• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medical Technician ( Med Tech )

Where he most likely got the info from is from the PRes side of the house.

We want members who have EMR or PCP background so that they will be able to deploy quicker if it came to it, along with their RegF counterparts as dismounted MedTechs if the opportunities arose. Not to mention a PCP qual'd PRes MedTech is QL3 qual'd once they receive their QL3-Med R and PRes QL4, once again making them way more employable and better suited to do things that non-PCP PRes MedTechs can do.

Better?

Thanks Med Tech. That definitely makes sense.

A friend of mine was tasked to Meaford a couple of years ago teaching a Reg SQ, and the top candidate was actually an Airforce Med Tech.

Okay so hey everyone, I'm super committed to going to into the forces NCM, ft as a med tech! But I have a few questions before obviously gettin er' done and joining. So I guess my biggest question and the most important one that I have is do Medical Techs get to go overseas to help the people who need help most?  :p My second question is about BMQ obviously (c'mon u all knew it was comming) Whats the pay rate/pay scale for private recruits attending the school? (meaning while ur their obvi) Third and last (I promise) questin i have is to all medical techs out there, how is the job? Whats an average day as a med tech? I'm hoping to really make a difference and be committed not only to serve my country and brothers/sisters in arms but to really HELP someone. which is what ive wanted to do all along. thanks get back to me y'all :)    :salute:

:) Hello everyone. Don't know if anyone read my previous post, but if they had they would know that I am very very interested in going into the forces as a Med Tech. Today searching the Forces.Ca site I seen as an entry plan the NCM-SEP program and my trade was listed. So obviously being really interested I was reading the PDF provided link on the site and they obviously pay for your schooling for that trade, HOWEVER (and here's my question) as far as I know there is no program in Ontario were I reside or other that has a Medical Technician College program. So would the equilivant then be a two year Paramed program? Also a question to anyone who went through the NCM-SEP entry program, Is it hard to get into (competitive etc?) Also now that you finished your education leading into the forces does that mean anything in terms of pay or rank? Thanks for your time guys/gals. :)

Regards, Kris

:cdn:

That's  a good question. I wonder if they pay for your ACP, or is it only your PCP  ???

A PCP (Primary Care Paramedic) (aka EMT-A/EMT-I) is an intermediate level EMS provider. They have training in basic emergency care skills, including automated external defibrillator, use of airway adjuncts, and assisting patients with certain medications, but they also have additional training in specific advanced life support skills such as intravenous (IV) therapy and cardiac monitoring. There scope of practice (in general) includes:

-assess the extent of injuries or illness to determine medical treatment
-comfort and reassure patients
-obtain the patient's medical history, if possible
-perform and interpret diagnostic procedures such as taking vital signs and testing glucose levels
-administer pre-hospital emergency care including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), oxygen, bandaging, splinting, and assisting in childbirth and the treatment of trauma patients
-use a semi-automatic or automatic external defibrillator or bag valve mask resuscitator
-use basic airway management techniques
-transport patients to hospital or other medical facilities for further care
-document and record the nature of injuries and treatment provided
-assist hospital personnel as required
-maintain ambulances, equipment and supplies.
-use spinal immobilization devices and traction splints
-maintain intravenous infusions without medications or blood products
-perform cardiac monitoring
-administer specified medications
-supervise and train staff members and students
-assist paramedics (where there are combined services).

A ACP (Advanced Care Paramedic) (aka Paramedic/EMT-P) is an advanced level EMS provider. They do all of the above plus have extensive training in advanced life support, including pharmacology, cardiac monitoring, and other advanced assessment and treatment skills. In addition to the above there scope of practice (in general) includes:

-maintain airways with intubation and surgical airways
-provide manual cardiac defibrillation and external pacing
-monitor and maintain blood and blood product transfusions
-provide wound management
-insert urinary catheters
-operate sophisticated equipment in advanced life-support ambulances, medevac aircraft or other advanced life-support environments
-administer medications for the treatment of medical conditions and management of acute pain
-initiate and maintain intraosseous infusions.

The average time to become a PCP is one year. For an ACP its an addition two years ontop of your PCP training. This is from Alberta but I pretty sure Ontario works the same way give or take. Plus you needs you EMR (or FMR: whatever you guys call it down there) before you can take your PCP. That course is usually 2-4 weeks.

The NCM SEP program has recently listed some new colleges that are acceptable, the web page isn't always totally accurate. I strongly advise you get to your nearest CFRC and ask about them. The NCMSEP occupations are Open Selection List (OSL) meaning the Production / Selection Officer at the centre can select and offer you a job.

CFR FCS

xxsikpunkxx said:
:) Hello everyone. Don't know if anyone read my previous post, .........

DID YOU even bother to read your post and the advice in the response to it?

^^ means I am replying to the direct above post. It is easier, and takes up less space than a quote function.

He is right. He was asking two separate questions in each post. The first post is easily done by a couple of different searches. The second not so easily.

Nites

I was wondering who on here has applied to the CF as a semi skilled Med Tech. I have just recently wrapped up my Hiring process and all went very well, but would love some input from anyone who has applied in the same way. I was told that Med Tech, especially semi skilled, was in high demand right now and that i was in a great spot. They said i will be most likely bypassing my QL3 training, starting as a P3 or CPL, and will make SGT by the time my initial contract is finished(6 years); They also mentioned that right now there is a $10000 signing bonus, which varies year to year for semi skilled. Does this sound right? The reason i ask is that i have gotten a lot of not so accurate information in the past 2 years and have delayed my application until now, as a result. I realize you don't get the exact information about your offer antil they have had a chance to put together YOUR contract/offer. The guy i had the opportunity to deal with this time was super approachable and made things way more understandable this time around, not to mention, his info was very different from what i had heard before. I actually didn't follow up process a year ago after getting some very inaccurate info, so it was nice to finally get the the facts.

I realize that a person typically only get 2nd language training after being commisioned, but has anyone taken it in the same way as a NCM, on here at least? How was it? I think that would be a very valuable asset for any member of the CF.

Does anyone have any information on the Physicians assisstant course? It sounds outstanding and is a big part of why i signed up. I'm looking for details on skills, intubation, ACLS, Pharmacology etc. The best i have gotten is that you are like an Advanced Care Paramedic with a few more skills, and that you are geared more for a clinic type of a roll when they are unable to get actual physicians, which is a big problem in the forces.

I have found tons of details on BMQ, but nothing that actual describes(schedule format) what takes place in SQ. Details would be appreciated. Why is it no longer 10 weeks?

I was told that i might be in BMQ for January, but most likely March; what are the odds of me ending up in Borden? It's kind of my preferance, but not a huge deal.

I have also heard many things about base housing for the single guy, but what is it like,optionwise, for the guy with 3 kids and a wife? Is it affordable, nice etc. Do they allow pets?

Thats it for now. Thanks for any light you guys can shed on my concerns.

I can't comment on the medic part of it.  SQ is changing a lot, a brand new TP (training plan) was just implemented for it.  They have pretty much gotten rid of it for infantry as it focused mainly on cold war tactics, and have changed it more to deal with urban operations and it is combined with BIQ as DP1 (development program 1).  You will be sent to Borden if there isn't enough room in St. Jean.  I don't think you have much of a choice.  The housing would be dependent on where you are posted and for how long, especially course wise.  You won't get it during BMQ, or SQ.  From what I heard, your course has to be minimum 6 months to have your family moved to the general area.  In Edmonton, you have to find a place off base.  Affordable.... you will have to do a lot of searching to find some place affordable.  Royal Lepage can help with it.

A lot of this information can be found with the search function.

As you already figured out your self, the specifics of what you may or may not get, can't really be answered here, as no one here can view your file (presumably).  Their was a CANFORGEN put out earlier this year listing which trades are currently receiving signing bonuses (I posted it in another thread about medics, search for it), and yes Med Tech is on that list.

Hey there everyone, just a quick question for anyone who has ever applied to the forces under the NCM-SEP program. If you apply under the listed trades for entry and have already been accepted into the specified college that is accepted by the forces for "Reconized schools" (e.i theres only a couple schools they will allow) ,go through the procedures of application/interview etc etc but DON'T get accepted into the entry program do they give you a NO answer? This is one of my kinda...stupid questions I guess just wanted to know because  OSAP applications are then needed to be filled out. Let me know whatever information you guys have. Also YES i've searched haha.

P.S: To those who think that I just want a free ride on education street (if it came out like that with the OSAP talk) It's not true, The forces have been and will always be my #1 now and in ten years. I just feel that I would like to be educated on the theory level (college) and the hands on learning I will get from the forces for my desired trade, Med Tech. I think both will be benefical for me in the long run because I'm the type that NEEDS to know the what and why to the how.

Anyways Thanks for your time.

God bless, Merry Christmas/New Years, and Kindest Regards

Kris :cdn: 

That's not a stupid question at all.  The recruiting centre is the place you should direct your question for a definitive answer.  That said, you will definitely get an accepted/not accepted notification regarding your entry into the program, which would hopefully arrive before the cutoff date for any education loans.  The recruiting centre (and possibly the OSAP office) might be able to advise you how to prepare in the event that the CF doesn't get back to you before any student loan deadline.

Back