• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

He's in Opposition with arguably the least popular Prime Minister in Canadian history. Trudeau was able to promise big and demonize as well in 2014, we see what happened afterward.

I have no doubt that what sweet words are spoken over cocktails will be completely different in the afterglow...

-Enforce home building with bonus for early completion and penalty for late building
Gonna nitpick this one. How do you imagine a CPC federal ‘enforcing’ home building and ‘penalizing’ late building? This is utterly outside federal jurisdiction, meaning they really only have the power of the purse. Do you believe the federal government should be financially incentivizing and subsidizing home building in the first place, to then be able to deny or withdraw funding to enforce compliance with federal plans? Because that predicates this whole thing on significantly increased federal spending in that area.

Gonna nitpick this one. How do you imagine a CPC federal ‘enforcing’ home building and ‘penalizing’ late building? This is utterly outside federal jurisdiction, meaning they really only have the power of the purse. Do you believe the federal government should be financially incentivizing and subsidizing home building in the first place, to then be able to deny or withdraw funding to enforce compliance with federal plans? Because that predicates this whole thing on significantly increased federal spending in that area.
The two areas the Feds have a direct impact and responsibility for housing is the military and FN Reserves. Both are a utter mess with no solution in sight. So I do find it funny for the feds (or the CPC) to blame Provinces and Municipalities for this issue. The only thing the Feds can really do is offer money in some shape or form to the other levels of government or tax incentives for landlords, builders, etc.

The two areas the Feds have a direct impact and responsibility for housing is the military and FN Reserves. Both are an utter mess with no solution in sight. So I do find it funny for the feds (or the CPC) to blame Provinces and Municipalities for this issue. The only thing the Feds can really do is offer money in some shape or form to the other levels of government or tax incentives for landlords, builders, etc.
Absolutely. I’m just saying that that sort of takes the wind out of the sails of any notion of ‘enforce’ or ‘penalty’.

Pretty sure that Pierre will win the next election, here is one of two scenarios my crystal ball tells me....

1. Status quo. He gets in with a majority, passes a few bills and makes some minor changes, but all in all, government still swells and spending continues going full retard and no real changes. Thats called 4 years to mandatory retirement for Pierre.

2. He follows through with his ideas and suggestions
-No new spending without saving elsewhere
-STOP giving billions to unsustainable industry (i.e. EV)
-Enforce home building with bonus for early completion and penalty for late building
-ALLOW or ENABLE the energy sector to go full throttle
-Match immigration to our infrastructure and society growth
-Reduce federal government work force (start with early retirements and attrition)
-STOP the failed safely supply and harm reduction (Big failure)
-STOP spending money on wasteful studies on hate, diversity, etc. (They are all BS studies, lets be honest)
-STOP the easy bail for criminals
-He probably has ideas on defence spending but not revealing yet

If he does those promises, I think he will be at least an 8 year Prime Minister
Everything on that - or any other - list that is not clearly a federal responsibility or is only something to make supporters feel good (and probably antagonize non-supporters) is just another furball that will drag him down. Avoid unnecessary battles.

Pretty sure that Pierre will win the next election, here is one of two scenarios my crystal ball tells me....

1. Status quo. He gets in with a majority, passes a few bills and makes some minor changes, but all in all, government still swells and spending continues going full retard and no real changes. Thats called 4 years to mandatory retirement for Pierre.

2. He follows through with his ideas and suggestions
-No new spending without saving elsewhere
-STOP giving billions to unsustainable industry (i.e. EV)
-ALLOW or ENABLE the energy sector to go full throttle
-Match immigration to our infrastructure and society growth
-Reduce federal government work force (start with early retirements and attrition)
-STOP the failed safely supply and harm reduction (Big failure)
-STOP spending money on wasteful studies on hate, diversity, etc. (They are all BS studies, lets be honest)
-STOP the easy bail for criminals
-He probably has ideas on defence spending but not revealing yet

If he does those promises, I think he will be at least an 8 year Prime Minister
If FRP is on the table again, I (and probably a decent chunk of my peers) will be a civilian tomorrow.

Knowing folks working in that realm, the “safe supply and harm reduction” piece only works with proper other supports. It’s like buying or introducing something without the proper maintenance, then saying “omg it doesn’t work” when it inevitably fails due to lack of maintenance.

If FRP is on the table again, I (and probably a decent chunk of my peers) will be a civilian tomorrow.

Knowing folks working in that realm, the “safe supply and harm reduction” piece only works with proper other supports. It’s like buying or introducing something without the proper maintenance, then saying “omg it doesn’t work” when it inevitably fails due to lack of maintenance.
Maybe PSRP, but I doubt FRP.

Absolutely. I’m just saying that that sort of takes the wind out of the sails of any notion of ‘enforce’ or ‘penalty’.
I think the Federal Government could make a fairly significant impact on housing by just doing those two things: build new RHUs on every base that has a waiting list. The impact in Ottawa and Victoria alone of having sufficient RHUs would be measurable. The First Nations housing impact would be even larger. With sufficient housing stock on reserve (or First Nations Housing in major cities, perhaps run a First Nations Housing Authority, like the west coast first nations are moving to in Vancouver), I am pretty certain that it could positively impact homeless rates. Granted, some first nations are really remote and it will be expensive building houses and supporting infrastructure, like water, sewage and electricity, but done right…

Why FRP if there is no Force to Reduce?
I’m sure there would be some argument to “reduce the bloated staffs in NDHQ”.

Jason Bateman No GIF by Emmys

How do you imagine a CPC federal ‘enforcing’ home building and ‘penalizing’ late building?
To be honest, I don't know the nuts and bolts of it. I didn't even know until recently that federal government had a hand in some home building (apparently been going on for awhile). My wild guess is that before the CPC hands out money to the ones getting 'er done, they put all kinds of strings on it and to be blunt, financial "incentives" (whips and carrots)

To be honest, I don't know the nuts and bolts of it. I didn't even know until recently that federal government had a hand in some home building (apparently been going on for awhile). My wild guess is that before the CPC hands out money to the ones getting 'er done, they put all kinds of strings on it and to be blunt, financial "incentives" (whips and carrots)
Ok, so really you’re talking about direct federal subsidy, contingent on certain objectives being met.

Wait - wasn’t that what the CPC was criticizing the LPC on doing a few months ago?

Granted, some first nations are really remote and it will be expensive building houses and supporting infrastructure, like water, sewage and electricity, but done right…
Subsidizing people to live somewhere they can't already afford to support themselves is a dead end. That applies to any remote communities. There isn't really a need for "company towns" where there are no companies.

@dimsum "Wait - wasn’t that what the CPC was criticizing the LPC on doing a few months ago?"

No, they criticize the Liberals for tossing out cash for home building and when things fail to follow through, they do nothing about it.

Subsidizing people to live somewhere they can't already afford to support themselves is a dead end. That applies to any remote communities. There isn't really a need for "company towns" where there are no companies.
Depending on the community in question, that can get super awkward when we inquire into why, historically, a bunch of people ended up in a particular settlement to begin with.

@dimsum "Wait - wasn’t that what the CPC was criticizing the LPC on doing a few months ago?"

No, they criticize the Liberals for tossing out cash for home building and when things fail to follow through, they do nothing about it.
Fair. The Conservative bill (which was defeated) was similar to what you had said, but directed at the cities.

Depending on the community in question, that can get super awkward when we inquire into why, historically, a bunch of people ended up in a particular settlement to begin with.
I take no issue with paying to relocate someone back to where they were forced to relocate away from. But if the original location isn't really any better, there's no point unless they want to shoulder that burden.

I take no issue with paying to relocate someone back to where they were forced to relocate away from. But if the original location isn't really any better, there's no point unless they want to shoulder that burden.
just like a big hunt camp. Love to live there but there's no way to make money. Same as people that say move to Cochrane etc..

Back