• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cap Brass

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cdhoult

So a bunch of people are like, "Man, I‘m stealing your cap brass at some point in time"....what‘s so rare about it? It‘s a Logistics Metal one....someone said something about how the colours are locked in, and can pop out or somethnig....

Anyone know?

CH

some cadets like collecting cap badges, at cadet summer camp, some cadets try to steal or trade or buy capbadges off other cadets

Hey, I have a few Australian ‘Rising Sun‘ hat badges as worn on the side of the slouch hats, and a few cadet patches too here if anyone is interested. Email me.

Cheers,

Wes

a capbadge is the insignia worn on the beret or whatever the regimental headress is

The Logistics cap brass is so rare because so many bases have become garrison bases. On a garrison base they issue the cap badge instead of the cap brass. I am currently looking into getting a brass myself for summer camp.

Where did that come from? The discussion was on cap brasses not army cadets.

Lately the only people I‘ve seen with metal cap brasses (in the CSS) have been officers and even then it‘s not that common. I know my wife was directed to take hers down and sew on the badge, but I don‘t think it had anything to do with being part of a garrison. I think its just a new directive for CSS types. I could be wrong though.

OK, I don‘t know about anyone else, but I‘ve got to clarify something. I‘ve been wearing brass, metal, cloth and even plastic cap BADGES for almost 40 years. I‘ve never, ever heard of them being called cap BRASS es. It might be a cadet thingy, but even way back then, when I was one, we called them cap BADGES . Please start using the proper terminology. This other term you guys are using is creeping into other cadets‘ vernacular on the site, and is becoming annoying. Maybe if you guys stuck to tradition, instead of trying to change things to suit yourselves, people may have a better feeling towards cadets. If you wish to use your own terminology when talking among yourselves at parade, fine, but when your being read by regulars, reserves, and civies, please use the proper terms. It‘s kinda like calling an APC a tank, it just irks us. ;)

lol, my apolagies. I can‘t even remember where I heard the term coined (I‘m originally Sea, so we just had Cap Tallies)....I‘m almost positive it was an officer, but my memory isn‘t the greatest!

CH

With all due respect, recceguy, we cadets at 337 were all taught the term "Cap Brass". I personally have heard it from our CO, QM officers, etc.
It is possible that this term is taught to cadets everywhere, but i‘m just going on what i know.

My old CO, who I‘m positive I heard the term originally coined from, was an ex-reserves CPO1...

However, from what I can read, it seems to be cap badges. You live, you learn :)

Originally posted by bilal:
[qb] what are cap badges??? [/qb]
if you want to know what they look like go to here to see a few from my father‘s collection

http://army.ca/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=General/Badges

:eek:

Most regimental cap badges were made out of brass at one time so I can see where someone may have come up with the term BUT they are cap badges. The newer badges like logistics are made from white metal with a gold coloured wash on them and enamel (paint). These are available in cloth, gold wire (for officers) or a mix of the two (also for officers). No brass. Frankly, if a cadet corps C.O. somewhere, who used to be in the navy, decides to change army vernacular, let him have his little empire but the facts remain the same, it's cap badges.

As far as guys that collect them, great. There are thousands of cap badges that have been worn over the years. When you consider the pre World War One regiments, the C.E.F. battalions, the post WW1 units and the WW2 badges, the changes that occurred when the Queen ascended the throne, there really are thousands of them. Some are very common, like the Artillery badge and some are quite rare, like the Garrison Battalion of WW2 or the 7th Mounted Rifle Battalion of World War One. For you guys that want to collect cap badges, welcome to the hobby. A little word of advice, start off collecting the badges that you unit ever wore, then go after all the badges in your brigade. Have some fun trying to find them all and take the time to learn the histories of the units.

The Logistics Cap Badge I wear is in metal. Officers have a gold-wire cloth version with a metal overlay, so the metal one is NOT rare. I heard a rumour in Borden three summers ago that the metal ones were being replaced with cloth. I noticed not a lot of people had metal ones, but I also know our stores have a bunch of the metal ones in stock.

And "Cap Brass" is not an actual term. I have copies of the dress regulations going back to the turn of the last century, and in none of the actual dress instructions is the term "cap brass" ever used. It‘s a juvenile term, like calling your penis a weewee.

Our Corp uses the term Cap brass. That includes the officers. I‘ve never ever herd anyone call it anything else.
When my father was in the Lorne Scots (70s) they called it Cap brass‘s. And The Lorne Scots today, call them Cap brass‘s.

Probably because "Oh, it‘s my cap chrome-plated white-metal" would sound weird.

I think we‘ve all agreed that as per the regulations, ‘cap brass‘ is an incorrect term. It came from somewhere, and I very much doubt it was just cadets.

We‘ve all accepted it, so how about we move on?

All the cadets may have accepted it, obviously we haven‘t, but it doesn‘t make it right. If you want equal footing "in your cadet capacity" with the rest of the military, you follow the rules. Both spoken and unspoken. This includes terminology. Like I said earlier, just cause it‘s got tracks, doesn‘t mean you call it a tank. If you really want to persue it, ask this CO to show you where his references to "cap brasses‘ came from. You‘ll probably hit a dead end.

I meant as in we‘ve all accepted that they are not to be called cap brasses, therefore I fail to see the reason for it being continually referenced. And as stated above, apparently some CF units are also making the reference to them as Cap Brasses. I‘m sure we will all do whatever is in our capacity to correct the term.

That being said, you also have to remember our place. Asking the CO is fine, but going up to the CO, demanding that he stop calling it a cap brass, and then I guess in the Lorne Scots case, we‘ll go up to the reserves CO and make the same demand....it isn‘t our place, as cadets, to demand anything. We can ‘suggest‘ it, or ask about it, but grilling your CO isn‘t acceptable.

CH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back