• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

As I understand, it's not just money - it's also specific reductions in travel and in professional services contracts.

Sell Peakes.
Move it to Carling and expand more if necessary

And leave CJOC in a rented property? Where the property owner can lock-out CAF if there is some contract dispute? And which happens to sit beside a compressed fuels facility?
At least it hasn’t caught fire…..like an other ‘still rented’ HQ building in the NCR…

And leave CJOC in a rented property? Where the property owner can lock-out CAF if there is some contract dispute? And which happens to sit beside a compressed fuels facility?
Fair point, but what creates more operational output right now? $1 billion for a hq, or could we invest that into say the armoured school, RCEME school etc where modern facilities can facilitate expanded or more modern training. I know RCEME school alone has been waiting fir funding since 2015 for funding for new facilities

At least it hasn’t caught fire…..like an other ‘still rented’ HQ building in the NCR…
Not rented any more. It was rent to own, the company went bankrupt, terminating the rent to own, and the new company that bought it out if bankruptcy has the same beneficial ownership as the prior company.

Lease terminated, new/old owner has other plans for the site.

Ahhh, perhaps to make it a hotel like it was originally supposed to be? 🤔

Fair point, but what creates more operational output right now? $1 billion for a hq, or could we invest that into say the armoured school, RCEME school etc where modern facilities can facilitate expanded or more modern training. I know RCEME school alone has been waiting fir funding since 2015 for funding for new facilities

Didn't you guys just get a new school in Borden ? You and the MPs ?

After suffering enough CJOC-induced stupidity the last decade my first thought was…

Cosmo Kramer Yes GIF

I still maintain CJOC is an example of bloat and not required. But I'm just a simple Storesman.
In theory no, but I think in practice yes.

CJOC should have cut out a number of other entities when it was created, but I haven’t seen any relay PY savings from it.
But I've not been doggedly following the CAF structure for the past 20 years.

In theory no, but I think in practice yes.

CJOC should have cut out a number of other entities when it was created, but I haven’t seen any relay PY savings from it.
But I've not been doggedly following the CAF structure for the past 20 years.

In theory it would take over all support and control of deployed missions. In practice its only interested in Army things and passes back all responsibility for mission sustainment to the RCN, while adding further layers bureaucracy.

I cant speak to the RCAF.

You all are only talking about 1/2 the conversation -

Part 1
Is TB telling everyone (except DND/HC....maybe) to cut 15$ billion

Part 2
Is the following - Pharmacare to cost 15$ billion

New health minister says pharmacare legislation is coming this fall​

Liberal agreement with NDP stipulates that pharmacare legislation must be passed by end of 2023​

Program estimated to cost $15B annually​

Former US Navy Admiral joins the chorus of critiques from down south. I'm assuming that nobody in the PMO is listening nor caring if they are listening.

By James Stavridis (Bloomberg) Over a long career in the Navy, I sailed into many of Canada’s beautiful ports and commanded a Canadian frigate, HMCS Halifax, as part of a joint operation. Over the years, I saw the quality of Canadian airmen in our dual-nation air defense command, NORAD. Later, during my time as Supreme Allied Commander at NATO, I had thousands of Canadians under my command in combat in Afghanistan, Libya and other hotspots. Whenever I saw that distinctive maple leaf shoulder patch, I knew I was in the presence of a brave professional.

But I continue to be deeply disappointed by Canada’s unwillingness to increase its defense spending to meet a standard it has committed to via its membership in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization: 2% of gross domestic product. Today, Canada punches well below its weight with less than $40 billion spent on defense, roughly 1.3% of GDP. For a very wealthy Western democracy, this smacks of taking advantage of allies like the US, which spends well over 3% of GDP — or more than $850 billion.

And Canada has defense needs that go well beyond the allied effort to stop Vladimir Putin in Ukraine. Looking toward the Arctic, which the Canadians aptly call the “high north,” Canada faces growing Russian intransigence across the increasingly ice-free Arctic Ocean. To the west, a rising Chinese Navy — now the largest in the world — operates with increasing impunity in the waters of the north Pacific.

Related book: 2034: A Novel of the Next World War by Elliot Ackerman and Admiral James Stavridis

One program where more investment would be powerful and meaningful is nuclear submarines. Although cutting-edge boats cost more than $4 billion each, only nuclear submarines have the range and firepower to meet 21st century needs. And Canada has vast territorial waters to control, extending from its maritime provinces on the Atlantic coast, to the Arctic Ocean, to the Aleutian islands in the Pacific. Yet today, Canada has only a small force of four old, diesel submarines.

In contrast, nuclear subs are lethal, oceangoing apex predators. And entering the nuclear submarine club would offer Canada significant scientific and strategic advantages. By procuring nuclear subs, Canada will bind themselves more tightly to other NATO nations using them: the United States, the United Kingdom and France. More engagement, intelligence and technology would naturally flow toward Ottawa.

This is a particularly propitious time to make the leap, because of an awkward acronym: AUKUS. This is the new partnership between the US, UK, and Australia to help the Australians build a fleet of nuclear submarines. Painstakingly negotiated over the past several years, the agreement will begin with US nuclear Los Angeles-class submarines being stationed in Australia, then transition to US selling the boats to Canberra, then move to the Australian construction and deployment of its own fleet. It’s a canny move on the part of Australia, who — like Canada — has several oceans to defend.

The plan will take most of a decade, but has already begun to unfold with the arrival of Australian naval officers at US schools to learn to operate the submarines, a process that will take each student a year or so. It’s a powerful statement of Australia’s commitment to its own defense and to our long-standing alliance.

If Canada were to join the nuclear AUKUS program, it could easily become CANAUKUS. Admittedly, the acronym gets stranger, but the strategic advantages for our good friends to the north rise exponentially. And adding both Australian and Canadian nuclear boats to the allied fleets — especially in the Pacific — would make the alliance much stronger.

The reality is that both Russia and China have global ambitions in the Pacific, Atlantic and the Arctic — and very capable nuclear submarines. Our cousins up north could seize the moment and join us in a powerful, albeit expensive, defense program to face them together. Spending the money would move them where they should be in terms of overall defense spending. In the end, of course, these are decisions for Canadians — but American policymakers should encourage them to take the leap to nuclear submarines at sea.

James Stavridis is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist. A retired U.S. Navy admiral, former supreme allied commander of NATO, and dean emeritus of the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, he is vice chairman of global affairs at the Carlyle Group. He is the author most recently of “To Risk It All: Nine Conflicts and the Crucible of Decision.” @stavridisj © 2023 Bloomberg L.P.

Related book: 2034: A Novel of the Next World War by Elliot Ackerman and Admiral James Stavridis

In theory it would take over all support and control of deployed missions. In practice its only interested in Army things and passes back all responsibility for mission sustainment to the RCN, while adding further layers bureaucracy.

I cant speak to the RCAF.
No real role for CJOC with RCAF deployments, unless you count the JFACC, which is just 1 Cdn Air Div wearing two hats (much like MARLANT wears the MCC hat).

Back