• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Where are the Desert CADPAT‘s?

• Thread starter fortuncookie5084
  • Start date
People are forgetting that it is not just the CADPAT combats. It includes the load carrying vest, flak vest, and helmet cover. Yes give them desert cam and then cover with a green load-carrying vest.

The desert CADPAT (I just found out this weekend) is just going up for bid now, so there is no way that it could or would be ready for this unexpected deployment. The CF set its priorities for temperate CADPAT as well they should. 20/20 hindsight doesn’t count. And after meeting some involved in the program (cbt arms I may add) are doing the best job they can, trying to meet our demands WRT the new eqpt.

And does anyone serious believe that the Bn CO hasn‘t considered that his BG is going into a arid situation with temperate cam. Either he didn‘t consider it a problem, or he is going with the best available. Don‘t you think that his Bde Comd, Area Comd, Comd LFC, Ops at NDHQ considered it. No matter what anyone thinks, these men holding these positions are professional and competent and will consider and give all to the success of the mission. They don‘t want to see anyone die as much as we don‘t. So stop being armchair strategists, because 3 PPCLI will do us proud with the eqpt they have

For all of you out in the MO world, and others that have not been there.
1. Yes we do have Tan Combats, but people order the damn thinks for ex.
2. We wore green in Somalia for months.
3. The US wear green there too, and not too many have tan flak jackets.
4. I would rather wear the old grren than the new there. If no tan.
5. Its the real world, money is tight.
6. I was on tours that we were short the old.
7. So there will be no change, we are the Johny come Lately Army.

Sgt J. CD,CDS com

Well, if nothing else, those nice shiny new greens should cut down on blue-on-blues. The Marines will be too busy laughing their asses off to keep a decent sight picture.

hopefully all this bad publicity will speed things along.

Why is that a lot of the NA guys‘ uniform among many other fighters over there have moderate colored combats? Aside from the fact that that is all they could get there hands on.

portiscully-
if our guys are going to be spending all their time in the camp, why the **** are we sending them? There are plenty of gates to guard in Bosnia....

I certainly don‘t expect there to be a stock of Desert CADPAT ready so soon, that would be unrealistic. However, our mono-color desert combats seem to evaporated. I don‘t know when we acquired them originally - apparently at some point someone thought the desert was a potential combat theatre - but I find it amazing that a stock wasn‘t kept around, somewhere.

We sent troops to The Gulf War, Somalia, Eritria/Ethiopia, Golan, Sinai, Morocco, so it can‘t be said that the idea of deploying to the desert never occurred to anyone.

Is it a big deal? Probably - otherwise, why would militaries invest in desert uniforms?

Of course the mission commander and everyone on up thought of this - but there aren‘t any solutions available now to fix it. The budget just isn‘t big enough to prepare adequately for all eventualities. And I think this is just the tip of the ice berg,a nd if it as the only problem it owuld be nothing to worry about. But crcaks are already beginning to show in other areas - like transport.

Not to nitpick, but nobody has the intention of our troops hiding on the Golan or in the Sinai. Everyone knows where the positions are, who is there, etc. Numerous large flags fly daily just to clarify it for those who can‘t count the white trucks with the big "UN" on the side.

Daily wear during my year on the Golan was standard combats or those funny tropical things -- most of the time with a unit T-shirt. Some people wore the dress tans.

Nonetheless, it would be nice to think we could at least afford the costumes to play our assigned part on the world stage -- particularly in theatres that are a little more intense than a 20+ year old PK mission.

National Post reports today that between 2000 and 2001 DND sold of the entire existing stock of desert combats to surplus stores. The combats were produced in 1992 and maintaind until last year. They‘re now on racks at Toronto surplus stores for $100.

Now which genius thought of that?

I realize that we weren‘t going to try to hide at Golan and Sinai, but I think it shows that deploying Canadian soldiers to a desert environment was not unthinkable.

Fair enough - but there are plenty of potential missions which are not unthinkable. Our focus remained central Europe and defence of Canada, however, even after the Berlin wall came tumbling down. With such an aim, urban combats would rank as a higher priority than desert.

You still have to wonder how much it was costing to store the tan cbts, and how much they sold them for.

Originally posted by Enfield:
[qb]National Post reports today that between 2000 and 2001 DND sold of the entire existing stock of desert combats to surplus stores. The combats were produced in 1992 and maintaind until last year. They‘re now on racks at Toronto surplus stores for $100.

Now which genius thought of that?[/qb]
It‘s an outdated pattern, what‘s the problem? They could have kept Khaki Drill around for years after adopting Bush Dress, too, but they didn‘t. Don‘t blame them, either. You adopt a new uniform, you get rid of the old ones.

Much ado about nothing.

Well, if you‘re going to buy new kit, shouldn‘t you keep the old one until you receive the new stuff ???It‘s like if I decided to buy a new TV next month, but threw away the older one next week... I,ll save a few cents on my electricity bill, but I won‘t be watching TV for a while... :sniper:

The government could have just bought the combats from a different manufacturer. It does not take a long time to put CADPAT into production, just look at all the companies that are releasing CADPAT products. On one of the other forums a guy is selling CADPAT smocks (same guy said he offered to outfit PPCLI in desert CADPAT smock + 2 pants for the entire battlegroup) and lightfighter is selling CADPAT chest webbing. There‘s also CADPAT bags and accessories at local stores. If the government wanted the troops to have the combats they could have done it no problem.

Reference the above post, though spacemarine‘s suggestion makes the most sense in wartime (that‘s now, folks) I‘m sure the DND has a contract with one particular manufacturer. Common sense does not apply in this case. A contract is a contract.

What‘s the word on a rumoured poncho/blanket spiel in beige or desert pattern being distributed to our combat forces? I‘ve heard talk but nothing authoritative. Sounds like a stop-gap until the MND‘s ETA for the CADPAT-Arid Climate, which is early summer.

Talk about "stop gap" - read this (CIL takes on a whole new meaning ... sure hope it‘s "anti-IR" latex paint)!!!

Canadian troops forced to paint uniforms
‘We were looking around ... at how much we stand out,‘ one says
(From Toronto Star)

CP PHOTO/Kevin Frayer
Soldiers of the Princess Patricia‘s Canadian Light Infantry shown at Kandahar Airbase in Afghanistan, Feb. 3, 2002.

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (CP) — A group of Canadian soldiers are using beige paint, brushes and sand bags in a chameleon act aimed at adapting their forest green camouflage for the desert environment of Kandahar.

Members of one platoon of the Princess Patricia‘s Canadian Light Infantry Battle Group, some of whom could be on patrol by this weekend, spent today altering their helmets, weapons and rucksacks in what could become a standard for the entire battalion.

"We were looking around — at how much we were sticking out," Sgt. Matt Austin, of Five Platoon, B Company, said Thursday.

"We took it upon ourselves, like all Canadians have done from the First World War, to improvise, adapt and overcome."

"We skillfully acquired some paint, and we‘re just blending our equipment as much as we can into the desert environment. And we managed to grab some sand bags and do our helmets."

It all started when the battalion, based in Edmonton, found itself with no desert camouflage when it was called on to serve in Afghanistan. Desert uniforms, they were told, would not be ready until the summer.

The soldiers had to deploy with the stark forest green uniforms, raising concerns about their utility and safety against a uniformly dull, beige background.

The issue was a major controversy in Ottawa, where it was framed as yet another example of how government underfunding has hurt the Canadian Forces.

In Edmonton, some of the soldiers had already begun spray-painting their gear, before they were issued a lighter coloured blanket of sorts that they could wear on top of their uniforms if needed.

But on Thursday morning — after a few days of being on the ground and taking in their surroundings — the Five Platoon‘s commander made the call that all the gear should be painted and shown to the battalion‘s top soldier.

Equipment, flak jackets and weapons are getting a light, patchy paint job with latex paint scrounged up from around here, sometimes topped up with a sprinkle of sand. Helmets are getting a light base coat, then a bit of netting to give them depth.

Commanding officer Lt.-Col. Pat Stogran is so impressed that if after a trial run the camouflage looks good, the entire battalion will have to fall into line.

"I encouraged everyone ... to be brilliant at the basics, and these guys are all experts at camouflage and they‘re doing what‘s necessary to ensure their safety," he said.

"I‘m particularly proud of the fact that these guys are using their initiative, their imagination."

Stogran is particularly impressed with one enterprising Five Platoon soldier who, prior to leaving Edmonton, had an extra camouflage blanket he bought himself sewn into a smock that could be worn over the existing uniform.

The concept was so appealing that it has been referred to headquarters back in Canada for possible mass production.

The smock has a hood, a plastic zipper, and "best of all, it breathes," its designer, Master Cpl. Chris Thombs said in an interview.

"Everybody is saying I should start working on my patent," he said.

"I‘ve released the intellectual property to the battalion, so we‘ll see what happens after that. I‘ve got more pressing concerns here on the ground."

While the Canadians are currently wearing all green, Americans on the base are dressed in desert camouflage — albeit with dark green flak jackets.

With preparations being made for the soldiers to begin operations, it was important to really look the part, said Five Platoon commander Glenn Cowan.

"We don‘t want to be just physically blending in, but emotionally and mentally," he said.

"When you take pride in what you‘re doing and you feel that you look the part, you know you‘re going to perform better. My football coach always said `look good, feel good, play good,‘ and I‘m using that sort of attitude here."

Canadian soldiers say they‘ve had the odd look and query from Americans since they arrived last week, but it hasn‘t been a big issue.

"They‘re more worried about us being here as warm bodies being able to do the job than how we‘re dressed," said Thombs.

While some soldiers blamed the government for putting them in this situation due to underfunding, Stogran said they just have to make do with what they have.

"It‘d be nice if we had attack helicopters, a Predator, and F-18s ... but it‘s really nice that were here.

"We have to focus on mission success and not cry about spilt milk or anything like that. You know the uniforms will come, but we‘ve got a job to do."
- 30 -

(sigh) If it‘s stupid but it works, then it isn‘t stupid.

Spo there I was watching the opening ceremonies on NBC last night.... everyone once in a while it would siwtch to a liv feed of American troops in Kandahar watcing the ceremonies. When the Norweigan team walked out, it switched to a live feed of Norweigan soldiers in Kandahar cheering.

And guess what? The NORWEIGANS have desert uniforms!!! Maybe the got‘em from the yanks, maybe they hav ethem issued, but they were not spray painted, self-made, or any other form of handicraft. Now, if Norway - a nation that doesn‘t come close to us in GDP, role in int‘l affairs, deployment of troops, and centers on homeland defense - has desert combats, I see little excuse for us not too.

Having been on Ex.‘s in the state‘s in the Desert and wearing green ,all‘s we did for vehicle‘s was make a lrge mud puddle and went made with broom‘s covering them with mud and as to our uniform we rolled around in the dust just to lighten the uniform and it worked very well!but a bitch at end Ex when we had to clean up :crybaby:

I saw norwegian troops in Macedonia, and they were the best equipped infantry around. All their kit was designed to fit together, and functional... looks like they had CTS a few years ago... :cdn:

Talking about Norwegian troops, I saw them on the news in Kandahar, and they were wearing US desert camo, with Norwegian flag patches on the sleeves. :cdn:

My company is making defense products from Camouflage materials including CADPAT Temperate Woodland (TW) the nylon mixed with the Cotton makes the material tough to mask with dirt, the CF research spent years on materials and designs so the Camo would retain pattern in dirt and wet conditions.

CADPAT has been rated best Temperate and Tropical Camouflage pattern by NATO soldiers in a recent scientific study.

The CADPAT AR is not yet available to the regular Canadian Forces. However, it should be out there in very very very limited supply. My site shows both patterns and the new MARPAT (U.S. Marine Pattern camouflage), which was developed with the help of the Canadians, based on the years of research, see: http://www.hyperstealth.com

Sincerely,
Guy Cramer

Nice site, who‘s the babe and what is so hyperstealthy about her?

Back