• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Migraines (merged)

Mischiefz

Inactive
Reaction score
Just curious, will migraines affect my application in anyway? I dont require any daily medication to control  them, just the odd time I get a fairly severe one that usually ends up in a trip to emergency for a shot, generally get demerol from them.

Go talk to the Med Assistant at the recruiting centre and then they will probably tell you that to find out if your migraines will affect your enrolment can only be determined by going through the medical processing and having your file reviewed by the Recruiting Medical Officer (RMO).

I wish I had thought of that.

Everybody used to hide my painkillers on me.

Just curious, will migraines affect my application in anyway? I dont require any daily medication to control  them, just the odd time I get a fairly severe one that usually ends up in a trip to emergency for a shot, generally get demerol from them.

One question are you still functional with the haedaches?

What trade are you entering?

Sometimes, based on what trade you are entering you might get turned down.

Good luck.

My first moc choice is 291 and I can still function np during a migraine although it generally sucks.

If you can still function then why did you need demoral?

I'd loose most my vision and start vomiting and then go curl up in a ball somewhere and pass out.

I rarely get them now and they are not nearly as severe.

Ive got a pretty high tolerance for pain so I can function with most migraines, the demerol is to numb the pain enough that I can get some sleep and get rid of it =(

went in for my medical today and it turns out any form of headaches, including migraines require a form to be filled out by a familiy physician, adhd as well. Hopefully this doesnt hold up my application to long  :-\

When I joined the Artillery in 1990 I told the doc on my initial medical that I also suffered from the occasional migraine however by keeping a baggie of tylenol 500's on me anytime I deployed, there hasn't been a problem.Although admittedly the only true relief from a migraine is absolutely no light or sound, generally now my migraines are few and far between.I dont believe you will get any heartache when joining.

Hi, i get migraines but only when eating caffeine, and i don't not require bed rest as my family doctor agreed on, and check it off as not needing bed rest, on my headache questionnaire (the dr. at the recruiting office had given me to give to my family doctor)  also my family doctor put medication taken was Tylenol, that's is what works for me. That's the only thing i take when i get one.

after waiting 1 month i got the letter of doom, it said that because of my migraines i had been not enrolled in to the Canadian Forces but it had 2 wrong statements on it saying: needs bed rest (which my family doctor confirmed that i didn't need bed rest) second saying that i get them frequently which i do not, i only get a headache when i eat caffeine!!
i talked to a recruiter and she said my concerns will be heard, which made me feel i little better but then she said it may take up to a month to hear back from a medical assistant, the waiting begins again

i have no idea what to do now ??? It was a dream of mine to become a soldier for the Canadian Forces :cdn: if anyone has and idea what i should do now please let me know??? Thank you  :salute:

I am also new to this site so please forgive me for any mistakes

Things get messed up on employment/enrollment medicals-mine for the job I currently have ended up with results that said I had 20/80 vision (I do not wear glasses) and a hernia. I have neither, in fact had just come from the hockey rink where I played two hours in goal which would be highly unlikely for a half blind man with a hernia to accomplish. Not mention the pushups(yes pushups) I had to do for the doctor.

I fought the results, told my employer their contracted clinic was full of ****, went to an optician that proved my eyesight was fine to the point I do not need glasses legally to drive. Three years later I still don't have a hernia.

Personally I would have not volunteered the fact I got migraines as getting or not getting them is something you can totally control ie don't use caffeinated products. Just needlessly has complicated a straightforward issue IMHO.

Good luck and don't stop with your efforts until the system realizes their error.

Related thread and posts pared to reflect the OP's posting here.

Amy.Taylor said:
if anyone has and idea what i should do now please let me know???

As i told you before in another thread, you were told the steps to take in order to apeal this decision, you have seen your doctor to fill out the proper form and have returned it to the CFRC. The ONLY thing for you to do now is to WAIT for the result.

I also said (in my mysteriously deleted post  ???) that the fact that the migraines are caused by caffeine may also be the problem.  A lot of food products have caffeine as an additive.  This may make it difficult to avoid.
If you only require Tylenol, I am wondering if the headaches are actually migraines or if they may be more of an allergic reaction.
At any rate, as everything that can be done has been done, all you can do is wait and call the CFRC periodically to see if there are any updates.

about writing the same subject in 2 different threads.  i am new to this site and i am just starting to figure things out. Also thank you, and all i can do now is wait to here from the medical assistant at the recruiting office  :)

Amy.Taylor said:
about writing the same subject in 2 different threads.  i am new to this site and i am just starting to figure things out. Also thank you, and all i can do now is wait to here from the medical assistant at the recruiting office  :)

Good luck. Theres light at the end of the tunnel. That light isnt always what you expect but it usualy turns out good.

I'm in the same boat with caffeine induced migraines, but only chocolate and coffee products have enough to do it to me. And plus mine are super mild, I get an aura for a bit and no headache. So I'm going to keep my fingers crossed! I sent my medical forms in the other day, and they said I should hear back in the next week or two, so at least that's not too long. Good luck with yours too!

Back