• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Could a job well done hurt the CF?

Y

Yard Ape

Defence shouldn‘t be based on miracles
January 17, 2002
Southam News

Canadians have high expectations of the 750 men and women of our Armed Forces leaving for war in Afghanistan.

Soldiers of Lord Strathcona‘s Horse and Princess Patricia‘s Canadian Light Infantry are likely to operate aggressively with U.S. forces against pockets of al-Qaeda resistance.

No doubt they will do well. That is not necessarily to the Canadian Forces‘ advantage.

Historically, the Forces have done too well, too often, by creatively working around the difficulties imposed by outdated equipment, too few soldiers, sailors and airmen and a warm and fuzzy mandate that belied what armed forces exist to do. They have often provided federal governments with a journeyman job and a public relations prize.

They have also spared governments from the consequences of a generation of military atrophy. A creditable Canadian performance in Afghanistan will be presented as a vindication of military policy, but it won‘t be.

For the Forces, a few weeks of public esteem will be followed by more years of benign neglect -- at least, we suppose it to be benign -- and continued bland assurances that all is well.

The truth is the Afghanistan mission is tiny in terms of what modern armies do, but is a considerable effort for Canada. A successful outcome -- even the capture of Osama bin Laden by the PPCLI -- won‘t change the reality that this country has too few soldiers with too few modern combat vehicles or other equipment, a fighter fleet that is half-mothballed and warships that are tied up for want of crews.

Government‘s core business is internal order and external protection, but for years, Canada‘s peacetime preparedness has been the despair of its allies and its citizens alike.

Instead of giving the Canadian Forces priority, successive administrations routinely robbed defence to pay for other programs, relying on the United States for continental protection, and American and European allies for global security.

Meanwhile, the Armed Forces were used to advance social agendas of no military importance, at the expense of real soldiering. Firm handling of the Airborne‘s disciplinary problems, for instance, would have been a far more militarily useful measure than setting quotas for the recruitment of visible minorities or mandating that women serve on submarines. But the fighting regiment was disbanded, while $1-million was spent to develop a combat bra for Canada‘s 5,500 enlisted women.

By 2001, the Forces were having difficulty maintaining even the much- reduced complement authorized in 1994, when force levels were cut from 80,000 to 60,000 as a cost-saving measure. Modest pay raises and an aggressive recruiting drive have yet to restore numbers, although at least the direction is encouraging.

In a December interview, Jean Chrétien, the Prime Minister, wrote off critics of Canada‘s military unpreparedness as stooges for companies making and selling weapons. That was an egregious slight to a proud army with real needs.

A country that values its sovereignty must invest significantly more than does Canada in self-protection. The $11.2-billion allocated to defence represents just 1.1% of our gross domestic product. This compares to 3.2% for the United States, 2.7% for Great Britain and 2.5% for France. Even Portugal spends 2.6%. In NATO, only Luxembourg spends less. December‘s so-called security budget, with $1.2-billion to national defence over three years, was a start but does not do nearly enough.

As the new Deputy Prime Minister John Manley acknowledged last fall, when he was foreign affairs minister, Canada has freeloaded off its allies for decades. Here‘s hoping he and his colleagues walk that talk. As Canadian troops place themselves in harm‘s way to protect Western societies from terrorism, it should be acknowledged Canada has also freeloaded off its soldiers, giving them a knife and telling them to prepare for a gunfight.

It won‘t do. Canadians cheering our troops on their way must assume the obligation to compel the government to buy the equipment and above all hire the men and women it takes.

Every successful operation shouldn‘t be a little miracle.

Amen.

Do we dare hope that the current government would read this article and pay attention? Does having Manley as Dep PM make it more likely?

My funding wish list would be a short one - not identifying a specific number, and not asking for an inventory of equipment, but simply for a commitment to funding equivalent to the weighted-average of GDP percentage for NATO. A similar commitment to manning levels for regular and reserve forces would also be appreciated.

I‘ve argued elsewhere on this forum that: a) manning levels and equipment issues should be decided to meet identified tasks, and b) there is a practical limit to the tasks that can be assigned. This limit is set by the amount of money the country is willing to spend on defence.

By adopting a formula to set the limit, we would at least acknowledge a desire to pull our own weight. A reasonable estimate of that weight is to look at what our allies are doing. The formula would also help reduce the attractiveness of the military as a source of funding for other pet projects.

Ideally, I‘d like to see this sort of approach extended throughout government -- adopt a funding formula for each major portfolio based on the government‘s analysis and policy. Ideally, the funding formula should all use GDP, GNP, or some other consistent benchmark. The formula should only change when the policy analysis has changed significantly. While funding levels might vary, they would vary proportionately with other departments and there would be less robbing Peter to pay Paul (or Art to pay Anne). The onus would be on each department to manage their own affairs, not to look for a re-allotment of limited funds.

I just hope the point can be made before we lose a battalion in battle because of equipment and training deficiencies.

After all is said and done, I think the real question will still be: Does it matter?
When 3PPCLI puts up a good showing and acts the professional infantry unit they are, General Jean and Enswine Eggelton are gonna plaster big smug SEGs on their mugs and proclaim for the whole world (alright, CBC and CTV) to hear that, "See, there‘s nothing wrong with the level of funding or training OUR troops get. WE know what we‘re doing"
If on the off chance the kit deficiencies reach a critical mass and the BN wind up in a Charlie Foxtrot hairball where some damn fine soldiers are killed, then the Chretien/Eggleton Showtunes Chorus are going to lay the blame on the OC and everyone else down at the speed of light, and then probably disband them. (Hey, took the heat off them after one bag of excrement dishonoured the CAR and kicked up a political snit.)

Your point being, oh young Padawan, you ask? Either way, it‘s gonna be back to the status quo so far as the gov is concerned. They‘ve offered up their little political peace pipe to appease an outraged citizenry who is finally realizing the CF is being treated like an abused mutt, continually beaten for laughs and fed scraps, and our annoyed NATO allies. No matter the outcome, they have their little token force to point to when the Opposition tries to take them to task (as if the Opp could find their fourth point of contact with a flashlight, GPS sys, and pictoral directions). Then it‘s back to an official policy of neglect and criminal overwork, having the Regs play mommy to every ethnic group with a grudge going back to the time of Caesar. Just mind da crossfire, der, huh garsuns?

I say we throw every bit of professional and personal support we have behind the lads about to head over A$$ghanistan, and tell them to KATN and make us proud. Sure, as Reg F guys they detest us Res "amatuers", but dammit, I still love every grizzled, grunting one of ‘em. :) And I would still be one unhappy cherry if any of them got dinged.
If the gov is gonna tell us to bend over and smile anyway, we might as well show our fellow citizens that we‘re professionals no matter what.
Thus endeth the rant.

I‘d call you cynical if you weren‘t so damned close to the mark.

Btw, not all of us reg force types had a hate-on for the res -- just for the situation that results by not giving res soldiers the same commitment they give the system.

After the last few day‘s of new‘s were the Yank‘s treatment of thier captive‘s may be questionable and thier legal right‘s are in question lead‘s me as a member of the Canadian Force‘s if I was over in Afgahnistan to question every order and if this is so,this would effect my operational ability due to the fact " WILL I GO TO JAIL" if I carry out this order etc.

The Yank‘s are provining that do as I say not as I do reign‘s and thier own Constitution only effect‘s
American‘s! and not any one else .

I know this may stir up some **** but every one in this world has right‘s no matter what thay have done i.e. the Nuremburg Trial‘s and the same should still hold to day.

Back