• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leafs finally break losing streak.

Belfour said he was quite willing to waive his no trade clause.  There might be a good possibilty that he may go to Edmonton.  However he did play a decent game last night.

Jacob said:
 Like 2023 said.  No matter how bad they're doing people will still love them.  If the Leafs didn't have fan loyalty there would be alot of empty seats in the Air Canada Centre.

I've never been there which is why I ask - how many of those seats are filled by true hockey fans, and how many are just corporate season's ticket holders entertaining clients or giving freebies as employee appreciation? 

Belfour said he was quite willing to waive his no trade clause.  There might be a good possibilty that he may go to Edmonton.  However he did play a decent game last night.

Even if Belfour did waive his no-trade clause whatever team that gets him still has to deal with his option for next year which in its self is a financial no-trade clause.  Its too big of a cap hit for any team to take on a goalie who should retired.
Belfour has also said that he'll only waive his no-trade clause if the team that gets him is willing to use him next year as well, as he said he doesn't want to go anywhere he's not wanted.

I've always been a fan of Belfour and was quite happy when he joined the leafs, unfortuantely this season he has been HIGHLY inconsistent, and really for that matter so has the rest of the team. 

I think we could potentially make the playoffs but its not really likely.

Well It looks like the Leafs will be watching the playoffs from home now.

Yes yes the mourning period has come and gone.  I've already moved on to other, more important things.  Though once the playoffs really start I may feel a little saddened.

Regardless, i'll say the mantra that has kept us going since 1968, there is always next year.

I'd rather they miss the playoffs than get in only to be whipped in 4 straight by the Sens. If only they'd kept AlMo.

My Plan,

Fire the GM
Keep Quinn

Rebuild the team from scratch....They will suck for a couple years, but they will be like the Sens. 

"A developing team soon to be a force to reckon with."

Just my 2 cents.

-Quag

Ahhhh the age old debate............I agree, dump PQ but keep him in the org. Bring up Paul Maurice and give him a shot. No one is mentioning JFJR though?? Don't you think he could have done a better job?? He kind of shit the bed if you ask me. The good news is that Berg and O'Neil are both contemplating retirement.

As for the Sens being better.........I agree, they are however I wouldn't plan a parade yet. The Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy to win in any sport! I don't think the Sens have the parts this year either.

Go LEAFS Go!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the second that Havlat, Fisher, Hasek, Chara, Phillips, and Volchenkov get back the Sens will once again be a major team to watch. Especially Havlat. Yes, he's been gone for most of the season, but he provides yet more skill on the second line, which was a problem when teams were shutting down Heatly-Spezza-Alfie, we had no one else to take charge. Havlat can do that, and we have Kelly, Vermette, as well as Eaves, all of whom have stepped up recently.

2023 said:
The good news is that Berg and O'Neil are both contemplating retirement.

Now if only they can convince Antropov to retire to! ;D

Just a side note...I remember when I was doing a draft for one of my hockey pools an individual inexperienced with the NHL made the unfortunate mistake of taking Berg for his 4th pick.  HAHAHA!  I dont think any of us laughed harder at the poor guy.  I think he realized his mistake by the time we were rolling on the floor in laughter, spilling our beers everywhere.

The Leafs need to stop relying on the goalie so much and play more offensively. 

And don't forget the Senator's tendency to choke in playoff time.

condor888000 said:
I think the second that Havlat, Fisher, Hasek, Chara, Phillips, and Volchenkov get back the Sens will once again be a major team to watch. Especially Havlat. Yes, he's been gone for most of the season, but he provides yet more skill on the second line, which was a problem when teams were shutting down Heatly-Spezza-Alfie, we had no one else to take charge. Havlat can do that, and we have Kelly, Vermette, as well as Eaves, all of whom have stepped up recently.

Chemistry my friend, chemistry!!!!!

Speaking of Havlat....

No assurance for Havlat
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockeycentral_connected/2006/03/30/no_assurance_for_havlat/#more

Sens winger Martin Havlat did not receive clearance from his doctor to return to the Senators lineup any time soon -- and he may only be available when the Stanley Cup playoffs begin.

Havlat, who met with Dr. Tony Miniaci in Toronto on Wednesday, was told that he could resume practicing with the team for most of the drills. But Havlat was not given the green light for full contact in practice -- meaning his return to the lineup in the regular season is now in doubt. It was widely expected that Havlat would receive the necessary clearance on Wednesday to return to the lineup next week.

Sens coach Bryan Murray seemed frustrated by the latest developments. He told reporters to speak to Havlat about the injury and that he said he didn't expect the winger to be playing "for a while".

On the Leafs front....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=160618&hubname=
TORONTO (CP) - Centre Jason Allison of the Toronto Maple Leafs will be out six weeks as he recovers from surgery on his injured left hand.

So unless his team rallies to make the playoffs, his season is over.

And now the Sens are minus Redden.....that means our top 3 defencemen are out........:(

Wade will be back,  he is a tough guy.  I knew him when he played with my cousin on the Brandon wheat Kings.  Even with the Sens 3 best D men gone they could still beat Toronto. ;D

Tilstonguy said:
Wade will be back,  he is a tough guy.  I knew him when he played with my cousin on the Brandon wheat Kings.  Even with the Sens 3 best D men gone they could still beat Toronto. ;D

Thats funny...

As I recall, ottawa seems to have a difficult time winning playoff games against toronto... maybe its my imagination.

Haha ;D

that is very true,  but im pretty sure they wont have to worry about that this year cause the leafs will be golfing around that time.

Tilstonguy said:
Haha ;D

that is very true,  but im pretty sure they wont have to worry about that this year cause the leafs will be golfing around that time.

I wouldnt count them out yet. Win tonight, tampa loses, theyre 5 points out of 8th, and 7 back of montreal in 7th.
Of course, theyll have to win all of their remaining 9 games to do make it... they have beaten philly, buffalo and new jersey 3 in a row.

Mack674 said:
Of course, theyll have to win all of their remaining 9 games to do make it...
And the other teams will need to lose almost all of theirs.

Big Foot said:
And the other teams will need to lose almost all of theirs.

actually tampa only needs to lose one more if toronto wins all of their remaining games.

we had it worked out with a few other guys at work... new jersey can do no better than 7-2-1 and stuff like that.... its not as grim as it first appears.

Montreal has a rough stretch of games coming as well.

3 teams occupy 6th, 7th, and 8th within 2-3 points of each other, theres a chance at least one of them can slip enough for toronto to steal their spot if they keep winning.

Back