• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vibrum (sp) soles (aka VIBRAM ...)

Ahh yes, I thought it was the Kletterlift, thanks for clarifying Redeye.

Cheers.

Thinking of re-soling your cbt boots with a vibram sole? My advice...get the required medical chit prior to doing so. MIR gives you the chit..take it to clothing stores and they will send your boots out to get them resoled at no cost to you. There is a National contract for re-soling CF footwear so if you are doing it on your own (ie without authorization) you are not only acting in breach of a Federal contract, you are also acting in contradiction to CF policy which expressly forbids you from willfully modifying or destructing taxpayers property...a chargeable offense. Doing it the proper way allows you to have a chit in your pocket (for when the RSM asks you why you have vibram soles on-CYA-no extras etc) and allows you to have a copy on your clothing docs so you do not have to fill out a Stores Loss and Damage Report explaining how you broke the rules and will now have to re-imburse the Crown for your combat boots when you release/component transfer etc because you willfully modified them. On a better note, there is now a review going on to have all boots coming into the system standard with vibram soles, finally. But from a Sup Tech point of view....we agree with you all that the kit could use improvements. Please don't complain to us because we don't decide. Better yet, use what is already officially in the CF to suggest improvements to your kit. This would be the UCR. (Unsatisfactory Condition Report). Do a DIN search and you will find this form electronically, fill it out and e-mail to the IM and LCMM, this is the way to effect change. PS, did you know that for the amount of pers who want to re-sole their boots to vibrams....NDHQ has never...neverreceived a UCR from a single person recommending this change? I saw it on an earlier thread that the pers buying us the kit had no clue what we needed or what the problems with it were....well that's why the UCR exists. It is the soldier's tool to effect change, change can only happen if pers use the resources already available to them.

A source tells me that a CANFORGEN in 2004 states that soldiers can wear vibrams and only require a chit if member wants CF to pay for it. True?

Well, I will check out the CANFORGEN's but I don't remember it crossing my desk at clothing since I've been there (Feb 04). I do recall a msg onthat authorized pers proceeding to Holland as part of Op Nijmegan teams to re-sole their boots for non-medical reasons if they wanted to at their own expense. Here in Gagetown, those Nijmegan pers brought their boots into clothing and we had them re-soled IAW the federal contract, they then re-imbursed the Crown the costs. I will check it out though. 

"NDHQ has never...neverreceived a UCR from a single person recommending this change?"
That is probably because it has been lost in the burocratic shuffle.

armyvern said:
PS, did you know that for the amount of pers who want to re-sole their boots to vibrams....NDHQ has never...neverreceived a UCR from a single person recommending this change?

bsflag.gif

You're ass is sucking wind! That's been a pretty sheltered 18 years.

So in the reserves in the GTA, who would I see to get a chit to get the insoles, I have terrible knees from a sever break when I was younger and the mkIII's are killing me.  Do i have to see an army medic, if so where, or can I get a note from my GP and simply hand it to my Coy ??

swanita said:
Hi everyone!!

Does anybody know where I can get vibrum (spelling?) soles put on my combat boots? Preferably around the Toronto or GTA area.   Also the cost involved.... Thanks!   :cdn:

Yes, there are several locations in TO to get the Vibram soles put on. I just got my first pair done by power of the medical chit given to me by one of the MOs at the MIR at ASU Toronto (where you should be going to get it presuming that you are a member of a unit in 32 CBG). I got 'em after I had surgery done on my knee for an ACL repair and a medial meniscus tear and I tell ya, it is a thing of beauty to have those on the black caddies after recovery. Reg Force members get 'em paid for, dunno about Reservists. The place they directed me to go was a shop at Fairview Mall (Sheppard & Donmills) called Sole Proprietor (97 bucks a pair taxes in). Cheers!  :cdn:

If you have the good sense and good fortune to live in Montreal there is a place in NDG that will do an amazing job, and fix them up for the life of your boot, even when the sole starts peeling off.  Taxes in will cost you $55.

tech79 said:
So in the reserves in the GTA, who would I see to get a chit to get the insoles, I have terrible knees from a sever break when I was younger and the mkIII's are killing me.  Do i have to see an army medic, if so where, or can I get a note from my GP and simply hand it to my Coy ??

tech79, are you on class B?

BTW this topic has been discussed extensively. Try "vibram" in the advance search function.

I paid $60 after tax per pair when I had mine done in Kingston (Had a med-chit, but was told I had to pay for them myself as I was on a short term B contract)

Our local shoe maker will do it for $40 + taxes, so shop around.

Back