• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Government & Union spar over returning to office

WFH is something that should be at the managerial level. Some people can WFH and some can only vacation at home. The manager should know the difference and delegate accordingly.
Except that as soon as a manger tells Employee X they need to come into the office, while employee Y can work from home full time, there will be a grievance filed. Even if the manager has everything documented on paper, including proof that a set of metrics was developed and briefed to all employees to which they were being evaluated against, the result may still go in the employee's favour.

And speaking of metrics, how many of your managers have given you a set of metrics, or daily/weekly/monthly goals you need to meet while WFH? If you are a claims clerk, have you been told how many claims you are expected to complete in a day? If you are responding to trouble calls, is there a minimum number of calls you need to answer, or issues you need to resolve?

This is where I believe that management has failed across the PS. If there were no targets to meet, how can you say someone is goofing off at home, or is inefficient in using their time, or maybe just doesn't fully understand how to do their job, and thus takes longer to complete tasks. Or maybe the individual knows they can meet all their targets in 6 hours instead of 8, so they take long lunches and call it quits early.

Except that as soon as a manger tells Employee X they need to come into the office, while employee Y can work from home full time, there will be a grievance filed. Even if the manager has everything documented on paper, including proof that a set of metrics was developed and briefed to all employees to which they were being evaluated against, the result may still go in the employee's favour.

And speaking of metrics, how many of your managers have given you a set of metrics, or daily/weekly/monthly goals you need to meet while WFH? If you are a claims clerk, have you been told how many claims you are expected to complete in a day? If you are responding to trouble calls, is there a minimum number of calls you need to answer, or issues you need to resolve?

This is where I believe that management has failed across the PS. If there were no targets to meet, how can you say someone is goofing off at home, or is inefficient in using their time, or maybe just doesn't fully understand how to do their job, and thus takes longer to complete tasks. Or maybe the individual knows they can meet all their targets in 6 hours instead of 8, so they take long lunches and call it quits early.
How many people have a metric for working from the office? What metrics even make sense?

I can't think of any job I've had in DND where production based metrics would ever even make sense. When I worked in a lumber yard, we did it by processed by board feet. When I worked in a recycling plant we went by tonnage. That was all reasonably within our control, unless machinery broke down, or when the 2x3s caused a line shut down every 5 minutes. I don't have anything remotely that simple anymore.

My job description is basically 'cover off this broad range of equipment', with a general understanding that will to deal with resource constraints and rapidly changing priorities, with a lot of thing out of our control. My plan for the day usually is out the window by 9 am.

If overall expectation is 'deal with things as they come up' and things are dealt with as they come up, job's a good'un. Where I work doesn't change anything.

Something simple like 'project on time' is difficult, because no one is doing their project in isolation and there are dozens of external things that will kill you schedule, and opportunities to get ahead are very limited. We will call people project managers, then kneecap all the tools they should have to actually project manage anything with crippling oversight, or requiring implementation to be done by other orgs. The 'achievable, relevant and time bound' part of the SMART goals is fluid, at best.

If you want metrics, give people real authority and control, and then hold them accountable. Very few people have both (outside an extremely narrow focus and limitations)

If you want metrics, give people real authority and control, and then hold them accountable. Very few people have both (outside an extremely narrow focus and limitations)

Sounds like leadership to me which, sadly, can be lacking all too often ;)

Reactions: ueo
DRMIS has one person that can do certain entries and it really is annoying.

Ugh. What’s their ‘hit by a bus’ plan? Redundancy of capabilities is key.

I’ve been working on a complex and aggravating thing for a few years, and I kept showing up so eventually they put me in charge of it. A couple of times I’ve inherited roles and responsibilities, with or without warning. This thing’s got a lot of peculiarities and processes that are outside my norm. The things that have had to hand off without prep have been rocky. Recently another team started up work on something similar with many of the same challenges. I had the opportunity to brief them on the stumbling blocks and friction points we had, and one of the things I absolutely hammered home is having three people who can do each thing. I also reinforced that it can’t just be a paper exercise of ‘designated survivor’, but that there needs to be active shadowing of roles so that if someone shows up on Monday to find that they’ve inherited a role, they should have been prepped for it and are able to run with it. Putting time in up front is a hell of a lot better than trying to catch it up on the back end.

I think the plan is to finally have someone new in there actually do it and clear the massive backlog.

Oh, what a surprise... not

The working-from-home illusion fades​

It is not more productive than being in an office, after all​

A gradual reverse migration is under way, from Zoom to the conference room. Wall Street firms have been among the most forceful in summoning workers to their offices, but in recent months even many tech titans—Apple, Google, Meta and more—have demanded staff show up to the office at least three days a week. For work-from-home believers, it looks like the revenge of corporate curmudgeons. Didn’t a spate of studies during the covid-19 pandemic demonstrate that remote work was often more productive than toiling in the office?
Listen to this story. Enjoy more audio and podcasts on iOS or Android.

Unfortunately for the believers, new research mostly runs counter to this, showing that offices, for all their flaws, remain essential. A good starting point is a working paper that received much attention when it was published in 2020 by Natalia Emanuel and Emma Harrington, then both doctoral students at Harvard University. They found an 8% increase in the number of calls handled per hour by employees of an online retailer that had shifted from offices to homes. Far less noticed was a revised version of their paper, published in May by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. The boost to efficiency had instead become a 4% decline.

The researchers had not made a mistake. Rather, they received more precise data, including detailed work schedules. Not only did employees answer fewer calls when remote, the quality of their interactions suffered. They put customers on hold for longer. More also phoned back, an indication of unresolved problems.

The revision comes hot on the tails of other studies that have reached similar conclusions. David Atkin and Antoinette Schoar, both of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Sumit Shinde of the University of California, Los Angeles, randomly assigned data-entry workers in India to labour either from home or the office. Those working at home were 18% less productive than their peers in the office. Michael Gibbs of the University of Chicago and Friederike Mengel and Christoph Siemroth, both of the University of Essex, found a productivity shortfall, relative to prior in-office performance, of as much as 19% for the remote employees of a large Asian it firm. Another study determined that even chess professionals play less well in online matches than face-to-face tilts. Yet another used a laboratory experiment to show that video conferences inhibit creative thinking.

The reasons for the findings will probably not surprise anyone who has spent much of the past few years working from a dining-room table. It is harder for people to collaborate from home. Workers in the Fed study spoke of missing their “neighbours to turn to for assistance”. Other researchers who looked at the communication records of nearly 62,000 employees at Microsoft observed that professional networks within the company become more static and isolated. Teleconferencing is a pale imitation of in-the-flesh meetings: researchers at Harvard Business School, for example, concluded that “virtual water coolers”—rolled out by many companies during the pandemic—often encroached on crowded schedules with limited benefits. To use the terminology of Ronald Coase, an economist who focused on the structure of companies, all these problems represent an increase in co-ordination costs, making collective enterprise more unwieldy.

Some of the co-ordination costs of remote work might reasonably be expected to fall as people get used to it. Since 2020, many will have become adept at using Zoom, Webex, Teams or Slack. But another cost may rise over time: the underdevelopment of human capital. In a study of software engineers published in April, Drs Emanuel and Harrington, along with Amanda Pallais, also of Harvard, found that feedback exchanged between colleagues dropped sharply after the move to remote work. Drs Atkin, Schoar and Shinde documented a relative decline in learning for workers at home. Those in offices picked up skills more quickly.

The origins of the view that, contrary to the above, remote working boosts productivity can be traced to an experiment nearly a decade before the pandemic, which was reported by Nicholas Bloom of Stanford and others in 2013. Call-centre workers for a Chinese online travel agency now known as Trip.com increased their performance by 13% when remote—a figure that continues to appear in media coverage today. But two big wrinkles are often neglected: first, more than two-thirds of the improved performance came from employees working longer hours, not more efficiently; second, the Chinese firm eventually halted remote work because off-site employees struggled to get promoted. In 2022 Dr Bloom visited Trip.com again, this time to investigate the effects of a hybrid-working trial. The outcomes of this experiment were less striking: it had a negligible impact on productivity, though workers put in longer days and wrote more code when in the office.

The price of happiness​

There is more to work (and life) than productivity. Perhaps the greatest virtue of remote work is that it leads to happier employees. People spend less time commuting, which from their vantage-point might feel like an increase in productivity, even if conventional measures fail to detect it. They can more easily fit in school pickups and doctor appointments, not to mention the occasional lie-in or midmorning jog. And some tasks—notably, those requiring unbroken concentration for long periods—can often be done more smoothly from home than in open-plan offices. All this explains why so many workers have become so office-shy.

Indeed, several surveys have found employees are willing to accept pay cuts for the option of working from home. Having satisfied employees on slightly lower pay, in turn, might be a good deal for corporate managers. For many people, then, the future of work will remain hybrid. Nevertheless, the balance of the work week is likely to tilt back to the office and away from home—not because bosses are sadomasochists with a kink for rush-hour traffic, but because better productivity lies in that direction.

Oh, what a surprise... not

The working-from-home illusion fades​

It is not more productive than being in an office, after all​

A gradual reverse migration is under way, from Zoom to the conference room. Wall Street firms have been among the most forceful in summoning workers to their offices, but in recent months even many tech titans—Apple, Google, Meta and more—have demanded staff show up to the office at least three days a week. For work-from-home believers, it looks like the revenge of corporate curmudgeons. Didn’t a spate of studies during the covid-19 pandemic demonstrate that remote work was often more productive than toiling in the office?
Listen to this story. Enjoy more audio and podcasts on iOS or Android.

Unfortunately for the believers, new research mostly runs counter to this, showing that offices, for all their flaws, remain essential. A good starting point is a working paper that received much attention when it was published in 2020 by Natalia Emanuel and Emma Harrington, then both doctoral students at Harvard University. They found an 8% increase in the number of calls handled per hour by employees of an online retailer that had shifted from offices to homes. Far less noticed was a revised version of their paper, published in May by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. The boost to efficiency had instead become a 4% decline.

The researchers had not made a mistake. Rather, they received more precise data, including detailed work schedules. Not only did employees answer fewer calls when remote, the quality of their interactions suffered. They put customers on hold for longer. More also phoned back, an indication of unresolved problems.

The revision comes hot on the tails of other studies that have reached similar conclusions. David Atkin and Antoinette Schoar, both of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Sumit Shinde of the University of California, Los Angeles, randomly assigned data-entry workers in India to labour either from home or the office. Those working at home were 18% less productive than their peers in the office. Michael Gibbs of the University of Chicago and Friederike Mengel and Christoph Siemroth, both of the University of Essex, found a productivity shortfall, relative to prior in-office performance, of as much as 19% for the remote employees of a large Asian it firm. Another study determined that even chess professionals play less well in online matches than face-to-face tilts. Yet another used a laboratory experiment to show that video conferences inhibit creative thinking.

The reasons for the findings will probably not surprise anyone who has spent much of the past few years working from a dining-room table. It is harder for people to collaborate from home. Workers in the Fed study spoke of missing their “neighbours to turn to for assistance”. Other researchers who looked at the communication records of nearly 62,000 employees at Microsoft observed that professional networks within the company become more static and isolated. Teleconferencing is a pale imitation of in-the-flesh meetings: researchers at Harvard Business School, for example, concluded that “virtual water coolers”—rolled out by many companies during the pandemic—often encroached on crowded schedules with limited benefits. To use the terminology of Ronald Coase, an economist who focused on the structure of companies, all these problems represent an increase in co-ordination costs, making collective enterprise more unwieldy.

Some of the co-ordination costs of remote work might reasonably be expected to fall as people get used to it. Since 2020, many will have become adept at using Zoom, Webex, Teams or Slack. But another cost may rise over time: the underdevelopment of human capital. In a study of software engineers published in April, Drs Emanuel and Harrington, along with Amanda Pallais, also of Harvard, found that feedback exchanged between colleagues dropped sharply after the move to remote work. Drs Atkin, Schoar and Shinde documented a relative decline in learning for workers at home. Those in offices picked up skills more quickly.

The origins of the view that, contrary to the above, remote working boosts productivity can be traced to an experiment nearly a decade before the pandemic, which was reported by Nicholas Bloom of Stanford and others in 2013. Call-centre workers for a Chinese online travel agency now known as Trip.com increased their performance by 13% when remote—a figure that continues to appear in media coverage today. But two big wrinkles are often neglected: first, more than two-thirds of the improved performance came from employees working longer hours, not more efficiently; second, the Chinese firm eventually halted remote work because off-site employees struggled to get promoted. In 2022 Dr Bloom visited Trip.com again, this time to investigate the effects of a hybrid-working trial. The outcomes of this experiment were less striking: it had a negligible impact on productivity, though workers put in longer days and wrote more code when in the office.

The price of happiness​

There is more to work (and life) than productivity. Perhaps the greatest virtue of remote work is that it leads to happier employees. People spend less time commuting, which from their vantage-point might feel like an increase in productivity, even if conventional measures fail to detect it. They can more easily fit in school pickups and doctor appointments, not to mention the occasional lie-in or midmorning jog. And some tasks—notably, those requiring unbroken concentration for long periods—can often be done more smoothly from home than in open-plan offices. All this explains why so many workers have become so office-shy.

Indeed, several surveys have found employees are willing to accept pay cuts for the option of working from home. Having satisfied employees on slightly lower pay, in turn, might be a good deal for corporate managers. For many people, then, the future of work will remain hybrid. Nevertheless, the balance of the work week is likely to tilt back to the office and away from home—not because bosses are sadomasochists with a kink for rush-hour traffic, but because better productivity lies in that direction.

There's a whole lot of people at the various instillations in Ottawa who don't want this widely known.

There's a whole lot of people at the various instillations in Ottawa who don't want this widely known.

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

I wonder if that study allowed for the likelihood of poorer connections at home and the likelhood that calls got dropped more to technical issues than "unresolved"?

Maybe we’ll see another 75,000-100,000 federal public servants added to make up for their lower productivity?

Meanwhile the BGHs in Ottawa are torn between wanting people to come in 3+ days a week, and cutting the office space footprint down to a fraction of what it currently is, so have decided to try and do both. Last time I checked having people in the office 60% of the time with 40% of the number of workstations doesn't work.

Our building doesn't have docking stations with monitors and keyboards at each desk either, so pretty haphazard.

Coming into the office where I have crap connectivity, the 15" laptop screen and a massive amount of noise and distractions means I basically spend a day trying to catch up on the work I couldn't get done the day before, so would say it definitely depends on the job and workers. I get more done in a single day at home on the majority of the type work on my plate then in 2-3 days in the office, and most of it isn't with people I'm working with in the office anyway. And when I'm in the office I'm doing the type of work where it makes a lot more sense to do in person. Overall for what I do hybrid makes the most sense, and the fact that it saves me money, hassle of a commute is somewhat secondary to the fact that I would be way further behind the 8 ball coming in to work everyday, where in a hybrid setup I can get through 75-80% of the workload.

Meanwhile the BGHs in Ottawa are torn between wanting people to come in 3+ days a week, and cutting the office space footprint down to a fraction of what it currently is, so have decided to try and do both. Last time I checked having people in the office 60% of the time with 40% of the number of workstations doesn't work ...
Happening in more than one place. "We need everyone back at the office so we can work better together as a team" doesn't sound quite as sincere when the next sentence is, "you'll have to book a cubicle on a first-come, first-served basis online".

Meanwhile the BGHs in Ottawa are torn between wanting people to come in 3+ days a week, and cutting the office space footprint down to a fraction of what it currently is, so have decided to try and do both. Last time I checked having people in the office 60% of the time with 40% of the number of workstations doesn't work.

Our building doesn't have docking stations with monitors and keyboards at each desk either, so pretty haphazard.

Coming into the office where I have crap connectivity, the 15" laptop screen and a massive amount of noise and distractions means I basically spend a day trying to catch up on the work I couldn't get done the day before, so would say it definitely depends on the job and workers. I get more done in a single day at home on the majority of the type work on my plate then in 2-3 days in the office, and most of it isn't with people I'm working with in the office anyway. And when I'm in the office I'm doing the type of work where it makes a lot more sense to do in person. Overall for what I do hybrid makes the most sense, and the fact that it saves me money, hassle of a commute is somewhat secondary to the fact that I would be way further behind the 8 ball coming in to work everyday, where in a hybrid setup I can get through 75-80% of the workload.
It’s certainly is case by case and by type of job. We just finished a project where being in the office as a team was beneficial. But a lot can be done at home just as well as at the office. I avoid any teams meetings when I am in the office as it really doesn’t work in that environment. So my ability to network via those means is diminished when I am in.

Our group renovated our workspace decently enough. All touch down stations have wide concave monitors with multiple screen options. Desks are adjustable sit stand, raise or lower. Basically come in, plug and play. But it’s first come first serve. Chairs are a bit of a hodgepodge but decent enough. Problem is we don’t have enough space for everyone.

One disappointing thing was that one of our hiring initiatives that would have seen us attract talent from outside the NCR was essentially watered down with the TB edict. While the anti WFH group will be pleased with a return to work, there will be lament as usual that government is to NCR centric. An opportunity lost i think.

One disappointing thing was that one of our hiring initiatives that would have seen us attract talent from outside the NCR was essentially watered down with the TB edict. While the anti WFH group will be pleased with a return to work, there will be lament as usual that government is to NCR centric. An opportunity lost i think.

The most maddening part of the WFH dictat. The lost opportunity to bring more diverse, non-NCR bubble views into the national HQs of the federal government.

But don't worry, the local fast food restaurants in downtown Ottawa that have outsourced their cashier service to Pakistan will start selling more $17 mixed green salads as they open 8-3, five days a week, so success.

FWIW I can anecdotally confirm what that article is saying but I'd like to add something I think a lot of people are suspecting. For context, my team is 15 people and we have gone from full remote to hybrid and now back to full in person.

Our takeaway is as follows; our best employees were consistently doing the same volume and quality of work at home or at the office. Our weaker staff were significantly worse when remote. We had some internal discussions and the excuses were plenty but ultimately these weaker employees need the ability to quickly ask for guidance/help from coworkers sitting next to them (not leadership) or they flounder. The more they struggle, the less motivated they get, and the less gets done.

FWIW I can anecdotally confirm what that article is saying but I'd like to add something I think a lot of people are suspecting. For context, my team is 15 people and we have gone from full remote to hybrid and now back to full in person.

Our takeaway is as follows; our best employees were consistently doing the same volume and quality of work at home or at the office. Our weaker staff were significantly worse when remote. We had some internal discussions and the excuses were plenty but ultimately these weaker employees need the ability to quickly ask for guidance/help from coworkers sitting next to them (not leadership) or they flounder. The more they struggle, the less motivated they get, and the less gets done.
Good observations.

After the 'big flinch' in March 2020, given the option, all my staff opted to work from the office for the same reasons.

It wasn't because people were 'weak' or 'useless when not directly supervised', though.

Nothing we do can be done better alone, pretty much, and they wanted to make sure they could team up, and get coaching from us, on a just in time basis. We've been back since May 2020.

And it's worked great.

Back