• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]

Cbbmtt said:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57457818-1/something-new-to-fear-cell-phone-separation-anxiety/

I'm so sick of being out with friends/family who check their phones once every 5 minutes. As soon as I know I'm going to be out with people, I turn the phone vibrate and only answer if it's the person taking care of my son but that's it. I think for me that is going to be the hardest part of Basic (If and when I make it), the unknown factor of how my son is doing.. sigh.

So your waiting as eh. It shouldn't take long. I have my second medical coming up soon, I get another crim check, & another interview. I was previously a res force but major screw ups in paperwork and I was sent to Borden, and then released because of the headaches. Now, getting back in.

I am all for electronics during basic, so long as it's in moderation, but I like to look at it this way.

If someone is going off and disregarding their duties to go text or use facebook, then they'll have the wrath of their whole platoon on their head when everyone has to pick up their slack, and I can guarantee from that point on that they won't do that again, unless they're stupid. When I think about it, it seems like a bit of a test of the mind, you have the ability to go on facebook and text, but you have to finish everything else before you are able to. It seems like a good idea to me, helps with prioritizing I think, until you get the jerks with no self control.  :facepalm:

kreep said:
I am all for electronics during basic, so long as it's in moderation, but I like to look at it this way.

If someone is going off and disregarding their duties to go text or use facebook, then they'll have the wrath of their whole platoon on their head when everyone has to pick up their slack, and I can guarantee from that point on that they won't do that again, unless they're stupid. When I think about it, it seems like a bit of a test of the mind, you have the ability to go on facebook and text, but you have to finish everything else before you are able to. It seems like a good idea to me, helps with prioritizing I think, until you get the jerks with no self control.  :facepalm:

Sounds sort of Pavlovian to me...

In your mind what is a gps blocker and what can it do to help you? Only when you are in the situation that the gps blocker is need you will understand how important and useful such kind of device is. Gaining more knowledge of the device? Just start at and then you will have access to the best GPS jammer.

thavtoohey said:
In your mind what is a gps blocker and what can it do to help you?
Take all the batteries.  People won't be able to use their GPS's and I can use the batteries for my XBox and other toys.

thavtoohey said:
In your mind what is a gps blocker and what can it do to help you? Only when you are in the situation that the gps blocker is need you will understand how important and useful such kind of device is. Gaining more knowledge of the device? Just start at and then you will have access to the best GPS jammer.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Take all the batteries.  People won't be able to use their GPS's and I can use the batteries for my XBox and other toys.

I'm guessing that spammer had a link in their signature block.  If so, I'm surprised it wasn't changed to link to the Milnet.ca Guidelines.

I personally cannot wait to get to BMQ. They can have my cell phone, all week long, 6 days/nights. I just want it for 1 day a week. My woman would be upset about not being able to talk to me, but oh well. She already complains about me going, but at the same time can't wait, so we can start our lives. It will be just awesome to not have her up my *** 24/7  :D lol

-Brandon

Brandonfw said:
It will be just awesome to not have her up my *** 24/7  :D lol

-Brandon

A moment of pure genius pops up from the mundane. Everyone should pay heed to his pearl.

MCG said:
If a person cannot go four weeks without smartphone, tablet and laptop - how does that person function in operational environments where they may need to be seperated from those things for longer periods?

Don't forget guys. This is BASIC Military Qualification Course. The point is to get them ready with the "military ways" not really to get them combat ready.

I doubt they will even have time to use their cellphones with the amount of work given in a day.

Um, lots of fighting.. I got confused.
So since I turned 18 this year I applied and all and am now just waiting for the call..

So assuming I get into BMQ next year, what are the rules for internet usage/laptops?

I'm really not a technological person, but seeing as I'm in a long-distance relationship, it's hard enough to see me s/o as it is.
Would we be able to Skype once a week even, or would there be time during (even just to e-mail, not necessarily Skype).

I read through and it mostly was about cell phones, and a few stupid looking people fighting for no reason, so I'm just looking for a more straightforward clarification.
Call me a sap, but I'm in love  ;D

And of course I do realise that I will not be able to make contact often, especially overseas, but for now I'm just curious for the frequency during BMQ, so I can put my s/o's mind to rest. :)

Thanks for the help!

polishman23 said:
P.S the new force test is also an example of the new military, can't pass the old one, make an easier one. So do not bash me cause you simply do not agree.

Just something I remember reading about the Marine Corps, and maybe just the US ARMY in general was that they changed their entry requirements quite often IIRC. Based on current hiring obligations, i they could be more picky certain years the physical evaluation targets when up, in years that they really needed more people to join/enlist then the physical standards went down.

Canada is awesome, but I dont think the old one was all that much harder than the new one.. I dont even know why I am writing you as you're probably not even on here anymore..

Anyway...Cant wait for my call to book medical/interview, etc...! Hurry up and wait

Good afternoon;

While training in Basic, SQ and Basic Occupational Qualification Training, are there times allotted on contacting home? With today's day and age with technology are smartphones prohibited in any of the 3 training stages? Skype, Hangouts or some other form of social media is how I am expecting to remain in contact with my son and family/friends during training.

Any input is greatly appreciated, I will also ask the recruiter during the interview, but I believe it is always nice to ask current members who have gone through the process/going through it.

Thank You

lazytitans said:
With today's day and age with technology are smartphones prohibited in any of the 3 training stages? Skype, Hangouts or some other form of social media is how I am expecting to remain in contact with my son and family/friends during training.

This may help.

Official Policy Change RE: Electronics during BMQ/BMOQ 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/103685.500

Thanks for the link. Looking over the first page indicates electronic devices are allowed eh. I wonder how much of a distraction, if any, this has caused. With being a manager I have had to tell staff to get off their damn phones and focus more on work, I do believe it is a distraction to ones performance at work.

I assume one can use it as a form of communication (as I intend to do) after the days training, cleaning is complete right.

lazytitans said:
Thanks for the link. Looking over the first page indicates electronic devices are allowed eh. I wonder how much of a distraction, if any, this has caused. With being a manager I have had to tell staff to get off their damn phones and focus more on work, I do believe it is a distraction to ones performance at work.

I assume one can use it as a form of communication (as I intend to do) after the days training, cleaning is complete right.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/103685/post-1202055.html#msg1202055

That's the nice thing about working in the signals world, even though we're nerdier and techier than the average bear, a lot of the time cellphones are banned for security related reasons.

In fact, that might be an idea, just put in equipment into the recruit school that requires a cellphone ban or standoff zone. No more room for argument.

Honestly, if you are the kind of person that needs to be checking facebook every 5 seconds, I don't really want you to work for me. It might it be acceptable for someone working in Esso, but using personal cellphones or laptops while at work doesn't cut it in ANY big person professional job. Most will fire someone that keeps pulling out a cellphone when they are not on break.

Yes people do need to be in contact with families from time to time (lets be honest here, no matter where you go, welfare phones and internet will be available periodically) and the rest of the world is setup around paying bills online or via the phone. I know some of the old fossils here that were in during the gold standard era still probably head down their local bank branch and pay their Brill Crème account or Speakeasy tab or whatever, but they're the reason "If you are on a rotary phone stay on the line" is still a thing when calling a 1-800 number.

The schools ought to provide welfare internet terminals in the barracks and a couple of landlines for students to use AFTERHOURS. Let the students have their cellphones if they are off for the weekend (#bitter because on GMT there was no such thing as weekends).

It's good training for students to have the sensation of being cut off from the rest of the world, at least for a while. They need to get used to that, at least until us siggies can get the damned satcomms working (what do you mean they changed the firmware!??!).

Scott said:
A moment of pure genius pops up from the mundane. Everyone should pay heed to his pearl.

Not sure how to take that  :-\ haha
(sorry, JUST noticed the reply to that)

Brandonfw said:
Not sure how to take that  :-\ haha
(sorry, JUST noticed the reply to that)

It means that out of all the handwringing and gnashing of teeth from people who have never even done fucking BMQ comes a pearl of wisdom - you were seeing the bright side: not having your 9er up your arse every five minutes. Don't worry, I was not mocking you.

If you cannot survive a little bit of time without your iThingie then you're in a heap of trouble. Serious.

Ooooh, okay  ;D Not having any electronics isn't a big deal to me. I use to go to a high school that was so far out in the boonies, that we did not even have a cell phone signal  :crybaby: But I was fine with it, some people was not. But all in all, if a person does not think that they can last without any electronics, they may as well not even apply, and go do something else. They think they will be texting on their phones while overseas? HAH, I think not. If I was over seas and seen someone using their cell, I would personally smash it, as I would rather have a person paying attention and have my back, than having some punk texting, and get me killed.....

Back