. I need to know the model of sole so that the guy at the store can order it for me.

Thanks

Most CF Members have the Kletterlift model.

Back