• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

EX Stalwart Guardian

Thanks, that sounds exciting.

Now, how is the forming of this composite unit is going to work, since a lot of LFCA jumpers are non-infantry (armoured, MPs, medics, etc). In addition, most of the jumpers tend to be the most switched on soldiers and/or of a leadership rank (officers or NCOs). I suspect the units will be reluctant to let these valuable pers go. So who makes the decision if a jumper is to go away with the para coy, or to stay with the home unit? Is this going to be on a "push" or "pull" basis?

Because you told him :)

"I was part of the group running the Helicopter stand at SG03. I was the Cpl by the Met Shack watching everything"

He‘s right on this one, the actual insertions into the LZ were balls-to-the-wall. All of us had belts off the moment the choppers hit the ground, and we were unloaded about 15 seconds later. I can‘t speak for every single chauk, but my chopper was on the ground for no more than 30 seconds. What you‘re probably talking about is the training we did the previous day, which was done at a slower pace in order to properly instruct troops who had never done it before.

I know what I said, but that was only the first half of the ex. The second half I was driving my observer controllers all over the place, so I did see many other things including some landing and takeoffs.

I had an ok time last year‘s Stalwart Guardian (got thrown around a lot...) and will be on this year‘s.

Anyone else have one of those bumper stickers? :D Mine is going on my pipe case :)

Well, there are so many of those stickers lying around...

Is it that absolutely necessary to spam the troops so many advertisements?

Bratok: The Para Coy Gp will be pre-dominantly Infantry. There is a medic, a FED (Fire Effects Det - used to be called a FOO Tm), and Engr Det and a Pathfinder Det. The posns were allocated equally to the 3 Brigades, with the QOR being tasked to provide the Coy HQ. On 6 May, any postions unfilled by 31 and 33 CBG will be re-assigned to 32 CBG - so essentially it is a pull system. The Bdes can allocate their vacancies as they see fit. If you have not already been told by your chain of command that you are in the Para Coy, you probably aren‘t - and if you never requested to be part of it, you certainly aren‘t. Let me know how it works out...

Originally posted by RoyalHighlandFusilier:
[qb] Is it that absolutely necessary to spam the troops so many advertisements? [/qb]
The essential problem of planning a large Reserve Exercise is that the troops have to want to come. Last years ex was set for up to 3000 troops - we got about 2200. This year we are planning on 3000 Reserves, and 500 Regs. I felt that last year part of the problem was with our internal communications campaign, and so I allocated $60K to this years campaign. That includes the video, the banners and "bumper stickers" and the 30 second trailers (which are starting to roll out now). I admit that it will be dificult to quantify the success of the campaign (other than looking at the number of troops that show up), but felt that it was worth a shot. Given that the budget for the Ex (not including ammo, which is accounted for separately) is $4.5M, the cost seems justified. Moreover, we will have some quality product for our media campaign.

The other method that we are using to try and increase attendance is that all Cl B contracts for ARC will end on 2 Sep. This will be for students and staff, so in essence, you must attend SG 04 if you are on ARC this year. This is also the means that we use to ensure that pers on ARC get paid for their full entitlement for leave and stat holidays.

It would help a lot for troops to decide whether to ask for time off from work if they know more about the exercise other than what‘s shown on bumper sticker or the banner.

Frankly sir, a lot of troops were quite disappointed with last year‘s ex and some have said they‘ll probably not try to get time off from work because they don‘t have much expectation about this year‘s SG.

So if more info get passed down detailing more about the exercise, planned activity, etc, it would convince more troops that this will be a time well spent. :)

Originally posted by RoyalHighlandFusilier:
[qb] It would help a lot for troops to decide whether to ask for time off from work if they know more about the exercise other than what‘s shown on bumper sticker or the banner.

Frankly sir, a lot of troops were quite disappointed with last year‘s ex and some have said they‘ll probably not try to get time off from work because they don‘t have much expectation about this year‘s SG.

So if more info get passed down detailing more about the exercise, planned activity, etc, it would convince more troops that this will be a time well spent. :) [/qb]
Well I‘m not G3 LFCA, but I think this is his site. It was posted earlier in this thread. Read this and you will know as much as anyone in LFCA.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lfca/ExstalwartGuardian/english/Homepage.asp

If you need more info I‘m sure there can be more made available.

You‘re assuming that older army guys browse the ‘Net a lot, let alone browse the DND website. :)

There is also a 7 minute video that has been distributed to every unit - 3 VHS tapes, and 10 x CDs. Hopefully, everyone will get a chance to see the video - it lays out the plan pretty well.

A poster even showed up onto my school‘s wall in the hallway.

There is a little RHLI recruiting sticker on it that I‘m tempted to rip off :p

Alright, can I get a clarification? Since when have desert boots (ISSUED EQUIPMENT) been subject to being outlawed on field exs? Particularly in a sandy and hot training area like Pet in August? The "kit list" says that DBs are persona non grata for SG 04 and says something like "via direction from CLS". Has anyone seen a CANLANDGEN or CANFORGEN that says DBs may not be used on ex anymore? Or is this some backroom assent given to some SNCO to satisfy his requirement to make SG "all drill, no kill?" Or is this to make sure the troops are all cookie-cutter goodness for the media and the truthmakers at the Maple Leaf to photograph during one big canine and equestrian showcase? Say all you wish about "image perception" and all that other wash with the big "Band of Brothers" rip-off posters, but the troops aren't stupid. And telling them (the troops that do the walking, running, and jumping about in the training area) that they can't select the best (ISSUED) equipment for the job is far more likely to drive them off than shiny posters are to bring them in.

Soubds stupid, I know.  Our regiment were told no dessies either.  Strangely enough, Jungle boots were ok'd, and mine aren't even CF issues, I bought them.

I took a look at the kit list online, and I think I'll be travelling light.  With a ranger blanket and fleece sleeping bag liner, I can't see why I would need the inner/outer ARCTIC sleeping bags.  I now am the proud owner of no less than 5 pairs of boots, and I'll be damned if I am going to lug them all around for only 8 days.

But I've got a problem... my fancy cadpat bush cap was lost during our SUE to Florida in June, and the only one I have is the crappy fisherman-style OD green bush cap now.  I am told the ASU isn't open until Sept., and Meaford won't do lost kit replacement (unless perhaps you're on course there, which I am not).  Any ideas on how I can get another bushcap?  Are any surplus stores selling them yet?

I might have to get a woodland camo US version, but people will know I've never been to Bosnia, the only time they issued those to our troops (or so I am told).

SG04... yay! 

Port, you can get one at sealsactiongear.com . Although it's a reversible.

I am Reg Force and I am finding alot of complaining about this EX. This EX is for the reserves/militia to shake out thier learned skills to enable you to augment the Reg Force when required. There will be Reg Force on this EX as well supporting you not just the Reserves, as with every EX the Reserves do as a combined Force. ie: field kitchens etc. What happened last year I don't know however, at every end of an ex there is what is called a "lessons learned" report. If your units did not provide these reports then how can anything be changed?? I am sure your units did this, because it sounds as though very few were happy with the training.This year you will learn or hone skills but you will have fun too.
So what if you eat a few IMPs,  :crybaby: it won't be that bad. Yes the folks overseas were on IMPs for a very long time. If you were able to eat pizza last year what is the problem?? Try it without pizza. Hayboxes are great however, I'd rather have hot IMPs than a cold egg. Pizza?? Wow, when I read the pizza comment I thought to myself, why are they complaining??
Anyways, nuff said, hope you'll all join me on EX. We'll be waiting for you. ;D

I am following this thread with interest, since our own Brigade is about to launch troops off to Ex ACTIVE EDGE, which is LFWAs first kick at a MILCON in several years, since the rather discredited and ill-remembered ON GUARD series (sometimes referred to as the "OH GOD series..."

I am of two minds on this. And, by the way, our Brigade expressed our concerns in writing to our Area Commander, so I am not being disloyal or telling tales out of school.

In my first take, I sympathize fully with the G3 of LFCA (is that you, Dave A...??) I have done the job he's doing, a few years back. The biggest single challenge we face in our Brigade is communication. (we cover the turf from Thunder Bay ON to Prince Albert SK) Trying to get accurate info to the Armoury floor is an endless struggle.We use the chain of command (two teleconferences a month with units, e-mail, etc.), we use our Brigade newsletter,   we try posters and portable signs, our Brigade website, the RSM net, the FTS net, and the Commander travels and speaks as much as he can. Still, I never cease to be frustrated (if not to say shocked...) by how little understanding many folks down in the units have. I have stood in a Sgts Mess and had Snr NCOs beat me up about the horrible things us monsters up at Bde have said/done/failed to do etc, only to have to correct these senior soldiers on what was actually said/done/intended. It's scary, and I'm not sure how to beat it. So, even a great exercise might not get the chance it deserves if the troops aren't getting the facts.

In my second take, in our Bde we strongly question the desire to conduct "high level" exercises (anything above Level III/IV) at all. We want to see what the return on the investment will be, and what trg really needs to be run by Area vice resourcing us to run good training ourselves, where this is practical. In this frame of mind I tend to sympathize with those posters who have described the waste of training time that goes on in some of these FTX that are pitched too high. Our current position is that as a Bde we can run good, challenging Level III/IV training. We just ran our own FTX this May in the Kenora area. Lots of problems, but lots of success too, and it was focused at the lower levels. We hope to run these again in the future, with the emphasis on Level III/IV (This is, after all, the limit that Res CBGs are resourced and mandated for anyway...)

I believe in the value of field training, but I think that we must focus our resources very strictly in the Army Reserve. We should work to deliver the best quality stuff at Level III in a level IV setting, without cramming in too many BTS, or letting the primary training audience focus creep upwards. If we are going to train leaders for levels V and VI, we should be making maximum use of simulation, and disciplining any FTX at these levels so that no precious training time is wasted. Time, in my opinion, is the real enemy of the Army Reserve, not money. In our Brigade I have rarely seen a unit run out of   money in the two years I have been here, but I often see them (and us, and the whole Army Reserve training system) run out of time.

I know that many will disagree with me and I invite you to do so. Thrash away! Cheers.

pbi said:
I am following this thread with interest, since our own Brigade is about to launch troops off to Ex ACTIVE EDGE, which is LFWAs first kick at a MILCON in several years, since the rather discredited and ill-remembered ON GUARD series (sometimes referred to as the "OH GOD series..."

I am of two minds on this. And, by the way, our Brigade expressed our concerns in writing to our Area Commander, so I am not being disloyal or telling tales out of school.

In my first take, I sympathize fully with the G3 of LFCA (is that you, Dave A...??) I have done the job he's doing, a few years back. The biggest single challenge we face in our Brigade is communication. (we cover the turf from Thunder Bay ON to Prince Albert SK) Trying to get accurate info to the Armoury floor is an endless struggle.We use the chain of command (two teleconferences a month with units, e-mail, etc.), we use our Brigade newsletter,   we try posters and portable signs, our Brigade website, the RSM net, the FTS net, and the Commander travels and speaks as much as he can. Still, I never cease to be frustrated (if not to say shocked...) by how little understanding many folks down in the units have. I have stood in a Sgts Mess and had Snr NCOs beat me up about the horrible things us monsters up at Bde have said/done/failed to do etc, only to have to correct these senior soldiers on what was actually said/done/intended. It's scary, and I'm not sure how to beat it. So, even a great exercise might not get the chance it deserves if the troops aren't getting the facts.

In my second take, in our Bde we strongly question the desire to conduct "high level" exercises (anything above Level III/IV) at all. We want to see what the return on the investment will be, and what trg really needs to be run by Area vice resourcing us to run good training ourselves, where this is practical. In this frame of mind I tend to sympathize with those posters who have described the waste of training time that goes on in some of these FTX that are pitched too high. Our current position is that as a Bde we can run good, challenging Level III/IV training. We just ran our own FTX this May in the Kenora area. Lots of problems, but lots of success too, and it was focused at the lower levels. We hope to run these again in the future, with the emphasis on Level III/IV (This is, after all, the limit that Res CBGs are resourced and mandated for anyway...)

I believe in the value of field training, but I think that we must focus our resources very strictly in the Army Reserve. We should work to deliver the best quality stuff at Level III in a level IV setting, without cramming in too many BTS, or letting the primary training audience focus creep upwards. If we are going to train leaders for levels V and VI, we should be making maximum use of simulation, and disciplining any FTX at these levels so that no precious training time is wasted. Time, in my opinion, is the real enemy of the Army Reserve, not money. In our Brigade I have rarely seen a unit run out of   money in the two years I have been here, but I often see them (and us, and the whole Army Reserve training system) run out of time.

I know that many will disagree with me and I invite you to do so. Thrash away! Cheers.

I totally agree with you. The problem with "reports" after an ex or training is, it is continually filtered so as not to "upset" the upper ech and to make thier units look bad. As well, we as NCMs get filtered info from above therefore, nothing is ever done about so called problems. Everyone is looking for that one break that may promote them. Some are not in that frame of mind and continually try to look out for the troops, this in itself is frustrating.
On the other hand all pers at all levels/ranks Pte/LT and up, need training to develop. All ranks can be leaders not just the text book leaders. I find alot of JR Officers are not in a position to lead and the pers they are supposedly leading have more experience or "common sense" than they do, therefore they are indeed in need of training to perform the role they are filling.Yet, due to the experienced pers "below" them, they end up looking good and credit given them and ultimately get promoted. "You are only as good as the pers that work for you". This creates several commanding positions not knowing, not understanding or avoiding the needs of the troops.
It is unfortunate but, the truth   always hurts.    :-X

You might be surprised to know that I agree with much of what you have said. OK--now--what should we do about it? Cheers.

Back