• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

A pre-requisite for public office is military service...

Generals as Presidents?

Washington
Eisenhower
Grant
Jackson
Harrison
Hayes
Garfield
Pierce
Arthur
Johnson
Harrison

If we include Brigadiers.

The list of Presidents with no military background is shorter - than the list of those with military service ,

Adams
Quincy Adams
Van Buren
Cleveland
Wilson
Harding
Coolidge
Hoover
FDR (he had a good excuse)
Clinton
Obama
Trump
Biden
I thought Clinton was in the National Guard to get out of going to Vietnam?

Also, the list excluded Teddy Roosevelt.

* Oops I see that list is specifically for generals. Never mind.

Further to the Militia notes above

The Militia Colonels and Captains were administrative and not tactical. Their job was to keep track of all the eligible men in their districts and keep the Adjutant-General informed of their state.

Training for battle and leading them was somebody else's job. Usually a Brit regular.

I thought Clinton was in the National Guard to get out of going to Vietnam?

Also, the list excluded Teddy Roosevelt.

* Oops I see that list is specifically for generals. Never mind.
Pretty sure it George Bush jr who was in the air national guard.

Clinton said he would join ROTC to avoid the draft but something about his number meant he wouldn’t be drafted or something like that. I don’t think he followed through though.

Stumbled across this factoid in my meanderings:

1737 New France

The King's troops were composed of 28 captains, 28 lieutenants, 28 ensigns en pied, 28 ensigns en second, 28 cadets à l'aiguillette, and 784 soldiers.

1736​
Company
Companies
28​
1​
Captains
28​
1​
Lieutenants
28​
1​
Ensigns en pied
28​
1​
Ensigns en second
28​
1​
Cadets a l'aiguillette
28​
1​
Soldiers
784​
28​

You are extrapolating that this is for one/twenty-eight company(ies) of troops because 784 divides into exactly 28. The census merely mentions that the King's troops in New France consisted of these numbers. For all we know, most of the officers may have been in the direct entourage of the Governor as military advisors/general staff. An actual order of battle would be useful.

BTW, considering the thread you posted this in, are you proposing that Trudeau junior should boost Canada's defence spending by investing in French Compagnies Franches de Marine of the 1760 era?

Clinton said he would join ROTC to avoid the draft but something about his number meant he wouldn’t be drafted or something like that. I don’t think he followed through though.
Flying a Thud that did not have a enviable safety record either.

I suspect Clinton lucked out based on what day of the year he was born.

My recollection of the draft goes back to the late 1960s when I was eligible. Around that time, if I recall correctly, the Selective Service (I love that name) under the highly-unpopular General Hershey organized a “draft lottery” based on one’s birthday. All 365 days of the year were placed into a large drum…kind of like what you see on some of the TV shows. In fact, I remember the Selective Service staging a special TV prime time broadcast one night in 1969 to show the American public the draft numbers as they were being picked; I just can’t remember though if there was a sexy girl picking the numbers LOL. Suspense was high and I’m sure the broadcast ratings must have been quite significant as countless millions of eligible young men were hoping to avoid being drafted.

As it turns out the guys whose birthdays corresponded to the first 122 days picked from the drum were prime draft picks so to speak. The second 122 picks were less likely to be drafted. And the final 121 would’t have to worry about being picked.

My draft number (I think it was 37) put me in the top group to be called up, barring any exemptions (such as being in university…I was already enrolled in one). Most of those who were then eligible would probably go to Viet Nam…although my cousin was called up and ended up being stationed in Panama, which he considered a hell hole and was trying to get sent to Viet Nam instead (an even bigger hell hole. As it turns out my mother, unbeknownst to me, had already contacted the local draft board and arranged a sole surviving son exemption for me based on the fact that my father had died while in the USN in the 1950s and I was the only surviving male to carry on the family name. That meant that I would have been called up only in the direst national emergency (e.g. World War 3) in which all other eligible draftees had already been inducted.

Not sure if there is a similar method in place should the U.S. draft be reinstated.

My recollection of the draft goes back to the late 1960s when I was eligible.

With the end of active U.S. ground participation in Vietnam, December 1972 saw the last men conscripted, who were born in 1952 and earlier.

Not sure if there is a similar method in place should the U.S. draft be reinstated.
As an American citizen one must still register for selective service prior to one’s 18th Birthday, or if naturalized under 35 must register.

Getting rid of the draft and professionalizing the Military was one of the best things to occur here.

Due to our location nether America or Canada have the same levels of concern in the population, and the benefits of having Expeditionary Militaries.
The problem is also that the majority of the population doesn’t understand the importance of the Military.

You are extrapolating that this is for one/twenty-eight company(ies) of troops because 784 divides into exactly 28. The census merely mentions that the King's troops in New France consisted of these numbers. For all we know, most of the officers may have been in the direct entourage of the Governor as military advisors/general staff. An actual order of battle would be useful.

BTW, considering the thread you posted this in, are you proposing that Trudeau junior should boost Canada's defence spending by investing in French Compagnies Franches de Marine of the 1760 era?

If Trudeau invested in 28 platoons of anything I would consider it a win.

Maybe the CAF should take lessons from CRA?

Stumbled across this factoid in my meanderings:

1737 New France

1736​
Company
Companies
28​
1​
Captains
28​
1​
Lieutenants
28​
1​
Ensigns en pied
28​
1​
Ensigns en second
28​
1​
Cadets a l'aiguillette
28​
1​
Soldiers
784​
28​
Under the French Regime, the Captain were elected by the male of the Seigneurie. He had admin function other than the milicia and was answering to the Seigneur. Basically a big village was a Seigneurie.
So you none of the coy were equal strength.

Under SSE, his government committed to growing the full time CAF by thousands.

That the CAF has failed to do so lies on the CAF.
Yes, and no. The CAF needs to fix the recruiting process, but TB sets compensation and benefits, and the GoC imposes other restrictions as well.

Just last year a recruiter told the media he had maximum numbers of males he could recruit. Despite the severe shortage of personnel, the GoC and CAF are persisting in making joining an unwelcoming process to some Canadians.

The CAF has been told to fill a pool, but has been denied pumps, buckets, and instead has been given a slotted serving spoon.

Yes, and no. The CAF needs to fix the recruiting process, but TB sets compensation and benefits, and the GoC imposes other restrictions as well.

Just last year a recruiter told the media he had maximum numbers of males he could recruit. Despite the severe shortage of personnel, the GoC and CAF are persisting in making joining an unwelcoming process to some Canadians.

The CAF has been told to fill a pool, but has been denied pumps, buckets, and instead has been given a slotted serving spoon.

A few months ago I went ionto a local CFRC looking for some pamphlets or other up to date info for the son of a friend.

Trying to get in, I was treated like a criminal. Standing there awkwardly in an almost empty office, fielding glares from an angry Sgt who was looking after the only other guy in there, I gave it 15 minutes then had to leave to make a meeting on time. Empty handed. After the worst customer service experience of my recent life (and I've been to the UK recently).

I think they need more than a few tools ;)

A few months ago I went ionto a local CFRC looking for some pamphlets or other up to date info for the son of a friend.

Trying to get in, I was treated like a criminal. Standing there awkwardly in an almost empty office, fielding glares from an angry Sgt who was looking after the only other guy in there, I gave it 15 minutes then had to leave to make a meeting on time. Empty handed. After the worst customer service experience of my recent life (and I've been to the UK recently).

Actually it sounds like they may actually have a few too many "tools".

I think selection for recruiting needs to be taken away from Career Managers, and handled by CFRG themselves. Make it a selection process, and reward those who choose to be selected.

In my experience, some CMs use recruiting centres as a place to dump a member that wants to live in a particular area, rather than selecting the right personality.

Like I said, the CAF owns part of the problem, but not all of it.

Back