• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whats it like to be a LCIS tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gota

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,
          I just wondering if anyone is an LCIS techs around. I am heading in the trade starting my BMQ on Oct 1st,2007 and just had a few questions concerning personal experience with MOC and advance training. I was just wondering how long of service time is required before any advance training or specialty training is offered to a tech considering he/she demonstrate ability to be able to move on to next level in career. It maybe a bit of a general question but I just basically looking around for personal experiences and such.

Thank You
Gota

Hi there - my hubby is LCIS,
what sort of specialty training are you referring to?

Hey Muffin,
I was just wondering about advance training and specialty training after completion of MOC.
For example I seen specialty training such as Fiber optics system, Satellite Comm terminal and quite a few others.
What i am really trying to learn is basically are LCIS tech selected to specialize or can they choose an area of specialization.
I am currently a Computer Systems Network Tech / Network Administrator in my job Civvy job and I just thinking since I am already specialized in Computer Network if I can head in that direct after my MOCs are done. I going to talk to recruiters when i swear in on the 19th Sept for some additional information on this but I rather hear it personally from Techs alrdy there. I find that alot of what recruiters tell you and what Tech experience are completely different on many occasions. Any help or word of advice would be accepted most graciously.

Thanks
Gota

Ah I see -

Well networking etc is part of the trade MOC training if I recall - and the Satellite stuff (NCCIS heavy and light det) training is run through  the Regt in Kingston when you get there ...

I will get back to you though with a better answer this evening when I have hubby here with me ;)

Muffin/Rad,
Thank you for your help and patience. I will check out that link and continue reading for more info.

Thanks
Gota

Ok.... Just got done talking to the hubby about your questions.

He said that any specialized training outside of your MOC training is dependent on your posting. For example if you are posted to the Regiment you will get both networking and satcoms (usually within the first year of being there). Since this is the case, there is no real way for you to "specialize" in anything permanently - just while you are in the position.

Whether or not your civvy training is taken into account when your postings are chosen, depends on the career manager.

muffin

Hey Muffin,
                I appreciate the info it cleared up a hell of alot of worries in my mind. Please tell you hubby thanks for the info.
Thanks for taking the time to follow and such. I will see you around on the forums. Take care.

Gota

Just try and think about the kind of things you want to do before you have completed your 3's.  I don't know if you'll be able to choose your first posting anymore, but if you can, think first of the things you are interested in.  If you really like the radio portion of your 3's, then a field unit is defenitely for you.  Your QL3 course is going to prepare you for a field unit and not much else.  Its a lot of RF theory, and practical troubleshooting, but its doesn't really prepare you for the multitude of other jobs that you will be asked to do, like IT, TE (Terminal Equiment), SatCom (the JSR thinks they do that, but they don't touch the big ones there  ;D), those will be taught to you at your unit, or back in CFSCE on OSQ's. 

HAHA - to true
I didn't even have to look at your profile to guess you were from Lietrium "the big satellite" haha..

muffin

LCIS_Cpl,
            Thanks for the information. I really dont mind the jobs or the postings I get just wanted to know if my professional
experience would steer me into something similar. I hopefully end up somewhere in IT. But heck i would love to Learn TE or Satcom stuff.

Gota

I have question, how are the condition/s the LCIS work have to deal with  as far of level of noise ?

We work under the same conditions as combat arms soldiers in the field.  When you're back on the base, you will normally work in your workshop or in an office setting depending on what your job is.  You could be doing a job in complete silence in the field, or you could be fixing a phone in a boiler room, it really only depends on what you job you have.

I am an LCIS tech at CFJSR and have since I have been here, I have worked in IS, TCCCS, and Satcomms. I recently returned from a 6 month tour in Afghan. It is  a great job, with lots of opportunities. If you end up at CFJSR, you will spend 6 months to a year in the CNR shop repairing radios. Then move on the SatCom or IS, where you will complete your Light and Heavy Det courses. These two courses, one or the other, but usually both make you deployable. That is just the CFJSR experience. You have a totally different job while attached to a battle group, or ASG.

But for IS courses, SatComm Courses ETC...CFJSR is your best bet. We are trained to install maintain and program everything from Nortel Option 11 switches to Alcatel MUX's...It is very in depth and transferable skill sets to the civi world after you are done.

tech2002 said:
I have question, how are the condition/s the LCIS work have to deal with  as far of level of noise ?

HUH??? Sorry, I can't hear you... I spent 7 years with the Artillery in Shilo.. LOL

BigDaddyFatback said:
I am an LCIS tech at CFJSR and have since I have been here, I have worked in IS, TCCCS, and Satcomms. I recently returned from a 6 month tour in Afghan. It is  a great job, with lots of opportunities. If you end up at CFJSR, you will spend 6 months to a year in the CNR shop repairing radios. Then move on the SatCom or IS, where you will complete your Light and Heavy Det courses. These two courses, one or the other, but usually both make you deployable. That is just the CFJSR experience. You have a totally different job while attached to a battle group, or ASG.

But for IS courses, SatComm Courses ETC...CFJSR is your best bet. We are trained to install maintain and program everything from Nortel Option 11 switches to Alcatel MUX's...It is very in depth and transferable skill sets to the civi world after you are done.

The only thing I have to ask is have you been anywhere else aside from Kingston, lol???  JSR is defenitely not the best bet for courses, but I'm sure to each is own ;D.  Any tech can get any of those courses.  It make take a little longer when you're not in Kingston, but you can still get them.  Plus, field units love their techs and treat them like gold, which is a little more than I can say about anywhere in Kingston. 

What unit you go to will determine what section you end up in and if you ever see IT stuff. Your past civ courses are a bonus but doesn't mean that you will end up in a IT section. You will be sent where you are needed. They mite give you equivalence for past courses i.e. if you are a MCSE or MCP in 2003 there isn't any reason to send you on your server course. Things like that will be determind when you get to your unit.

Once BMQ is done you will come to CFSCE and attend POET and then you QL3, once they are compleated you will get your posting, once at a unit you will begin you OJT package. Once that is compleated you could be sent on OSQ courses that could be required for you current position. Such as WAS Maint Course, once you have access to a DIN PC check out the CFSCE website for course listings and explanations of those courses.

Good luck and welcome to the trade

Sweet ateast now I have an idea about it all. As usual your time and answers are always appreciated.

Gota

According to the Trade Spec, optimum Trade progression will have you posted to a Brigade Unit upon completion of your QL3. Of course, history has shown that this is not always, if ever the case. While there are certain skill-sets that you will only be able to develop in a garrison Unit, those same skill-sets are in high demond on operation. IT background will certainly place you well for yoru future employment, but don't be too dissapointed if you end up working on TacRad during your first posting. As I told my LCIS Students when I was in Kingston at the School: LCIS Techs (and for that matter, most C&E Trades) are Force Generated Nationally, so do not be too surprised with finding yourself deployed to Afghanistan within a short time of completion of your QL3 regardless of where you end up getting posted....and knowing that: Focus on your basic Soldiering skills as well as making sure that you maintain a well rounded Technician skill-set.

Im a reserve sig op with QL3 mod 1 thinking off going reg force and am interested in LCIS (its what i thought originally what a sig op was).
Wondering what its like being a LCIS tech in reg force?
whats it like being reg force?
and finally what would i have to do to remuster and go reg force?
any information would be great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back