• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN/US Covid-related political discussion

Warren Kinsella is less than impressed with our vaccine rollout. I tend to agree.

I don't get what Warren is on about.

I've been a lawyer for years and never once said or heard anyone say that "The solution to process, Your Honour, is even more process". I'm not even sure what "process" means in this context.

Canada has an effective vaccine distribution system - we exercise it every year for flu season and ramping it up isn't a big challenge. There were/are capable organizers. The problem seems to be a lack of supply which is more a contractual delivery issue (for heavens sake there's more than enough air transport capability going unused - so that's not the issue). It's not like there are big warehouses full of the stuff going unused. Everything is about who is getting priority on the first shipments and the next shipment off the production line. Is that a process issue that lays at the feet of "progressive" leaders?

I don't like Trudeau any more than the next Conservative but I'm not sure what he should be doing at this time which isn't already being done.

I wouldn't want to quibble but what exactly does it mean to say: “A common problem seems to be a focus on process rather than on getting shots into arms. Some progressive leaders are effectively sacrificing efficiency for what they consider to be equity.” Isn't getting "shots into arms" the "process". What role does "equity" play in slowing this down. Regardless of who is who in this "equity" question, an arm is an arm when it comes to "shots administered" statistics.

That there is a problem in Canada standing as number 37 on the list is obvious. But can we lay that issue at the feet of progressive leadership? I think we deserve a better analysis of what is going wrong and why our massive preordered doses aren't getting to Canada for distribution. I don't think that we'll ever see that answered. And for that I will blame Trudeau.

🍻

I guess most have a longer attention span then you....
You might.

I just follow the trends.

December, early January, LPC numbers up because the vaccine rollout started.

Then they dipped once the rollout ran into problems.

They will likely go up again once things hit the ground running in the next month or so.

If in September everyone who wants a vaccine has one and things start going back to normal, I know who I bet on getting the credit. And october makes 2 years into the minority parliament, so I think that's when the writ drops.

The more vaccinations early on, the less chance for something unexpected to worsen the situation.

I think the first quarter was always going to be a gong show while things ramped up.

Once things ramp up and doses start coming in on a regular schedule, and we start getting millions of doses a month, nobody is going to remember the slow start.

The PM said every Canadian who wants a vaccine can get it by September. If that remains the case, people aren't going to care how we got there, just that we did.
Didn’t he quietly change that to who “needs” a vaccine can get it by septembre? Sounds like a goal post change to me. And yes there is a difference.

You might.

I just follow the trends.

December, early January, LPC numbers up because the vaccine rollout started.

Then they dipped once the rollout ran into problems.

They will likely go up again once things hit the ground running in the next month or so.

If in September everyone who wants a vaccine has one and things start going back to normal, I know who I bet on getting the credit. And october makes 2 years into the minority parliament, so I think that's when the writ drops.
That's assuming he's still PM in September. It's also assuming he can keep his nose clean til then but I doubt it. He been stumbling from one crisis to another without really addressing the problems. They will pile up to a point where even his supporters will see the farce he's made of Canada.

That's assuming he's still PM in September. It's also assuming he can keep his nose clean til then but I doubt it. He been stumbling from one crisis to another without really addressing the problems. They will pile up to a point where even his supporters will see the farce he's made of Canada.
Nope. He will, in the three months preceding an election, promise unicorns and fairy dust to all and sundry, and hope that this will, yet again, secure him power. And there are just enough useful idiots out there to make this plausible.

Nope. He will, in the three months preceding an election, promise unicorns and fairy dust to all and sundry, and hope that this will, yet again, secure him power. And there are just enough useful idiots out there to make this plausible.
Or the opposition will find a way to shoot itself in the foot again and lose an election that was completely winnable.

It's not how you start, its how you finish.
There's a lot of people unable to finish that race right now because they're dead due to botched vaccine procurement. Statscan estimates show 9.3m Canadians are over the age of 60. We only needed to get 18m vaccine doses into Canada in 60-90 days to reduce COVID-19 mortality rate to almost nothing because the biggest at risk demographic would have been covered.

Here's the Liberal Party success story: 60 days after Pfizer and Moderna approvals and we're at 1.7m doses. We're only getting 550K doses combined per week until end of March. Using that metric, we hit 18.7m doses by end September. Not the 60m doses we need by end September to hit the Prime Minister's promise of "everyone that wants one can have one". The only way our deliveries will ramp up is when all the other countries ahead of us in line are done vaccinating, so we get the table scraps.

Not to mention Health Canada is sitting on AstraZeneca that's been fueling the UK able to get 16m doses delivered already.

The more vaccinations early on, the less chance for something unexpected to worsen the situation.
True.

Sadly for everyone it seems like the pharmaceutical companies were not prepared for this.
Anyone who calls a election during a potential third wave of the pandemic would probably be punished at the polls for it.

Which means he's likely safe until enough Canadians are vaccinated which he will then take credit for.

There's a lot of people unable to finish that race right now because they're dead due to botched vaccine procurement. Statscan estimates show 9.3m Canadians are over the age of 60. We only needed to get 18m vaccine doses into Canada in 60-90 days to reduce COVID-19 mortality rate to almost nothing because the biggest at risk demographic would have been covered.

Here's the Liberal Party success story: 60 days after Pfizer and Moderna approvals and we're at 1.7m doses. We're only getting 550K doses combined per week until end of March. Using that metric, we hit 18.7m doses by end September. Not the 60m doses we need by end September to hit the Prime Minister's promise of "everyone that wants one can have one". The only way our deliveries will ramp up is when all the other countries ahead of us in line are done vaccinating, so we get the table scraps.

Not to mention Health Canada is sitting on AstraZeneca that's been fueling the UK able to get 16m doses delivered already.

Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin, the military commander leading Canada's vaccine logistics, said 403,650 doses of the Pfizer vaccine arrived in Canada this week. That's the largest single delivery since shipments began in December. Fortin said that both companies are on track to meet their targets by delivering a total of six million doses — four million from Pfizer and two million from Moderna — by the end of March.

And an updated delivery timeline released by PHAC says Canada should receive millions more doses than originally anticipated between now and September. "We're now coming out of this period of limited supplies. It's an abundance of supplies for spring and summer, where we can have a significant scaling-up of immunization plans in provinces," Fortin said.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

Anyone who calls a election during a potential third wave of the pandemic would probably be punished at the polls for it.

Which means he's likely safe until enough Canadians are vaccinated which he will then take credit for.
He's never been accused of having a big brain, however his ego will be all for going for a title shot.

404 error and requoting yourself. If you cant refute the actual data just don't bother posting.

There are people dying right now waiting for a vaccine that the Federal government cannot provide. That's on no one but them.

Don't know why that link messed up, here it is.

Maj.-Gen. Dany Fortin, the military commander leading Canada's vaccine logistics, said 403,650 doses of the Pfizer vaccine arrived in Canada this week. That's the largest single delivery since shipments began in December. Fortin said that both companies are on track to meet their targets by delivering a total of six million doses — four million from Pfizer and two million from Moderna — by the end of March.

And an updated delivery timeline released by PHAC says Canada should receive millions more doses than originally anticipated between now and September. "We're now coming out of this period of limited supplies. It's an abundance of supplies for spring and summer, where we can have a significant scaling-up of immunization plans in provinces," Fortin said.

It projects that Canada should have enough doses from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna to fully vaccinate 14.5 million people by the end of June, and 42 million by the end of September. If the companies follow through with deliveries on schedule, that means Canada would have more than enough doses to fully vaccinate the country's entire population by September.

Hope that clears it up.

I'm sorry, but I find it extremely hard to trust a single thing this government says, let alone promises. So until all those vaccines are delivered and in arms, I'll remain skeptical that trudeau can deliver anything.

I'm sorry, but I find it extremely hard to trust a single thing this government says, let alone promises. So until all those vaccines are delivered and in arms, I'll remain skeptical that trudeau can deliver anything.
They did legalize pot, not that that has any benefit to me.

Back