• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer occupations – Which one should I choose?

capone75 said:
Hello, Im new to this post and new applicant for the CF. I want to enter as a Medic in the reserves. I have university degrees and community college ect, but scared about my math.
I have  an file processed and an pre interview chat this evening with  a CO. HOw long after this pre interview this evening will I have before my cfat as I want practice? I am thinking of getting a math tutor to get me up to  speed so I alteast feel confident in math area.. english is np. Thnx

See this ---->  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23193/post-1278.html#msg1278

DAA said:
Doesn't mean that you still can't get "unofficlal" responses to your queries...regretably, the individual identified themself and thus became an "official" source of info.  On top of that, CF File Manager refused to post any responses publicly, which doesn't provide a service to help anyone.

Actually, the individual in question was very willing to help, but given the official word to shut down from their chain of command. Official information must come directly from approved sources so the best advice is still 'contact your recruiter'.

BrendenDias said:
Is the Infantry trade open at the moment?
Thanks..
/quote]

Speaking with a recruiter would probably be your best bet for an accurate answer.

My mistake, I didn't read the OPs first post. Apparently not that competent at posting on my phone.

BrendenDias said:
Is the Infantry trade open at the moment?
Thanks..

I'm not a recruiter, but, as far as i know Infantry is closed. At least thats what North Bay told me.

Okay thanks... guess I have to wait until the next time it opens next, which will be... April? Gahh.

I know how you feel dude. Hurry up and wait haha. In the meantime try to make your application as competitive as possible.

Yeah, I'm kinda stuck. The only fall back I have is to apply for a college next year if I don't get in by next October.
I might put in for an armoured soldier also, but from what I've heard, Infantry is worth waiting for.

So Today I just did my CFAT and scored well enough for every possible job as a NCM in the Canadian Forces, but I want to be an officer. Is it possible too just rank up through being a NCM or any other way, or would I need to retake my CFAT
Thanks Guys!

I cant seem to find it, i'm new on this forum. If you could help in any way that'd be awesome! thanks

Go to the top of the page and look for the rectangle with the word SEARCH beside it. I wager that's the search function. Hope this helps.

Bewley61 said:
So Today I just did my CFAT and scored well enough forevery possible job as a NCM in the Canadian Forces, but I want to be an officer. Is it possible too just rank up through being a NCM or any other way, or would I need to retake my CFAT
Thanks Guys!

Yes. There are multiple options available, each with their own requirements beyond CFAT threshold.

UTPNCM. University Transfer Plan NCM. Soldiers without degrees are paid to go to school and receive a omission at the end. Similar to ROTP.

SCP. Special Commissioning Plan. Soldiers who have degrees apply to comission. Similar to DEO.

CFR. Comission from the ranks. Unlike the previous two, which require application, this is offered by the CO to his SNCOs and WOs who show outstanding officer like qualities.  No immediate requirement for a degree.

CEOTP. Continuing Education Officer Training Plan. Identical to one available to civvies. Not always offered. Application is made with intent to achieve a degree during service.

SRCP. Special Requirements Commissioning Plan. Available to CWOs. Commission, usually acting lacking, into the rank of captain. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe this is typically accompanied by a release after 5 or so years- but most who get it already have 25+ years in.

There's probably a few I've missed, but there you go.

Congrats! How was it?
--
Ahh, I called in and instead of just infantry, im: 1-infantry, 2-armoured 3-combat engineer for occupation choices.
The CF aren't recruiting infantry, I know until next year, in the spring-summer area they said. Apparently there are thousands of applications to go through, but not enough jobs for the taking, which is what the recruiter said to me.

Does anybody know when armoured/combat engineer would be recruiting? Same time as infantry maybe?

Bewley61 said:
So Today I just did my CFAT and scored well enough forevery possible job as a NCM in the Canadian Forces, but I want to be an officer. Is it possible too just rank up through being a NCM or any other way, or would I need to retake my CFAT
Thanks Guys!

I take it that you did not score high enough on the CFAT for officer occupations.  If you join as an NCM, there are in-service avenues to commissioning (the various plans already identified) but as part of the processing for in-service commissioning your existing CFAT score will be reviewed and, if it does not meet the cut-off for officer, you should be offered the opportunity to retake it.  If you don't meet the CFAT scores for officer, you don't get commissioned.

Shamrock said:
Yes. There are multiple options available, each with their own requirements beyond CFAT threshold.

UTPNCM. University Transfer Plan NCM. Soldiers without degrees are paid to go to school and receive a omission at the end. Similar to ROTP.

SCP. Special Commissioning Plan. Soldiers who have degrees apply to comission. Similar to DEO.

CFR. Comission from the ranks. Unlike the previous two, which require application, this is offered by the CO to his SNCOs and WOs who show outstanding officer like qualities.  No immediate requirement for a degree.

CEOTP. Continuing Education Officer Training Plan. Identical to one available to civvies. Not always offered. Application is made with intent to achieve a degree during service.

SRCP. Special Requirements Commissioning Plan. Available to CWOs. Commission, usually acting lacking, into the rank of captain. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe this is typically accompanied by a release after 5 or so years- but most who get it already have 25+ years in.

There's probably a few I've missed, but there you go.

I should metion that I didnt score high enough too be an officer is that a problem?

Bewley61 said:
I should metion that I didnt score high enough too be an officer is that a problem?

"Rewrites
Rewriting the test is only allowed in certain conditions. If you do not pass, you can request to rewrite the test after 3 months. You will only be allowed to write the test a third time if you provide proof that you are registered in a college or university program, and that you are passing courses without difficulty."
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/howtoapply-106#step3-3

Good evening everyone,

I recently applied to the Canadian forces on October 31 of this year. I applied for three trades 1. Military Police, 2. Supply Technician and 3. Artillery Soldier - Field. Could anyone possibly tell me how long the process takes to complete and also if these trades are open for applications?. Thanking all of you in advance.

Lostly

Lostly said:
Good evening everyone,

I recently applied to the Canadian forces on October 31 of this year. I applied for three trades 1. Military Police, 2. Supply Technician and 3. Artillery Soldier - Field. Could anyone possibly tell me how long the process takes to complete and also if these trades are open for applications?. Thanking all of you in advance.

Lostly

I submitted my application on Sept. 4 of this year and am only now going in for my interview and medical tests. As well I have been told that I likely won't get a 'yes' or 'no' until April.

Hope this helps

Back