• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Federal Government & Union spar over returning to office

Get a giant screen wall.

You can do WFH on secure means, you just need to have faith that your people doing it are following the rules.
It’s not that hard to make a SCIF in a home - if there is enough space. Or have out buildings for that purpose in areas near your work force.
There is no budget for a giant screen wall.

Honestly though, still easier on paper with numerous sheets in some cases, especially when one giant sheet is a deck on the ship. You can physically line them up and follow it up or down directly, so some of the piping, HVAC and wiring runs are just easier to follow.

At a certain point as well, my eyes get tired of looking at screens all day, and it's also easier to mark it up if you need to.

Lots of times where digital is easier (and searchable, unless the assclowns with the contracts for the drawings turn all text into vectors), but sometimes you can't beat paper.

Poor Maj drafts an electronic document. Sends it through approvals and somehow, incomprehensibly, it reaches the 3* approving authority still in digital format, still with all the embedded links working. Miraculously, the 3* applies a digital signature and returns the document for distribution.

So the OR prints it, scans it as a PDF image, and emails the PDF scan.

Poor Maj drafts an electronic document. Sends it through approvals and somehow, incomprehensibly, it reaches the 3* approving authority still in digital format, still with all the embedded links working. Miraculously, the 3* applies a digital signature and returns the document for distribution.

So the OR prints it, scans it as a PDF image, and emails the PDF scan.
That is the most CAF thing I've seen in a long time... and I just cleared into barracks in Gagetown earlier today, where I was supplied twin bedding for a double bed.

Honestly though, still easier on paper with numerous sheets in some cases, especially when one giant sheet is a deck on the ship. You can physically line them up and follow it up or down directly, so some of the piping, HVAC and wiring runs are just easier to follow.

At a certain point as well, my eyes get tired of looking at screens all day, and it's also easier to mark it up if you need to.

Lots of times where digital is easier (and searchable, unless the assclowns with the contracts for the drawings turn all text into vectors), but sometimes you can't beat paper.
I get that. Real paper and a real book is far better than an e reader. IMO. But I am ancient so....

Not so much secure spaces, but they overlooked secure storage as well as actual storage for things that can't be digitized (like expensive standards or reference books). At the moment we just consilidated into an area, so not a big deal to keep the lockup for some legacy confidential documents etc.

For us boffins, the big ass drawings is also a big deal; for some reason trying to trace lines on a 21" screen isn't the same as a 4'x6' print (especially when it spans multiple sheets). We've kept a lot of them, but there is a pretty good reason we have hardcopies of digital drawings.
How true that is.

I think better on paper. Scribbling seems to unlock stuff.

Back