• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public service employment has grown by 31 per cent

Simon Cowell Pron GIF by America's Got Talent's Got Talent

Nah, just a rebellious and obstreperous Irishman ;)

Just for good measure ;)

Capture.PNG

While I do think the CBC has a political slant, I do have to wonder from a pure fiscal perspective is it simply an employment program from for second rate Canadian actors and television industry, or does it actually produce programing that could survive on its own merits ?

I don't agree with propping up organizations with tax dollars that wouldn't/can't survive on their own. Banks and Industry is the same, if they fail let them fail.
Everyone knows real Canadian stars get their big breaks on Showcase!

Trailer Park Boys Drink GIF

CBC received approximately $1.1B in Parliamentary appropriations, and just under $100M in authorities for amortization in 21-22. No idea where that $11B number comes from, but it is incorrect.

I looked at their revenue sources earlier and they indicate a fair bit is advertisement. It would be very easy to disguise fiscal support as advertizing dollars. One would have look at how the government divvy's up the advertizing dollars it spends to see if CBC gets a larger than average amount.

I looked at their revenue sources earlier and they indicate a fair bit is advertisement. It would be very easy to disguise fiscal support as advertizing dollars. One would have look at how the government divvy's up the advertizing dollars it spends to see if CBC gets a larger than average amount.
Yes the Federal government is a large advertiser in Canada. Add in other government related orgs too plus lower levels of government. Also in Other revenue add Telefilm and Canadian Media Fund....it will get you way above 70% or 69% :)

Will you be on strike as a result of this?
No, but part of our team is. We had zero luck getting anyone on the essential worker list, even as a possible call in for emergencies. A lot of ADM(Mat) is impacted though as all the civie technicians are part of the strike. Most sections are 1 SME deep on equipment, and frequently the alternate is also a civilian

Having said that, if there was a genuine emergency I think they would come in anyway, but it's we're still expected to try and figure out work arounds for mostly-busted things to keep ships at sea, which seems a bit like the backgrounder on a BOI at this point in a lot of cases. Fully expect another major fire/flood/grounding/allision before I'm posted.

CBC received approximately $1.1B in Parliamentary appropriations, and just under $100M in authorities for amortization in 21-22. No idea where that $11B number comes from, but it is incorrect.

I'm the guilty party of the $11B

I had read somewhere, quite recently, that their budget last year was approx $11.2B and they had generated another X amount of money via advertising.

I'll try to track down what I was reading and post the link. But I'm the guilty party that brought that number into the convo.

No, but part of our team is. We had zero luck getting anyone on the essential worker list, even as a possible call in for emergencies. A lot of ADM(Mat) is impacted though as all the civie technicians are part of the strike. Most sections are 1 SME deep on equipment, and frequently the alternate is also a civilian

Having said that, if there was a genuine emergency I think they would come in anyway, but it's we're still expected to try and figure out work arounds for mostly-busted things to keep ships at sea, which seems a bit like the backgrounder on a BOI at this point in a lot of cases. Fully expect another major fire/flood/grounding/allision before I'm posted.

Hang in there brother. I know you guys are stretched, and now much worse until the strike is over.

PS just got trimmed. :ROFLMAO:

We’ve been completely blindsided by the CRA and PSAC and now we don’t have a job anymore.​

renderTimingPixel.png

Im part of the 260+ employee who’s been laid off today by the CRA, in Montreal. They basically told us that they didn’t have the budget to keep us and I feel completely betrayed. They knew this was coming for months now. We worked our asses off during tax season and we went on strike for absolutely nothing. The worst thing is we won’t even have the benefits from the strike because we (probably) won’t be employed still when the new CBA will get sign off. PSAC knew about that and didn’t do nothing to help us in that situation. I’m so angry about it!

Not sure why you think people losing their jobs or not being renewed is funny.

That being said, those jobs jobs are term positions. Similar to class B contracts. No guarantee of employment beyond the term of the contract and can be cut at any time.

We recently received a message from PHA looking if anyone had vacancies in other departments for a number of their term employees that were hired during COVID.

DFO was famous for keeping everyone on term and not properly funding positions, including using capital funds to pay salary. When our program got moved from DFO to TC, they were pissed at the funding and our structure, we went through a review and TC sorted out our positions and got them properly funded. We lost a couple of people, but several positions were then made permanent with funding. Rather than a scramble for funds every year.

I don't think he's laughing at individual's misfortune in losing their positions, but rather the broader topic (and subject of this thread generally) of the Public Service being grossly inflated.

I think the PS hires are where trudeau gets his employment numbers from.😉
I've thought the same thing actually.

"Record unemployment"seems untrue given a lot of people I know who struggle, who didn't used to struggle...

And to see that term used when the public service has bloated to its biggest ever, seems a bit convenient

Holy moley...

Public workers demanded too much, given too much​

PSAC members not only were paid full salary during the pandemic but also added two more years to their generous pension benefits.

PSAC was determined to increase that public/private compensation disparity with wage increases of 4.5 per cent in each of the next three years. But even that wasn’t enough for the 35,000 Canada Revenue Agency workers who remained on strike demanding a staggering 7.5 per cent per year. I guess that was to compensate them for “taxing” their brains pushing the keys on an almost fully automated tax return system.

No wonder Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre observed during Question Period that “It’s one thing to increase the size and cost of the public service … and another thing to be faced with a massive strike by public servants … but it is an especially incredible achievement of incompetence to do both of those at the same time.”

Normally, PSAC’s excessive demands would have been tempered by the possibility of back-to-work legislation, but the NDP’s support of PSAC’s demands made the chances of that virtually nil. That put the Trudeau government between the proverbial rock and a hard place: either leave government services that people count on shut down or agree to a settlement that adds many more billions to already perilously dangerous deficit spending.

In the end, the union’s demands were met, but dressed up in different clothes. Rather than the 13.5 per cent over three years, settled for a nominal 11.5 per cent over four years, but retroactive to 2021 and added a 0.5 per cent special adjustment for 2023.

Holy moley...

Public workers demanded too much, given too much​

PSAC members not only were paid full salary during the pandemic but also added two more years to their generous pension benefits.

PSAC was determined to increase that public/private compensation disparity with wage increases of 4.5 per cent in each of the next three years. But even that wasn’t enough for the 35,000 Canada Revenue Agency workers who remained on strike demanding a staggering 7.5 per cent per year. I guess that was to compensate them for “taxing” their brains pushing the keys on an almost fully automated tax return system.

No wonder Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre observed during Question Period that “It’s one thing to increase the size and cost of the public service … and another thing to be faced with a massive strike by public servants … but it is an especially incredible achievement of incompetence to do both of those at the same time.”

Normally, PSAC’s excessive demands would have been tempered by the possibility of back-to-work legislation, but the NDP’s support of PSAC’s demands made the chances of that virtually nil. That put the Trudeau government between the proverbial rock and a hard place: either leave government services that people count on shut down or agree to a settlement that adds many more billions to already perilously dangerous deficit spending.

In the end, the union’s demands were met, but dressed up in different clothes. Rather than the 13.5 per cent over three years, settled for a nominal 11.5 per cent over four years, but retroactive to 2021 and added a 0.5 per cent special adjustment for 2023.

Pretty rich from a former director at SNC Lavelin.

Also, why wouldn't the public service keep getting paid if they were still working during COVID? There was a very short period where people were limited to VPN access but the LOE on that massive backend infrastructure upgrade was crazy and very quick, and then was back to situation normal for the vast majority.

Really tired of WFH being equated with time off; I personnally put in way too many hours at the start until I could figure out how to separate work/life while not leaving the house, and that seems common.

Back