• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cap Brass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen "Chiefy",
First point taken.
Second point, I never said to DEMAND anything. I said ASK, and military guys here know that means through he chain or how to do it with diplomacy. We don‘t want to go down this road, my powers in a urination contest are greater and well developed. ;)

I‘ve met few CO‘s in my experience who would take kindly to cadet ‘asking‘ the CO to reference exactly where cap brasses is references ;) And if it is indeed incorrect (as we already know it is), what do we say to the CO? "Well, sir, I‘d ask you to please stop calling it a cap brass then, as it is incorrect...." It‘s not demanding, but it‘s not the most tactful thing in the world either ;)

CH

Your trying to put words in my mouth, I told you you don‘t want to go there. Smart mouthed kids, and pompous, arrogant cadet Snr NCM‘s may do something stupid like that, trying to show how cool they are. Arguing with their betters to prove to the kiddies what a hot ticket he is. More mature people would not even let the thought enter their mind. They would ask for the opportunity to discuss the question, cite the flak from this forum as reference and....... You know what? I shouldn‘t have to tell you how a leader is supposed to act. Your in a position of one, where you should know. If you don‘t know, you just proved my point. Now "move on" like you said. The Queen‘s Commission is to be respected not feared. :boring:

Hello all.  Thought I'd throw my two cents in regarding the metlal cap badge v.s. cloth.  It was my understanding that the metal version (admin, logistics, etc) were for the now defunct forage cap and the cloth one reserved for the beret.  Although I have seen instances where the metal version is being worn on the beret.

The Artillery calls the cap badge a "cap brass" it is because it use to be made out of BRASS. Now these two terms are interchangable and the fact that not everyone is in agreement here, show's that we are quick to put blame on the younger one's for stating something that they have learnt in the training.  If we could all grow up and make sure our facts were straight before we open our mouths the world and the CF would be a better place. As for the the original intent of this forum I have only seen one enlisted member wear one of those metal cap badges all the rest have been cloth so if you have one keep good care of it as it will soon be very rare.

I read this right out of the dress regs (sorry I can't quote the specific section and exact wording) but basically NCMs have the option to wear either metal or cloth cap badges; provided they don't wear the combination cloth-metal cap badges which are reserved for officers only.

metal cap badges are fairly common in the logistics side of the Navy. None for us "hard sea trade"s though. As for who gets what- there doesnt appear to be any rhyme or reason to which you are given, or obtain/recieve. However the metal cap badge is reserved for salt and pepper dress....as for badge/brass- I've heard both as well. Doesnt mean its right but its out there and I think the CF has larger issues than potatoe/potato so riding school kids about using the term they were taught by their superiors seems alittle wasteful. At any rate for me if my petty officer on a ship says the sky is purple and he's the Queen I reply "Lovely purple sky your majesty". Thats a military tradition more important than the term "badge", its called following orders and knowing your place. So if the kids are taught "brass" then its "brass" to them.

The Artillery calls the cap badge a "cap brass" it is because it use to be made out of BRASS.

No, the "Artillery" does not call it a cap brass. Your Unit may, but not the entire Royal Regiment. I spent 13 years in "The Artillery" and worked with all of the Atlantic Units, the School, W Bty, and a large number of Ontario and Quebec Units, and never heard it called that. I was a TSM in my Unit, and spent a great deal of my time filling in as BSM.

My father was an Artillery RSM, with 27 years in - as well, he has an extensive (tens of thousands of dollars' worth) collection of cap badges, and I have never heard him, or any other Gunner, refer to them as "Cap Brass".

I'm not saying that no one does - just saying that your blanket statement is erroneous.

This is a goofy thread    ::)

Adding to the goofyness and since the Navy jumped in here.... I'm pretty sure all airforce cap badges are sewn on. FOD would be my guess, since even our slip ons are sewn onto our flight suits. The peak caps would be the only exception and I think you had the option on them, I was issued 2 cloth cap badges and 1 metal one, cloth on the beret and wedge and metal on the peak cap.  Officers can wear the same hat badge (air ops badge) as the NCMs or purchase the gold wire ones on their own.

My view on cap brass vs cap badge vs hat badge, je ne care pas. I call them hat badges, I picked that term up somewhere. Us airforce types tend to be pretty logical ya know! Hats go on heads, and hat badges go on hats. The wedge is actually called a "Cap, Garrison", some call it a wedge, some call it a hat. It's the same with most kit out there, rain coats are "parka, wet weather" if I remember correctly, and when was the last time you heard your overcoat called a "coat, man's, all-weather"?  Would you believe we don't wear flight suits? They're "coveralls, flyer's". I think you get my point.

Cheers

Well, I thiught this had died it's well deserved death. Guess I was wrong. It should have been locked a long time ago. So, like Monty Python, "Right then, well, off you go"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back