• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Recruiters will follow the rules of human nature and likely recruit people close to their image.

The CAF should want to have very good people in the recruiting business or pay the price.

Would a private company give the job of hiring to their 3rd line employees? Doubtful.

I think selection for recruiting needs to be taken away from Career Managers, and handled by CFRG themselves. Make it a selection process, and reward those who choose to be selected.

In my experience, some CMs use recruiting centres as a place to dump a member that wants to live in a particular area, rather than selecting the right personality.

Like I said, the CAF owns part of the problem, but not all of it.

The problem for the whole of the CAF is the competing priorities and national/international obligations...

Its: recruiting VS retention VS training VS operations VS support

Where is our concentration of effort supposed to lay ?

I suspect Clinton lucked out based on what day of the year he was born.

My recollection of the draft goes back to the late 1960s when I was eligible. Around that time, if I recall correctly, the Selective Service (I love that name) under the highly-unpopular General Hershey organized a “draft lottery” based on one’s birthday. All 365 days of the year were placed into a large drum…kind of like what you see on some of the TV shows. In fact, I remember the Selective Service staging a special TV prime time broadcast one night in 1969 to show the American public the draft numbers as they were being picked; I just can’t remember though if there was a sexy girl picking the numbers LOL. Suspense was high and I’m sure the broadcast ratings must have been quite significant as countless millions of eligible young men were hoping to avoid being drafted.

As it turns out the guys whose birthdays corresponded to the first 122 days picked from the drum were prime draft picks so to speak. The second 122 picks were less likely to be drafted. And the final 121 would’t have to worry about being picked.

My draft number (I think it was 37) put me in the top group to be called up, barring any exemptions (such as being in university…I was already enrolled in one). Most of those who were then eligible would probably go to Viet Nam…although my cousin was called up and ended up being stationed in Panama, which he considered a hell hole and was trying to get sent to Viet Nam instead (an even bigger hell hole. As it turns out my mother, unbeknownst to me, had already contacted the local draft board and arranged a sole surviving son exemption for me based on the fact that my father had died while in the USN in the 1950s and I was the only surviving male to carry on the family name. That meant that I would have been called up only in the direst national emergency (e.g. World War 3) in which all other eligible draftees had already been inducted.

Not sure if there is a similar method in place should the U.S. draft be reinstated.
Was there anything stopping a person to just go and join the Coast Guard or Navy instead of getting drafted into the infantry?

Was there anything stopping a person to just go and join the Coast Guard or Navy instead of getting drafted into the infantry?
The availability of positions for one thing — the US Navy, Coast Guard and Air Force were all-volunteer throughout the Vietnam era, and could take their pick of suitable candidates.

These guys? ;)

channing tatum sailor GIF

I think selection for recruiting needs to be taken away from Career Managers, and handled by CFRG themselves. Make it a selection process, and reward those who choose to be selected.

In my experience, some CMs use recruiting centres as a place to dump a member that wants to live in a particular area, rather than selecting the right personality.

Like I said, the CAF owns part of the problem, but not all of it.
Which is ridiculous because they merit super fucking high .

@daftandbarmy did you consider that the recruiter was just baffled you were trying to gather a physical pamphlet for a potential applicant who has access to the internet ?

@daftandbarmy did you consider that the recruiter was just baffled you were trying to gather a physical pamphlet for a potential applicant who has access to the internet ?

He did not engage with me apart from shooting me some annoyed looks, so I can't comment.

In another time and place I would have charged his miserable ass ;)

Might be more of a "thing" in occupations like mine, where they have a limited number of positions in any one place, but lots of places with those limited positions.

Most locations my occupation has positions, we have less than 10 positions ranging from S3-PO 2.

Might be more of a "thing" in occupations like mine, where they have a limited number of positions in any one place, but lots of places with those limited positions.

Most locations my occupation has positions, we have less than 10 positions ranging from S3-PO 2.
Recruiting is the highest priority posting, so normally they get people who are good at their jobs…. Those jobs however are not necessarily going to translate to recruitment

Reactions: ueo
Recruiting is the highest priority posting, so normally they get people who are good at their jobs…. Those jobs however are not necessarily going to translate to recruitment
Again, it's occupation dependent. The PPCLI might view recruiting that way, but I know for a fact other trades do not.

I know people posted to recruiting centres... Let's just say that I wouldn't want some of them as subordinates.

Again, it's occupation dependent. The PPCLI might view recruiting that way, but I know for a fact other trades do not.

I know people posted to recruiting centres... Let's just say that I wouldn't want some of them as subordinates.
Okay, well I suppose that is possible but as I understood it it was all across the army that recruiting was 1, schools 2, units 3.

Obviously what career managers end up doing will be up to them. I reiterate that job proficiency = \ = good recruiter.

A few months ago I went ionto a local CFRC looking for some pamphlets or other up to date info for the son of a friend.

Trying to get in, I was treated like a criminal. Standing there awkwardly in an almost empty office, fielding glares from an angry Sgt who was looking after the only other guy in there, I gave it 15 minutes then had to leave to make a meeting on time. Empty handed. After the worst customer service experience of my recent life (and I've been to the UK recently).

I think they need more than a few tools ;)
Did you give said Sgt your best crap hat glare?

Okay, well I suppose that is possible but as I understood it it was all across the army that recruiting was 1, schools 2, units 3.

Obviously what career managers end up doing will be up to them. I reiterate that job proficiency = \ = good recruiter.
Ah... yes, for bums in seats, not for quality.

My main point, and it goes beyond recruiting, is the CAF does not select people for jobs based on personality, rather based on checklists, and "who's available today, and willing". That leads to a lot of bad choices, and "expert" by posting message...

Ah... yes, for bums in seats, not for quality.

My main point, and it goes beyond recruiting, is the CAF does not select people for jobs based on personality, rather based on checklists, and "who's available today, and willing". That leads to a lot of bad choices, and "expert" by posting message...
Career, Talent, Potential, Position Management. There we go. That's more accurate.

Funny that we in the RCCS have 4 NCM trades that are in the Red and incentivized recruiting, yet, we currently have ZERO billets for recruiting or MCCs. CCA Priority is for training, CAF priority is for operational support. Hard to sell our trades when recruiters don't have any first hand knowledge of them outside "Iunno....Infantry with a radio I think?"

Career, Talent, Potential, Position Management. There we go. That's more accurate.

Funny that we in the RCCS have 4 NCM trades that are in the Red and incentivized recruiting, yet, we currently have ZERO billets for recruiting or MCCs. CCA Priority is for training, CAF priority is for operational support. Hard to sell our trades when recruiters don't have any first hand knowledge of them outside "Iunno....Infantry with a radio I think?"
We have one billet, in Fredericton... beside the JMC in Gagetown, so it's a no cost move to put someone there from JMC, to keep them in the area longer.

Recruiters can never know all occupations, but there needs to be more work on getting relevant info to the recruiting centres, and maybe more occupations filling recruiting roles.

Back