• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military sterotypes?

I've come to the conclusion you have to carefully groom your parents to get their lips buttoned when you announce you're joining the CF, preferably starting when you're age 5 or younger. If you do it right, by the time you're 18 they wouldn't dare say anything about your decisions, because you've built a reputation of being headstrong, determined, and not broaching any opposition once your mind's made up. Doing it that way, they'll shake their heads, perhaps worship the ceiling god, and ask each other where they went wrong, but they'll leave you to your decision. Then when you succeed and make them proud, they can gloat over having done such an wonderful job of raising you. You just have to raise your parents properly!

Joking aside, parents aren't always right, and if you follow your dream, you have to work hard to get them on your side, unfortunately, after the fact. Join, work hard, do well, make them proud.

Hawk

medicineman said:
Well, the limo versions might have them hidden as opposed to in the rear window to make them look less trailer trashy.

MM

Well, not quite hidden, most Albertan limos have enough room for a turret.

God, I miss Alberta.

Hawk said:
............. If you do it right, by the time you're 18 they wouldn't dare say anything about your decisions, because you've built a reputation of being headstrong, determined, and not broaching any opposition once your mind's made up.

;D

.........and then the CF will reject you as "unsuitable for training".    >:D

I have no regrets about joining the militia. I am especially thankful for the driver training I received in my trade as a Transport Operator ( MSE-Op ).
When I joined Emergency Services in 1972, our Commissioner, Mr. Pollard, was a retired army colonel. A significant number of our management and senior staff, at that time, were veterans. It was a much more para-military culture in those days.
Although very limited, I believe my service as a Reservist made a positive impression on me, and helped me in my full-time career. 

George Wallace said:
;D

.........and then the CF will reject you as "unsuitable for training".    >:D

You could have a point if you don't know when to pull up and behave, follow orders, etc!

Hawk

Kat Stevens said:
I was raised on the Left Coast, in a little slice of paradise.  I came to Alberta in '96 when the army insisted that Chilliwack was a horrible place to live and train.  I seriously cannot believe I ever lived there, I am the most non-British Columbian I know of.  Beer, pickups, guns, and no PST suits me just fine!  At my 30 year HS reunion, I found there was absolutely no common ground left with people I grew up with.

The thing is, in Vancouver, There is a huge difference between the east and west side. Thus you are either defined as a 'west side kid' (Rich) or an 'east side kid' (poor). To give everyone an Idea; Westies are busted by the cops for smoking pot on the beach and Easties are busted for selling pot on the beach. I'm lucky to have gotten out of the latter, but am stuck with the former. This means being held to a standard post graduation that most of these kids experience. (Travel to Europe-come back and tell everyone about it-go to shows and parties-broke-student loan-degree-debt-meaningless, stressful job.) Not for me. Maybe it's a 'calling'? ;D

EastVan said:
The thing is, in Vancouver,Not for me. Maybe it's a 'calling'? ;D
(Quote Reader's Digest version)

All kidding aside, (and sorry for being a participant in the silliness that awesomed up this thread), EV, for a 17yr old punk a$$ kid, you come across as heaving your head on straight.

To me, you have come across as an eloquent, practical, yet maybe, driven person.

The CF is as good as it is, (IMHO), because the CF doesn't just accept anyone with a pulse.

If you Popeye your shit up, (I Yam what I Yam)....and go for it, to H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS with what “popular opinion” dictates.

You being in the ARMY/AIRFORCE/NAVY will not dictate who you are, or your Ideology.
Nor will it affect your family or friends.
My bestest, most bff ever, (went to school together from daycare through completion of High School, plus a pretty good punk drummer, too), joined up as a Sapper, dude went to Bosnia. He’s on his 6th or 7th year with our fine Country’s  RCMP.
Never saw that coming.
All I had for him back in the day was all that “teenage-angst, you’re a tool of THE MAN”, kinda crap.
When he found out I joined the Pres (in 2006, when I was 26 years young)...he sent me an email with the subject line...(HaHaHa...fascist!)

To him, I came on board.
To me, I growed up.

(That was a long-ass post, sorry)

EastVan said:
The thing is, in Vancouver, There is a huge difference between the east and west side. Thus you are either defined as a 'west side kid' (Rich) or an 'east side kid' (poor). To give everyone an Idea; Westies are busted by the cops for smoking pot on the beach and Easties are busted for selling pot on the beach. I'm lucky to have gotten out of the latter, but am stuck with the former. This means being held to a standard post graduation that most of these kids experience. (Travel to Europe-come back and tell everyone about it-go to shows and parties-broke-student loan-degree-debt-meaningless, stressful job.) Not for me. Maybe it's a 'calling'? ;D

Gibsons, actually.  Probably where all the pot the Easties were selling to the Westies came from.

Kat Stevens said:
Gibsons, actually.  Probably where all the pot the Easties were selling to the Westies came from.

Shhhhh.....Gibson's is still "non-premium" out East...
They don't know RYE yet...

Dude.... 8)

Kat Stevens said:

I remember going to Gibsons with the Navy.  Such and interesting experience!  In those days, you only went on a Thursday as that was the day they brought a stripper (one girl - multiple sets) into the pub and it was ladies night (i.e. male strippers) at the cabaret down the street.  All the guys would go to the pub until about 10:00 pm and then migrate to the cabaret.  The best part was that the duty watch would not be left out.  With the ship tied up at the jetty (near Molly's Reach) you could see the stripper at the pub through the big bay window by using binoculars from the quarterdeck or even better by using the "big eyes" on the bridge wing.

EastVan said:
Hi! first time post here (hope this is in the right category).

So, a couple months ago I had revealed to my mother and step dad that I had plans to work in the army, more specifically the infantry(I'm 17 now). This is something I had always seen myself doing, ever since I was little.

Their response was not at all what I expected. They weren't proud, concerned for my safety, or even interested as to why I had made this decision. The first thing that came out of my mother's mouth was "People who join the military generally aren't very smart. What followed soon after were rants on how I should go to culinary school (I don't cook, I work in a restaurant and it sucks!), how soldiers are enforcers of American foreign policy, how I could be doing better things with my life and how the military will brainwash me (I found this kind of ironic).

I didn't expect their responses to be overwhelmingly positive, but I was surprised by this. I guess they want me to lead a 'normal' life. It got me wondering though, what is with the negative stigma attached to the Canadian Military? Everyone thinks I will be killed immediately, be brainwashed, or that I'm wasting time that could be spent in college. And can someone shed light on how many 'dumb' people are actually in the infantry?

Interesting topic on the viewpoint of Canadians in general. My own mom asked me WHY when I said I wanted to join, but never went as far as saying it's where 'stupid' people are employed, she's just concerned that I'm not going to come back home in one piece. Now, having said that I think your mom may actually be calling army personell 'unintelligent due to the fact that many outside the realm of the Canadian Armed Forces believe that war is a waste of time and most would just assume not send anyone to afghanistan. Since many Canadians think war is stupid, they might just be inferring that the only people who would volunteer for such a 'stupid' cause would be unintelligent people. It may not be that your mom thinks all soldiers are stupid. She may just be thinking war is stupid and drawing a correlation between the two. Kinda similar to how people stereotype athletes as all having the jock like mentality and not very book smart.

My best advice is to draw the correlation between yourself being a smart future soldier and ask her if you're intelligent and joining up, then there must be more. Pretty sure mommy is going to change her tone the second you imply that she's calling you anouther stupid soldier. You'll also soon realize that your choices are your choices and I can guarantee this won't be the last time your parents disagree with something you do! They'll eventually, if they're good parents realize that you're your own person and quite honestly there is no greater honour than serving your country.
My mom asked me if I knew that I might die, almost as if the though the thought hadn't crossed my mind. I said you don't join the army because you're worried about dieing. Today she helped me contact a family friend to finalize my references :p

To sum it up, sometimes you just need to be straight with your parents and tell them the real reason you're joining. Hopefully it's not just to blow stuff up and to get your first confirmed kill.
Something you could mention and show to your mom is some of the high tech equipment that these unintelligent soldiers use. Some of it worth more than a lifetime's salary.

Wow does she realize that alot MOSs require a univeristy degre?  Also I think is getting the canadian forces mixed up with:

America, forcing democracy uppon countries since 1779

thewildandelusivebacon said:
Wow does she realize that alot MOSs require a univeristy degre?  Also I think is getting the canadian forces mixed up with:

America, forcing democracy uppon countries since 1779
I hope you realise that spelling, punctuation and proper use of grammar is also the hallmark of the Canadian Soldier, but anti-American rants aren't so popular here.  Perhaps you have us mistaken for these guys...

Technoviking said:
I hope you realise that spelling, punctuation and proper use of grammar is also the hallmark of the Canadian Soldier, but anti-American rants aren't so popular here.  Perhaps you have us mistaken for these guys...

I was just joking. I have tons of USA relatives. As for the spelling, I came in from out side and by hands where frozen solid.

thewildandelusivebacon said:
I was just joking. I have tons of USA relatives. As for the spelling, I came in from out side and by hands where frozen solid.

That was your freebie...your next joke (if in violation of the Forum Guidelines as this one is) will get you a Verbal Warning or more.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Der Panzerkommandant.... said:
Hell, we had an Officer who actually designed a piece of equipment that is currently on the ISS! Why he's in the Military I have no idea....I think it's the challenge.

I think it's because having a talent to do one thing does not change your fundamental drive to do that which you truly love, to do that which you truly ARE.

Speaking of military stereotypes, what are your thoughts?  A civilian friend told me that the military is downright wrong for me because a) You need to be "rough" and,  b)  You'll be harrassed by lesbians.  Strangely, my mom also told me that soldiers are so "rough". She said, "Be careful, you'll be dealing with some very 'rough' people."  ;D 

I have already met a few civilized people in the CF.  They are no more "rough" than people I have met throughout my life, but people will naturally be "rough" when the occasion calls for it.  My understanding is that the CF hires people according to their potential to do the job well, rather than "rough" personality types.  CF members are not all "rough" and not all lesbians.  Nor are all lesbians "rough".  What's "rough" anyways?

It's a well known fact that when you walk into the recruiting centre you are challenged to a fight.  If you win the fight you are offered a job......if you lose you are not considered "rough" enough for the military and you are kindly asked to leave.

Seriously....the military is no different than anywhere else.  You have all kinds of types of people and personalities.  And as for having lesbians....there are some but who cares?  I don't know why you think they would harass you in anyway.

My advice is to you is to goto a recruiting centre and see for yourself what kinds of things the CF can offer.  Oh and stop listening to you friend.  He/she sounds like a doorknob

Back