• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Comparing the Regiments (PPCLI, RCR, and R22eR) and thier bases

I know of multiple examples and have heard tell of other examples, where Anglophones serving in support trades were posted to Valcartier, mostly for their own personal reasons. And there are also multiple Francos serving in Anglo-Canada, in Ontario and  even out in Edmonton.

But just to add, it is generally broken down by geographic location. Most people from Manitoba west opt to stay with the Patricias, the Francos go to the Vandoos and those from Ontario and out east become Royals. That is my experience anyways, and you can always re-badge down the road if you start out as a Patricia and want to become a Royal later down the road, or whatever floats your ship.

But the chances of you becoming a Vandoo without your consent are pretty much slim to none.

Nauticus said:
Just curious (yes, I did search) - can non-French speaking members of the Forces be stationed to R22eR? And can non-English speaking members be stationed to RCR or PPCLI? Are all bases bilingual?

Run away gun.... who said anything about it being a posting that was against his will?

For the most part, as an infantryman, you can pert much choose which regiment you join (though they might tell you that there are more vacancies in one that isn't your 1st choice).  All i all though, you make the choice for the Regiment & trhe CF will decide on which battalion you will get...  Mmmmm Shilo in February :p

I have known several people from NL who have made a personal choice to join the R22R.  Their French will always be "outrageous" but, it does improve.

There are many people from Quebec who have done quite well in the PPCLI... it's a personal choice.

This goes back a ways; we had a few troops (and good friends) from Quebec in Duke's Coy 1RCR back in the early 80's. Their english was pretty good though. I just came back from Bagotville a little over week ago doing my over 40 med. Talking to a few folks there I knew from NB; there's a good few anglos there in Bagotville - most have a good grasp of french. Some don't but I'm told it improves as time goes on....(not for me though apparently; I've been married to an Acadianne for 15+ years; both daughters primary language is franco - they always went to a franco school - not immersion. Spouse is posted here in Sept-Iles, HMCS /NCSM Jolliet on the lower north shore of Quebec to finish her 20 regs in 010. I'm doing some reserve time until then. There a few anglos - about 12 or so at the unit here; but only 2 of us who don't speak french as a second language). And before anyone inquires, yes I took french in school; done about 4 franco courses in the military- 2 in Chatham & 2 in Gagetown (intermediate level) with good marks. Tried for years to get on the year long franco course but always a no-go. My problem is I think I still have to translate most of what I hear in my head and i end up losing the the gist of the conversation.

One of the problems that some Anglos face, when they are posted to a Franco place is that, the francos will switch to their outrageous english - in order to bone up on their own 2nd language an mostly - in an effort to make you feel welcome. End result is that you don't get to work on your french as much as you'd like to......

Run away gun said:
But just to add, it is generally broken down by geographic location. Most people from Manitoba west opt to stay with the Patricias, the Francos go to the Vandoos and those from Ontario and out east become Royals. That is my experience anyways, and you can always re-badge down the road if you start out as a Patricia and want to become a Royal later down the road, or whatever floats your ship.

But the chances of you becoming a Vandoo without your consent are pretty much slim to none.

Generally, your geographic location doesn't matter, your personal selection does. Back in the day, our battleschool course (PPCLI) started with almost 40 people, all but two from east of Manitoba!

2 Cdo said:
Generally, your geographic location doesn't matter, your personal selection does. Back in the day, our battleschool course (PPCLI) started with almost 40 people, all but two from east of Manitoba!
Pshaw, lies all lies, we all know that everyone in the PPCLI are Albertan rednecks once removed from Cletus of Dukes of Hazzard! 
laughing.gif
  ;)

geo said:
One of the problems that some Anglos face, when they are posted to a Franco place is that, the francos will switch to their outrageous english - in order to bone up on their own 2nd language an mostly - in an effort to make you feel welcome. End result is that you don't get to work on your french as much as you'd like to......
Thanks for the info, guys!

See, I'm going infantry pretty soon (round 2...), and I hear they ask you which of the three regiments you would prefer. For me, I'm 100% English speaking, but I visited Quebec City a couple years back and absolutely loved it there, and I would love living there. But it's a Franco regiment, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to actually be posted there without knowing French.

I also wouldn't mind PPCLI. RCR wouldn't be bad either, but I was born in Edmonton, so I'd be more familiar with that city.

Up to you my friend.....

Anytime a franco leaves Valcartier for a national or international course or deployment, he's sorta forced to work with the people who are there with him - english IS the international language - so that's where everyone gravitates to.  Thus, many (if not most) francophones will develop some english skills
However - remember, once you make your choice, you're pert well stuck there for 3 years (notwithstanding courses & deployments)

I spent 37 years in the PPCLI and seen it all . Each regiment battalion has it's own character for some strange reason in a green pot where all should be one. But in the end you are just a number to be used manipulated and in the end spit out worn and torn . Heads up eyes wide open.

PAUL

PAUL AYERST said:
I spent 37 years in the PPCLI and seen it all . Each regiment battalion has it's own character for some strange reason in a green pot where all should be one. But in the end you are just a number to be used manipulated and in the end spit out worn and torn . Heads up eyes wide open.

PAUL

You seem to have spent a long time in to be so bitter, why didn't you release if you felt like just a number to be used manipulated ?

DO i SOUND BITTER ? I had a long a productive career just passing on some hard learned and true advice take it for what it is  :salute:

PAUL AYERST said:
DO i SOUND BITTER ? I had a long a productive career just passing on some hard learned and true advice take it for what it is  :salute:

Nice caps, my caps lock works as well, but you still didn't answer the question I asked so I will ask it a little differently:

During your "long a productive career" when did your feeling of being manipulated start? Are we talking years of being bitter or does this stem from the treatment you recieved as you retired?

YOU  obviously do not know much about the regimental system or you are part of the problem which I do not know or care . My advice comes from collective experience over many years take it or leave it

Easy there Mr. Ayerst - I'm not trying to start a fight here

Disregard the question and think it best we just end this

Have a good day and take care

PAUL AYERST said:
YOU  obviously do not know much about the regimental system or you are part of the problem which I do not know or care . My advice comes from collective experience over many years take it or leave it

I had a long retort typed up but then realized I'm not you and will just say "mind your manners lad".
Consider this a warning.

Bruce

Alright, so I haven't read all 25 pages of this topic, but I noticed there isn't much information about the Van Doos.

I noticed each regiment had a specific reputation: 'The PPCLI have a reputation as being cowboys, and the RCR have a reputation for being very annal'. Though I'm sure that's more of an opinion than a true fact, I was just wondering... What are the Van Doos renown for?

DeLessart said:
Alright, so I haven't read all 25 pages of this topic, but I noticed there isn't much information about the Van Doos.

I noticed each regiment had a specific reputation: 'The PPCLI have a reputation as being cowboys, and the RCR have a reputation for being very annal'. Though I'm sure that's more of an opinion than a true fact, I was just wondering... What are the Van Doos renown for?

I would say ..... cocky .....

At least that's what I got from when the lived down the hall from me. They had a sign on their door that read:

We are Vandoos don't fuck with us.

:-\

DeLessart said:

Really friggin' big berets...I remember seeing some of them around the Inf School and they always had their beret formed so that it covered their whole ear for the most part.

Back