• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Sound like you could hit 2% just on rebuilding infrastructure...

Not quite, but close.

Of course, that might mean demolishing a large number of Reserve Armouries to rebuild to modern standards and to provide necessary training spaces. And apparently giving modern training facilities to the Army Reserve goes against tradition.

There's lots of infra that needs divestment, not refurbishment.

I'm not sure what the thrust of this post is, but for the sake of accuracy in numbers:

CSIS aren't armed
I'll defer to Haggis but I believe only a percentage of CBSA are armed, same for DFO.
I don't know what CPC stands for unless your are considering the Conservative Party of Canada as an armed agency

Other than the CAF, I'm guessing 'none'? Is there a legislated basis or history of civilian emergency services becoming a CAF problem during wartime?

War Measures Act 1914, 1939, 1970.

The army didn't have to cover the civilian bases. The civilians and the army were put under common authority.

The reason was that war was and is a whole of society endeavour.

National Security, likewise, is a whole of society endeavour. It demands contributions from civilians and uniformed personnel, armed and unarmed, military and civil.

In war time all of those line items come out of one common budget directed to one purpose.

It is only in peacetime that society is afforded the luxury of people creating stovepipes and building empires for personal benefit.

And the longer the peace the more entrenched become the empires.

+ Expanded tactical airlift. More Hercs (Australia has ordered another 20), more Chinooks, more helicopters such as BlackHawks. Those 3 alone are useful domestically and internationally.
Ammunition, trucks, trailer, small arms, mortars, APC, LAV’s, ATGM, SAM all in continuous but dependable, scalable production in ever improving marks and versions. These things we can and should do because we can use them and we can stockpile and supply to allies.
I would add AOR’s to that list…

The only thing I can think of is I think some RCMP were used as provosts/MP’s during WWII. Not sure how accurate that is though.

According to the most excellent and expert site of information Wikipedia (yeah, sarcasm)

At the outbreak of World War II, the Canadian Army was without any form of military police. On September 13, 1939, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) requested and received permission to form a Provost Company using volunteers from its ranks. This was designated 1 Provost Company (RCMP), of the 1st Canadian Infantry Division, Canadian Active Service Force. Initially, it was 120 men; many of them were in the UK by the end of 1939.

this is supported however by the provost web site History Of The Canadian Provost Corps Frames Page

In September 1939, the Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police(RCMP) recommended to the Minister Of Justice that authority be granted to form a "Provost" company from RCMP volunteers. Approval was granted for the organization of No. 1 Provost Company (RCMP). This Company would provide military police support for 1 Canadian Infantry Division.

Not quite, but close.

Of course, that might mean demolishing a large number of Reserve Armouries to rebuild to modern standards and to provide necessary training spaces. And apparently giving modern training facilities to the Army Reserve goes against tradition.

Agreed, every time I hear the argument the reserves can't do X because of facilities or people from L1s, to me it's a leadership failure to plan to give the reserves the facilities they need. I understand with the budget we have we have to make choices but there is a lack of a long term strategic plan to increase the operational efficiency of the reserves.

Careful…glass houses…

Alberta is doing pretty strong as far as revenues go. If the rest of Canada (cough cough ont and Que) would stop taking all the money things would be much better

So it could piss it away like it did to most of the Heritage Fund? 🤔

Not quite, but close.

It worked down here. After being in the new facility for 20 years now, I can not envision even our oldest dinosaurs poo-pooing the idea. Best move we ever made in support of the Reserves. The old armouries, taken over by the University, is now a downtown gem. Everyone is happy. The template is there, other places just need follow it.

Last edited:
Careful…glass houses…

So it could piss it away like it did to most of the Heritage Fund? 🤔
The heritage fund is doing well and was not pissed away as many think.
If you take the time to read the history of it, then the way it works it is very eye opening.

Currently it sits just under 23billiion dollars.

A few elected officials diverted money from the fund for projects. Which is what the fund is sort of for. Just not the projects they spent ot on.
they even tried to use fund money Directly. Found out they were not allowed. Even jt tried to divert money from it.

Alberta is sitting pretty good. Could be much better if the east took their hands off our money

Currently it sits just under 23billiion dollars.

Even jt tried to divert money from it.

Alberta is sitting pretty good. Could be much better if the east took their hands off our money
23 Billion dollars - that isn't a negative? You are saying a government in Canada actually has money?

Even JT - why is I am not surprised. Give him another term and he might think of a way to steal it.

But I thought it was BC that was supporting the rest of the country? at lease according to a post I saw somewhere else.

Providing an explicit figure, how much has the east kept from Alberta?
4 billion ish a year removed from direct resource revenue from Alberta every year.
23 Billion dollars - that isn't a negative?
Not a negative at all
You are saying a government in Canada actually has money?
Yes Alberta does
Even JT - why is I am not surprised. Give him another term and he might think of a way to steal it.
He has tried, but failed. Hence why they were trying to change banking rules and provincial slush fund rules a few years ago.
But I thought it was BC that was supporting the rest of the country? at lease according to a post I saw somewhere else.
LOL, Bc is making some money also from natural resources.

interesting reading on the official site - Equalization Program - Canada.ca

• Since its inception in 1957, the Equalization program has provided benefits at some point in time to every province in Canada.
So AB and BC benefitted from it at some point but now that they don't no longer like it. Does this mean if they were to be in a position to benefit from it again they will still oppose it?

It does have a chart that is also interesting. Apparently ON does not get the enormous amount that is often portrayed. It does show that 3 western provinces does currently lead the way in funds.

Chart 1
Equalization 2024-25*
Chart 1: Equalization 2023-24*

* The Equalization formula operates with a 2-year data lag and a 3-year weighted moving average. Note: small variations in post-Equalization fiscal capacity of receiving provinces reflect the partial exclusion of natural resource revenues in the formula.
Source: Finance Canada

Then there is this:

• Equalization is financed by the Government of Canada from general revenues, which are largely raised through federal taxes. Provincial governments make no contributions to the Equalization program. All Canadians are subject to the same federal income tax system and its progressive rate structure, regardless of where they live.
So if the province makes no contribution then how is anyone stealing from them for it?

I do question the Quebec calculation as from what I have seen some indicate is that the province does not develop it's natural resources so that it can maintain the equalization payments.

Back