• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

I don't think it's just the RCN that is dragging its heels on that.

Or so I hear.
I think across elements is the same tune as when I try to get my kids to downsize their stuffed animals:
"Oh no... Mr. Fuzzykins is essential...."

Except

"Oh no... Unified Resolve is essential...."

I think across elements is the same tune as when I try to get my kids to downsize their stuffed animals:
"Oh no... Mr. Fuzzykins is essential...."

Except

"Oh no... Unified Resolve the Change of Command Parade for XYZ unit is essential...."
At least an exercise, at least theoretically, is useful since that's how you train with others and assess the force.

In the RCN and RCAF, multinational exercises are usually the only times we work with our partner allies with any regularity.

At least an exercise, at least theoretically, is useful since that's how you train with others and assess the force.

In the RCN and RCAF, multinational exercises are usually the only times we work with our partner allies with any regularity.

As opposed to exercises between the CAF Reg F and A Res which happen... well.... never ;)

I don't think it's just the RCN that is dragging its heels on that.

Or so I hear.
To be fair, when the CDS direction came out, two ships were already deployed. Should they have just ceased operations and come home?

There is also the small matter that GAC is intimately involved. Forces were committed to certain operations, by the Government of Canada, not CRCN or the CDS.

To be fair, when the CDS direction came out, two ships were already deployed. Should they have just ceased operations and come home?

There is also the small matter that GAC is intimately involved. Forces were committed to certain operations, by the Government of Canada, not CRCN or the CDS.
I'd put operations in the "essential" category.

Should the RCN still be operating the MCDVs, which were supposed to get paid off to free up people for the AOPs? Has the RCN been beating on the fleet like rentals for over a decade and never scheduling long enough work periods to get the required maintenance done?

The RCN has been ignoring this my entire career and it's just in a death spiral at this point. Martechs are at 50-60% PMLs on the coasts, that's insane, and it's continuing to get worse as the RCN keeps the pedal down on the OPSCHED.

Even before the CDS order they should have been begging to slow things down. Instead they are still planning on RAMPING UP TRAINING to a level higher than we've ever acheived, despite numerous instructor billets being empty, major maintenance needed to the schools and a general lack of throughput capacity..

Institutionally completely out of touch. So either CRCN and staff is getting their arses shined on or they are just ignoring reality, and not sure which is worse.

Institutionally completely out of touch. So either CRCN and staff is getting their arses shined on or they are just ignoring reality, and not sure which is worse.
My uninformed guess is that the RCN is pushing the fleet to the breaking point to try and maintain relevance within the NDHQ/SJS/CJOC circles. Those circles will set funding priorities far fast than having an L1 screaming into the void and being drowned out by the larger and costlier elements (CA and RCAF, respectively).

Doesn't make sense on the personnel side, but I can see that as a perceived Ace in the Hole when it comes to the new Defence White Paper/budget allocation.

That message will, I suspect, be delivered by this lady, and she may not even bother coming to Ottawa to deliver it.

Her "mandate" is: "to spur good-paying jobs, empower entrepreneurs to innovate and grow, and help American workers and businesses compete." Guess whose actions threaten the competitive status of American workers and businesses?
View attachment 74825
I have no idea who that is 🤦‍♂️

Back