• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New brown boots on trial?

We could use squirrel skins... lots of those around.. appearently Toronto has enough to start posing them, from what I heard on the news...

They pose Hizzoner Da Mayuh of Moronto ....why not squirrels!!

tango22a

Got a friend from the UK.  Was telling me that some eating establishments in London actualy serve Squirrel ...
heh... if they serve Dog in China and Korea.... who am I to judge

geo said:
Budhists.... they DID have a problem with COWhide
The airline revised it's policy and cancelled the leather seats.

So I asked one of my Hindu coworkers and they do indeed frown on leather - at least - they avoid it where alternatives are available, and never bring it into temples or shrines.  Interesting religion it is.

Squirrel is pretty common in parts of the US too - I seem to recall my wife (who's from Georgia) telling me that the traditional recipe for a common dish where she's from would include squirrel meat.  Never had it myself though.

heh... travel to Newfie & you,d be familiar with "seal flipper pie"

Redeye said:
Squirrel is pretty common in parts of the US too - I seem to recall my wife (who's from Georgia) telling me that the traditional recipe for a common dish where she's from would include squirrel meat.  Never had it myself though.

The only place I've seen an actual hunting season for squirrel in Canada is southern Ontario. That's only for grey and black though. The red squirrel is protected, IICR. None here anyway, they're all up north. They greys grow big here and I grew up hunting and eating them. It's not as common as it used to be, but there's still plenty of people here that take them.

Today I could have sworn I saw someone wearing the boots on trial.  I thought it was a desert boot too, but it was darker and the person was wearing a flying suit (of course, he could be getting ready to deploy.)  Anyone in the know on how the trial is going...and if I should wait a little bit on exchanging my spare Mk IIIs/Aircrew boots? 

So .... do brown boots have the Look Cool Factor going for them?

Didn't really stand around and stare, but they looked to me like brown GPBs/CWWBs.

Dimsum said:
Today I could have sworn I saw someone wearing the boots on trial.  I thought it was a desert boot too, but it was darker and the person was wearing a flying suit (of course, he could be getting ready to deploy.)  Anyone in the know on how the trial is going...and if I should wait a little bit on exchanging my spare Mk IIIs/Aircrew boots? 

Some of us have Magnum desert boots, and those occasionally come in a significantly darker shade for some reason. Both of my pairs are very light, but another fellow from my bunch just got the darker ones. Leather, nylon, and eyelet paint all match on each pair, ie the eyelet paint is either light or dark according to the colour of the boot.

Dimsum said:

There are various boots on trial right now. One of which is coloured "Cadpat Brown". It's a darker shade tan than the desert boots. It's ("Cadpat Brown") the only colour that is common to both the Cadpat TW uniform and our Cadpat AR uniform.

Hmmmm. One boot - in a colour common to both uniforms ... could that perhaps cut down on the number of pairs of boots we all have to cart around with us?

Just saying is all ...

ArmyVern said:
Hmmmm. One boot - in a colour common to both uniforms ... could that perhaps cut down on the number of pairs of boots we all have to cart around with us?

Just saying is all ...

Agreed...if I took out all the different CF footwear I had I'd look like Imelda Marcos, and I'm pretty sure most would say the same.  If I could only somehow turn in my Mk IIIs and most of my pesky CADPAT items of clothing that are just taking up space in my closet.  ::)

ArmyVern said:
It's ("Cadpat Brown") the only colour that is common to both the Cadpat TW uniform and our Cadpat AR uniform.

If you look at the DSSPM specs, there is actually no brown colour that is common to both patterns:

According to DSSPM 2-2-80-500 Specification for CADPAT (TW)  [Canadian Disruptive Pattern (Temperate Woodland)]
CADPAT TW Brown CIE LAB 1976 co-ordinates for illuminant C, 2° observer are:
L*  36.5
a*  4.6
b*  14.5

According to DSSPM 2-2-80-501 Specification for CADPAT (AR) [Canadian Disruptive Pattern (Arid)]
CADPAT AR Brown CIE LAB 1976 co-ordinates for illuminant C, 2° observer are:
L*  34
a*  7
b*  13

For more information, well beyond my limited scope of intelligence, on the CIE system, look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lab_color_space

As there are different CIE numbers assigned to 'Brown' for CADPAT TW and AR respectively, these are two different browns.  Unless DSSPM is going to change the specs for the CADPAT patterns, the 'Common Brown' boot will be uncommon to both, or either pattern;  Instead, it may be more of a 'Compromise Brown'  ;D

only by special order for special soldiers Oldsolduer ;)

Matt_Fisher said:
Instead, it may be more of a 'Compromise Brown'  ;D

I just know they're being called "cadpat brown" ... and besides, the colour brown in my cadpat is different from the guy's right next to me at work - depending upon how many wash cycles they've been through.

x80 said:
I was at the Rideau Center around lunch time today and saw an AF Major wearing a pair of brown suede boots...

FWIW, wasn't there a regulation about not wearing the desert boots within Canada.... xcept, I guess, the troops who are currently preparing to deploy & who are wearing AR Cadpat?

geo said:
FWIW, wasn't there a regulation about not wearing the desert boots within Canada....
I suspect this brown Air Force boot may be a temperate weather thing.

Back