• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Alberta Election

atticus

Inactive
Reaction score
Anybody following the Albertan election here? I'm trying too. Klein said it was going to be a boring election but I think he was wrong, he keeps making it interesting with his comebacks, and his debates.

and his unwillingness to have a real debate or platform

"vote for me because I'm already in power and I know whats best"

good idea but it'll work in Alberta

i just hope he gets bit for it

Dogboy said:
i just hope he gets bit for it

I'm willing to bet he's only going to loose a few seats and will still have the majority.

You rail on Klein for not having a platform, and yet post nothing substantial about what you think he is doing wrong.

A bit of a dichotomy, no?

I'll be voting conservative once again.

It's hard to argue against success.

Personally, why does he need a new platform.  Doesn't one stating "We've given you over a decade of good government, an we promise to keep on doing it" seem to cut the cake?

lucking out with gas prices is not good government
the slash and burn with out replanting in health and education has gone on long enough
also his party is starting to become corrupt in power because its the attitude of who's going to replace us.
also hes lied with auto insh.
and makes false statements about people on gov. support
and he plagiarised a essay in university then used his power to get it covered up

Dogboy said:
lucking out with gas prices is not good government

Didn't realize his platform included lucking out.

the slash and burn with out replanting in health and education has gone on long enough

LOL - I work in the health care industry, care to tell me why you think it has been "slashed and burned"?

also his party is starting to become corrupt in power because its the attitude of who's going to replace us.

That's a perception, not a fact.  Can you substantiate this?

also hes lied with auto insh.

In what way?  Can you provide a quote?

and makes false statements about people on gov. support

Again, a quote would be good here.

and he plagiarised a essay in university then used his power to get it covered up

So what?  No one ever claimed Mr. Klein was a scholar - in fact, part of his popularity stems from the fact he is NOT a lawyer or professor like all career politicians seem to be.  If the worst this guy has ever done is not know how to properly write a school essay, I'd say we can do a lot, lot worse....and have.

I love the "oil prices" attack.  In that line of thinking, Liberia, Angola, and Venezuela should be reaping in the success along with Alberta.  There is something to be said for good government.

As for the other complaints, they all seem to be based upon heresay and a really weak attempt to find fault (A school paper?!? c'mon...) with the current government in Alberta.  I don't get it, it is the most successful province in the Dominion and yet you are eager to replace him.  What ever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

Infanteer said:
I love the "oil prices" attack.   In that line of thinking, Liberia, Angola, and Venezuela should be reaping in the success along with Alberta.   There is something to be said for good government.

As for the other complaints, they all seem to be based upon heresay and a really weak attempt to find fault (A school paper?!? c'mon...) with the current government in Alberta.   I don't get it, it is the most successful province in the Dominion and yet you are eager to replace him.   What ever happened to "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

Tactics that work well for the Federal Liberals....

Acorn

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/11/22/kleinelection041122.html
;D

I could only wish to have a Premier in Ontario like Ralph. Not that pantywaist LIEberal that we have now. :rage:

Too bad he didn't get the same number of seats.  I got a kick out of the liberals freaking out.  "Yay!  We won more seats, but we're still insignificant in the legislature!  Wee!!"  I'm looking forward to seeing the # of people who actually voted tomorrow...  I'm wondering if King Ralph lost seats due to conservative voter apathy or because there actually has been a shift in the political thoughts of Albertans.  Not in my riding of Calgary-Elbow, anyway...  Kinda nice to actually be voting for the grand-poobah, anyway.  :)

Here's the shocker...  Infanteer & Michael Dorosh - Good lord...  I actually AGREE with you guys on something...  ISn't the world supposed to stop now, or something?  ;)  You're right though...  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

T

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Trade him for Dalton?........please?

Hopefully, Tory will be Ontario's Ralph Klein in a couple of years. Toronto, as usual, blew it when they passed him over for Mayor.

The next election in Alberta should be interesting. Who will take the throne of King Ralph?
I nominate Dar Heatherington, just to make things interesting. LOL :)

Well, here's the final results.

PC    61
LIB   17
NDP 4
AA    1

I personally don't like Kevin Taft, that was all that was on peasentvision last night. He has one of the worst voices and speeches ever made I think "people participated in the most important part of democracy, tttthhhheeee eeeeelllleeeeecccctttttiooooon" :boring: I know thats pretty shallow but still.

Plus he seems really conceded now, since voters stayed at home he has an attitude like he's going to become premier in no time. I think that if the PC's were to ever vote in a pink tory, I would just be better off to go vote for the Alberta Alliance, their's no way in heck that we'll have a NDP or Liberal government in 4 years, or a 100 years.

I would probably say that next election the party which will make the biggest inroads are the Alberta Alliance. I think they were extrememly close to winning in three riding, and got second and third in a large number of ridings. Plus in Rural Alberta the Alberta Alliance was second. It is also well known that Albertan's tend to vote in completely new parties and not established older parties.

Futuretrooper said:
I think that if the PC's were to ever vote in a pink tory, I would just be better off to go vote for the Alberta Alliance, their's no way in heck that we'll have a NDP or Liberal government in 4 years, or a 100 years.

I would probably say that next election the party which will make the biggest inroads are the Alberta Alliance. I think they were extrememly close to winning in three riding, and got second and third in a large number of ridings. Plus in Rural Alberta the Alberta Alliance was second. It is also well known that Albertan's tend to vote in completely new parties and not established older parties.

Um, a pink tory?  Could you clarify?

I disagree with your comments regarding the Alberta Alliance.  While they did garner 9.2% of the popular vote, the seat they did win they did by a margin of 129 seats, (less than 1.5% of the votes for that area) and the only other riding they came close to winning they were over 300 votes shy...  As for rural Alberta they were in 2nd place 10 out of roughly 31 (less than 33%).

As to it being well know that Alberta tends to vote in completely new parties, what do you call the PC party of Alberta?  It's an older, established party...  I'm not sure if you're attempting to forecast the next election or not, but if you could clarify it would be greatly appreciated.

Futuretrooper said:
It is also well known that Albertan's tend to vote in completely new parties and not established older parties.

Really?

1905-1921 - Liberals (not quite 16 years - 4 elections)
'21-'35 - United Farmers of Alberta (just over 14 years - 3 elections)
'35-'71 - Social Credit (36 years and 7 elections!)
'71-present - Conservatives

Now, I'm not sure how many elections the UFA or the SoCreds fought before finally being elected, but the trend looks, to me, that Albertans tend to be reluctant to witness major political change. Also, it looks like that change comes about when a leader retires without a popular successor (i.e. Manning's departure sealing the fate of the SoCreds) it remains to be seen who will succeed Ralph in 3 1/2 years.

Acorn

Before Peter Lougheed the PC's were basically non-existent at the provincial level. Once they gathered a few extra seats one election, they won a majority the next. If you were to look at the history of Alberta their were no PC's before I believe 1967, I might be wrong. Plus I think that if Albertan's were to choose a new party to replace the PC's it would probably be on the right as well, which most Albertan's are. I don't think many Albertan's would be willing to vote in a Liberal majority government, when most of the members of the liberals are with the federal liberals also.

So I'd say that the only real alternative for Albertan's would be the Alliance if the PC's were to get a poor leader. Thats my own thinking on it though. If the liberals moved to the right then they might be a viable alternative. Pretty well the only real reason I think the liberals got elected was voter apathy, lowest voter turnout in Alberta's history.

Alot of my info I got off the CBC's website. You have to admit for a new party they did pretty well.

http://www.cbc.ca/albertavotes2004/ridings/

A pink tory is a left leaning tory, basically the same as a red tory.

DAMMMMITTTTTT

I just checked and realized I'm in one of the three ridings that voted Liberal.  And it wasn't even close.  Needless to say, I voted PC....

Ugh.

Back