• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whats it like to be a LCIS tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for answering pmedmoe, just trying to figure out 100% what  getting myself into before I get enrolled . I try to search before I ask but this proves to be a bit more difficult with the absence of a computer . I do my posting and searching from my iPhone , if I don't find an answer in 3 or 4 posts I'll ask . Realisticly I should have asked my recruiter but somtimes a few things slip your mind.

Thanks again.      Bob

Bob1987 said:
I do my posting and searching from my iPhone , if I don't find an answer in 3 or 4 posts I'll ask .

Thanks again.      Bob
No worries, that's understandable.

When it says LCIS techs do "technical admistration" can anyone expand on that for me...

tsokman said:
When it says LCIS techs do "technical admistration" can anyone expand on that for me...

Updating/maintaining TDPs (Technical Data Packages) for inside wiring/cabling, paperwork associated with planned and corrective maintenance, modification records, etc.

Pretty much anything that goes with the documentation world of being a tech.

ok thanks...is this both electronic and paper...is this a specialiation or does everyone LCIS tech do it...

tsokman said:
ok thanks...is this both electronic and paper...is this a specialiation or does everyone LCIS tech do it...
I'm going to guess both electronic and paper and that all LCIS Techs do it.

PMedMoe said:
I'm going to guess both electronic and paper and that all LCIS Techs do it.

You got it.  With any maintenance, there are either paper or electronic records that need to be updated.  Parts have to be ordered and/or returned to Supply, which requires paperwork.  If a part breaks far too frequently, there are Unsatisfactory Condition Reports which go to the people responsible for procuring parts.  There is paperwork to transfer equipment between units.  There's oodles more, but it's all "Tech Admin".

is there feedback analysis...like post-repair analysis...do you take notes while repairing systems...or do you work directly with a technical workbook while repairing...can anyone digress more on what overhauling entails...

tsokman said:
is there feedback analysis...like post-repair analysis...do you take notes while repairing systems...or do you work directly with a technical workbook while repairing...can anyone digress more on what overhauling entails...

I think you're worrying a little too much about the nitty gritty details of the job.  Very few people in uniform get into positions where they collate failure data on equipment.  Most tech positions are carrying the toolboxes and reporting the data.  If you want to maintain a log book, that's up to you - but I don't think it's an official part of the trade.  Records are kept of individual pieces of equipment to the level of what maintenance has been performed on it, and what mods have been done to it, but that's about it.

I think I've already told you once that "technical workbooks" aren't used in the LCIS trade, to the best of my knowledge.  You'll have an OJT package with various skills and tasks to be demonstrated to a particular level before being signed off, but that's the only thing you'll see that's close to a workbook.

Technical administration could also refer to maintaining the TACIS database, which is basically a barcode system in which the LCIS techs track TCCCS equipment installed in vehicles, or when items are out for repair.

does anyone know what CF manuals are applicable to LCIS tech...

tsokman said:
does anyone know what CF manuals are applicable to LCIS tech...

You're kidding, right?  There have to be hundreds.

Why do you want to know at this stage of the process?

Well guy, I wouldn't prep too much.  With MES there is no guarantee you will ever be a Tech.

Cheers,

Assuming you do become a tech, you will be taught what you need to know about the aspects of the job. POET and 3's are primarily to teach you the fundamental skills you need to know, and you will get equipment specific training depending on the unit you are posted to.

If preparation is your main thing, then make sure you get physically fit or maintain your physical fitness, adopt a good attitude and understand you may not get all the answers you want right away. Some things have to be experienced, not explained.

Tech wise - brush up on math and basic electronic theory. Everything will be taught to you, but it's easier if you have at least that.

Before I forget: HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR!!! ;D

As S1984 said, you may not even become a tech right away.

Good Luck!

well  i was found suitable for LCIS Tech in october 2009...although i havent receieved an enrollment decision yet.....how would this affect me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back