• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New brown boots on trial?

geo said:
FWIW, wasn't there a regulation about not wearing the desert boots within Canada....

The policy prohibits the wear of the wear of desert boots by anyone, anywhere that are not deployed or preparing to deploy to TFA or CM. I've been dealing with this issue for some time now since i was told that the Mojave Desert was not "desert" enough.

MCG said:
I suspect this brown Air Force boot may be a temperate weather thing.

It is indeed and a new hot weather boots in upcoming as well.

One little clarification ...

"not to be worn by anyone who is not preparing to deploy on international operations" (not limited to operations in TFA or CM ... we have personnel on other international ops as well who wear the desert boots).

ArmyVern said:
we have personnel on other international ops as well who wear the desert boots).

I agree Vern, however, the document i was presented with only included TFA and CM specificaly.

CDN Aviator said:
I agree Vern, however, the document i was presented with only inluded TFA and CM specificaly.

And, I think that it was I who sent you that ref that they held against you.  8)  But, you know my thoughts on it already. Imagine -- not being able to wear desert boots ... in the desert; any desert.  ::)

ArmyVern said:
Imagine -- not being able to wear desert boots ... in the desert; any desert.  ::)

Yeah...i love arbitrary policies  ::)

So...if I'm reading this correctly... Mojave is NOT considered desert boots?

MedTech said:
So...if I'm reading this correctly... Mojave is NOT considered desert boots?

"... deploy on international operations" ... so, no, I guess you're not.  :-\

ArmyVern said:
Imagine -- not being able to wear desert boots ... in the desert; any desert.  ::)

Even Texas....      ::)

Regards

One of the first times posting on this forum, but I have been following the posts for some time now.

While not directly related to the discussion about boots, or boot colour specifically, here's a link to a recent CTV special on pre-depl training and the troops from Pet going over for the next ROTO.

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/top-picks/preparing-for-afghanistan/#clip83603

Note the varying standards in uniform AND short glimpses of guys wearing tan chest rigs (mixed in with others wearing TW tac vests over AR uniforms). Great to see that troops are allowed to train with the kit they are going to use overseas ... but then the issues with desert - no desert boots during pre-depl training in arid conditions such as Texas.  I don't get it.  Any comments from guys/gals actually going over for the next roto?  I'd hate to speculate based on news footage while being stuck in the NCR and not seeing it for myself.

Soldier1stTradesman2nd said:
One of the first times posting on this forum, but I have been following the posts for some time now.

While not directly related to the discussion about boots, or boot colour specifically, here's a link to a recent CTV special on pre-depl training and the troops from Pet going over for the next ROTO.

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/top-picks/preparing-for-afghanistan/#clip83603

Note the varying standards in uniform AND short glimpses of guys wearing tan chest rigs (mixed in with others wearing TW tac vests over AR uniforms). Great to see that troops are allowed to train with the kit they are going to use overseas ... but then the issues with desert - no desert boots during pre-depl training in arid conditions such as Texas.  I don't get it.  Any comments from guys/gals actually going over for the next roto?  I'd hate to speculate based on news footage while being stuck in the NCR and not seeing it for myself.

All that video featured in that clip was in theater and not of pre-deployment training.

Regards

Crap. You're right. The link only gives the first clip (with archival footage and current JTF-A comd) in a series of CTV specials from Pet on the day I found it. The clip I was referring to showed troops either in Pet or Texas, both in TW and AR combats firing weapons, walking on dirt paths in the training area and talking about their training (some wearing TW combats with tan chest rigs). I will try to find the proper link (CTV video on demand is tough to navigate when you're looking for something specific), unless someone knows where to find it.

Sorry about the confusion.

I guess I get the scoop on who's put up the first pics of the new Boots, Combat, Hot Weather, Brown (Army) NSN: 8430-20-004-1013.

BootsCombatHotWeatherBrownArmy.jpg

BrownHotWeatherBootCloseUp.jpg

The colour is referred to in the tender as 'DND Brown', and is a full grain, chrome tanned, nubuck finish leather that is intended to be maintained by brushing only (no mention is made whether you can use any boot dressing compounds).

The sole is brown rubber to match the leather.  Good luck on getting these resoled commercially, with a brown replacement sole.   ::)

BrownHotWeatherBootSole.jpg

CloseupofGoodyearWelt-Noticehowsole.jpg

Boot is lined with Aerospacer 3D mesh, same as what the current Boot, Combat General Purpose, and the current issued Hot Weather Boot use, except that it will be chocolate brown.

BrownBootInteriorLining.jpg

As per the Boot, Combat General Purpose (commonly incorrectly referred to as the Mk IV Combat Boot), and the current issued Hot Weather Boot, this boot will have the 'dreaded' Heel Counter Pocket Lining, which has caused foot problems among a significant percentage of users.

TheDreadedHeelCounterLining.jpg

Surprise.  ::)

Footwear allowance. Dammit.

Why does the CF continue to waste the Taxpayers funds by buying boots which do not work for the troops ... which means they then sit on the shelf, not being issued (costing money in warehousing space, stkg, etc etc) because the troops will STILL buy thier own damn boots that actually work?

A single pattern of footwear which they intend to "force" tens of thousands of "structurally different" feet into WILL NEVER WORK. It didn't with bras ---- and it won't with boots, no matter how much they insist it will. What a damn waste of money.

They know there's a problem with feet, back, knees ... that's why we keep getting new friggin styles of boots every 18 damn months --- BUT they've yet to address the actual problem - solved with a simple footwear allowance so that the troops can buy (finally!!) what works for their own set of unique feet.

And, the circle continues --- no lessons learned. And that, has got to be a hell of a lot cheaper in the grand scheme of things.

:brickwall:

Matt_Fisher said:
I guess I get the scoop on who's put up the first pics of the new Boots, Combat, Hot Weather, Brown (Army) NSN: 8430-20-004-1013.

The colour is referred to in the tender as 'DND Brown', and is a full grain, chrome tanned, nubuck finish leather that is intended to be maintained by brushing only (no mention is made whether you can use any boot dressing compounds).

The sole is brown rubber to match the leather.  Good luck on getting these resoled commercially, with a brown replacement sole.   ::)

Boot is lined with Aerospacer 3D mesh, same as what the current Boot, Combat General Purpose, and the current issued Hot Weather Boot use, except that it will be chocolate brown.

As per the Boot, Combat General Purpose (commonly incorrectly referred to as the Mk IV Combat Boot), and the current issued Hot Weather Boot, this boot will have the 'dreaded' Heel Counter Pocket Lining, which causes foot problems among a significant percentage of users.

Let the blistering... begin!

While, I'd go so far as having someone like Logistik or anyone else who deals with boots provide a Logistik kind of service, it won't work cause, you really & truly need to try those boots on before giving your okie dokie to the clerk.

A boot allowance - pay for it & claim with support of bill, for an amount not exceeding $xxx.00 every year OR every other year

Just like for that darned combat bra

OMG... those boots are HIDEOUS! Yes... I prefer a slight bit of fashion sense when wearing uniform items as well... so sue me :D

But egads!

MedTech said:
OMG... those boots are HIDEOUS! Yes...

My first thought also, ...or was it that they looked like the quality I might buy at a "EVERYTHING ONE DOLLAR" foot place?

Maybe easier to live with 'live' though......

I think they look great; like more rugged GPBs. I just hope they have the same clunky weight distribution and that they fit nicely into my combat overboots.

MedTech said:
OMG... those boots are HIDEOUS! Yes... I prefer a slight bit of fashion sense when wearing uniform items as well... so sue me :D

But egads!

Maybe its the start of a trend, considering the look of the kit coming out of the NICE Project.

From the pictures, the soles are the same as the Hot Weather Boots the Navy is going to (maybe) get.

Why would they continue to use this heel if it is not working for the majority of people? (which I am betting is the same heel they are using in the Air Force TCBs as well that caused me trouble)

TDeV said:
I think they look great; like more rugged GPBs. I just hope they have the same clunky weight distribution and that they fit nicely into my combat overboots.

It is one thing to have a really mean looking pair of boots sitting on the shelf, but a whole different story when it comes to a boot that will fit well and cause little damage to feet during extended periods in the Field and on the March. 

Are these going to be "Boots for Show, or Boots for Wear"?

Back