• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Base closures?

By the way, in case anyone is concerned or wondering, everything I wrote above can be gleaned open source, ie the internet; I do have the luxury of knowing where to look though.

I can provide refs when I had some time if anybody wants them, but intelligent googling of the key terms will get you there.

...and this really belongs in a different thread.

The only base closures I can see in the immediate future are Goose Bay and Dwyer Hill. We're pretty much bare minimum as it is. Interestingly it looks like Trenton may end up losing its FWSAR capability.  Imagine all the closures if we contracted SAR like the Brits.

You're not moving Dwyer Hill without at least $500M in construction for a new facility in Trenton. Flash to bang on that its at least 5 years (more like 7-8), that's not immediate. You can't just up and move a unit like that, look at the footprint CSOR is all over Petawawa, and they're 10 years old without a proper building.

Goose Bay has been on life support for decades and needs to go. Liberals already have their votes from there, they can deal with the fallout in 3 years, and it'll only be one seat.

PuckChaser said:
Goose Bay has been on life support for decades and needs to go. Liberals already have their votes from there, they can deal with the fallout in 3 years, and it'll only be one seat.

5th Canadian Division is making extensive use of the base and surrounding area for winter/arctic ops....

Bumping up very old thread, but likely topical.

Which bases are to close to contribute to saving $1.5 billion? It’s unavoidable, so which ones will close?

Moose Jaw?

Edmonton? Both? They are in Conservative territory so there’s no meaningful blowback to the Libs in Ottawa.

Brandon?

Winnipeg?

Borden?

Suffield

Wainwright

North Bay

Shearwater

Gander

Which bases are to close to contribute to saving $1.5 billion? It’s unavoidable, so which ones will close?

Moose Jaw?

Edmonton? Both? They are in Conservative territory so there’s no meaningful blowback to the Libs in Ottawa.

Brandon?

Winnipeg?

Borden?

Suffield

Wainwright

North Bay

Shearwater

Gander
Close Valcatraz and relocate 5 Brigade to, oh, I don't know...Resolute Bay? Keep the fighter base in Inuvik and close MaggotBagotville? I say this since you left out a large population of the CAF and were interested in closing a brigade level base in Alberta 👺...yeah I know why, but phuque 'em...

Moose Jaw?

Brandon?

Winnipeg?

Borden?

Suffield

Wainwright

North Bay

Shearwater

Gander
Winnipeg and North Bay aren’t going anywhere - NORAD mission.

Shearwater is the main Maritime Helicopter base - where would they go? Greenwood isn’t exactly full of space and it’s across the harbour from MARLANT.

Moose Jaw has a bunch of pilot training. I suppose it could be folded into Portage but that’s unlikely.

Close Valcatraz and relocate 5 Brigade to, oh, I don't know...Resolute Bay? Keep the fighter base in Inuvik and close MaggotBagotville? I say this since you left out a large population of the CAF and were interested in closing a brigade level base in Alberta 👺...yeah I know why, but phuque 'em...
They won’t be able to keep their goats up there and I’m betting the Air Force won’t be willing to run alfalfa on a weekly basis. Perhaps Haiti?

They won’t be able to keep their goats up there and I’m betting the Air Force won’t be willing to run alfalfa on a weekly basis. Perhaps Haiti?
As much as exile there would be good, having been there, I see no reason to go back...we do however need to worry about our Arctic archipelago and need a larger permanent presence around Ungabungaluktutuk...

Moose Jaw has a bunch of pilot training. I suppose it could be folded into Portage but that’s unlikely.

I heard the opposite, move all of Portage to Moose jaw considering FLINT, FaCT and Frick and Frack. Keep all pilot training in MJ to avoid travel. Rumours are fun.

I think you meant Dartmouth? Or Eastern Passage?

Either close S/water and move it to Greenwood or rebuild S/water and move Greenwood there.

I really don't see the need for these two Airfields.

Outside the box, close S/water and move the Sqns to Stanfield and lease some space. Maybe move Greenwood there too, and make the presence at Stanfield a Det of CFB Halifax.

I challenge the premise. We do not have to close a base to return 1.5B. We return at lest that much unspent every year. Moreover closing a Base involves the making of a decision, so the Government will avoid that like the plague. The last thing the want is to announce a though out plan, when they can get away with planning a thought out announcement

Either close S/water and move it to Greenwood or rebuild S/water and move Greenwood there.

Outside the box, close S/water and move the Sqns to Stanfield and lease some space. Maybe move Greenwood there too, and make the presence at Stanfield a Det of CFB Halifax.
Shearwater isn’t a base. It’s part of Halifax. The just put $400m’ish into it. The runway was refurbished as helo only. It would take $100m to reopen it for fixed wing, plus the locals would be pissed due to noise.

Leave Shearwater and Greenwood as they are, unless…

In the current environment I don’t see them either replacing the Cyclone or assigning the money to fix its ills, so if the MH capability is divested then Shearwater goes with it.

Especially now that we’re getting the P-8 (a 737 frame), moving Greenwood to Stanfield would make some sense. It already services 737s and has the right ground equipment.

The problem would be space to store explosives (torps, sonobuoys, etc) as well as extra spaces to park 8-9 737-sized things. But hey, if Comox and Winnipeg could do it…

Shearwater isn’t a base. It’s part of Halifax. The just put $400m’ish into it. The runway was refurbished as helo only. It would take $100m to reopen it for fixed wing, plus the locals would be pissed due to noise.
There's the kiss of death right there - seems every Base closure I've seen announced in my life was preceded by a huge capital expenditure on said Base - Summerside, Calgary, to name a few...

The heat death of the universe will happen before the RCAF closes Cold Lake.

“B-but the jets must be next to the range!”

looks at RAAF base locations in south-eastern Australia and ranges near Darwin and Adelaide

Back