• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP after High School Questions

PMedMoe said:
Yes, but asking a question in such a manner ("what are my odds of......") is difficult to reply to.  That's like a high school hockey player asking what their odds are of getting into the NHL.

Oh I understand that his question was put poorly, but he did provide a lot of information and probably thought he was being helpful.  It just doesn't hurt to be positive back to people.  Anyway, I'll bugger off now haha, I don't want to derail this conversation.

I am very determined on getting accepted in to the ROTP upon my completion of highschool, but I am a little worried about some things. I am not worried about the academic aspect of being accepted but I am worried about my lack of leadership experience. Through out my life I have not really done many things that I could gain this experience in, most sports I played have been individual sports such as motocross racing. My only team sport that can amount for anything would be highschool football, which I am not a captain in. I believe that I have the potential and skills to become a leader, I just need the chance to prove myself. So I was wondering how crucial prior leadership experience is for ROTP acceptance?

C.G.R said:
I am very determined on getting accepted in to the ROTP upon my completion of highschool, but I am a little worried about some things. I am not worried about the academic aspect of being accepted but I am worried about my lack of leadership experience. Through out my life I have not really done many things that I could gain this experience in, most sports I played have been individual sports such as motocross racing. My only team sport that can amount for anything would be highschool football, which I am not a captain in. I believe that I have the potential and skills to become a leader, I just need the chance to prove myself. So I was wondering how crucial prior leadership experience is for ROTP acceptance?
Instead of brainstorm ways to get around it, why not brainstorm ways to obtain leadership experience? Try and find a job that allows you some supervisory work. If you're still in high school, join a club. Also, DO some volunteer work.

BravoKilo said:
... I started to become somewhat of a leading figure in the school, attempting to motivate the other students in the the classes, on the news paper, and offer my assistance whenever I could. I even spearheaded a mildly successful charity program which raised a small amount of money.

How about continuing to dig into this stuff and "leading" your leadership quals with that?

And if you're concerned about dough while building up your education credibility, how about taking some first-year level night courses at a college? Talk to CFRC, and see what, if anything, you can do on the academic front that's within your means. Maybe a university-level english course, some math, and some history could reinforce your late-blooming academic credentials.

Hello,

I am 15, currently in grade 10 and plan on doing the ROTP after high school. My plan is to do civi rotp at carleton U, probably aerospace engineering. I have an 81% average (plan on getting it higher), I'm currently building an airplane in my backyard, and plan on getting my private pilots license this summer. I'm in air cadets, but this is only my first year enrolled. I'm open to opinions and thats really what I'm here for-I'd like to know if I'm a good candidate, what I can do to be more competitive, when to enroll, how to enroll, chances of getting in, is it smart to do civi rotp?, and anything I've missed. I'm a great listener, and take every comment with up most appreciation.

Regards,
David

Although I'm not enrolled, I do have limited experience and can answer a couple of your questions.

From what I've been told, you should apply in grade 12. I'd suggest getting it all together and sent in by the end of September, I've heard of a few people who have had papers lost, and I personally am wrapping up medical issues. So the more time you have to sort everything out the better.
Chances of getting in will change from year to year, the higher your average is, the better your odds, and I think Air Cadets will help, but I'm not a recruiter, so who knows. Also, get some leadership experience, it will help out a lot.
I have a cousin who goes to RMC, and a friend who goes to my current university who is in the military. What I've gathered is Civi U is great to help social interactions, not saying RMC folks aren't social, and you get more real world experience. Not only that lack of inspections, and more control over your schedule can reduce stress. My cousin told me he'd sleep on his bed with his ranger blanket to make his mornings easier.
The advantage to RMC is a good education, and I've heard their engineering department is where they excel, but that is second hand information. RMC also helps develop you as a military personal, you will be used to the high stress demand that will go along with your career choice. Also you have the chance to make a lot of friends who you might be stationed with.

Like I said before, this information comes from my current application process and some friends who are currently in ROTP.

David,

You're 15 and in Grade 10.  There are 16 pages of threads in the RMC, CMR, ROTP forum. You have plenty of time to read them all and to find many of the answers to your questions, and to many questions you just haven't thought of yet, well before you have to start taking action.

After that, start with the Recruiting Forum for that process, and then seek out any threads on the NCM trades or Officer classifications you might be interested in.

There's lots of info here for the finding.

As a retired Recruiter my advice to you is two fold here. First, there are many threads on this topic here have a look. Second go into your local Recruiting Centre and ask a Recruiter. They have all the information on what you need, what will make you competitive and what courses the CF will accept for the occupation you want.

Just because you walk into a Recruiting Centre does not mean that you will be put on a waiting bus. My advice is go in now so you know what high school courses you need for your occupation and the marks you need for ROTP. It all counts. You say you have an 81% now that is good enough to get you looked at but probably not good enough to get you selected. You will need to have at least an 85% and I recommend 88-90+% to be competitive for Aerospace Engineer.

Being 15 and looking now is great forethought. Glad to see your planning your future further ahead than next weeks party.

Hello blake,

Thank you for your reply. I was pondering on going to RMC, but I just don't want to spend my university years in an uptight environment-opposed to a civil university. And I was reading online that aerospace engineering at RMC is not credited by The Canadian Engineering Accredation Board, which is the biggest reason I want to go to carleton. Thank you for the advice on the leadership, I would have never thought of that.

Regards,
David

An 81 average is good, Cadets will help your application but in no way is it required I was never in Cadets, I was never student council, I finished High school with an 87 average. RMC vs Civy is a personal choice. Personally I have been to Civy U and wanted to go to RMC. Neither is better or worse for getting your application accepted. I am in no way advocating slacking off or anything, but remember you are 15 This program while competitive is in no way impossible to get into without being the student president plus in cadets since you were 3 months old, while single handedly serving meals to the elderly and simultaneously reading to blind children. In short. Take a breath, relax. Read the forums. and in September of your grade 12 year head to the recruiting center they will have the application packets ready for you.

Yeah, I have no idea where the nearest recruitment center is(live in northern B.C). I know I'm asking many questions that have already been asked, and I've read them. I'm requesting information better tailored for me. I also am asking early and repeating questions because alot of other people on here are in there mid to late twenties wanting to do ROTP and are, for the lack of a better word, screwed.

Thank you for your replies,
David

DavidWheatcroft said:
Yeah, I have no idea where the nearest recruitment center is(live in northern B.C). I know I'm asking many questions that have already been asked, and I've read them. I'm requesting information better tailored for me. I also am asking early and repeating questions because alot of other people on here are in there mid to late twenties wanting to do ROTP and are, for the lack of a better word, screwed.

Thank you for your replies,
David

Hate to tell you, but you will rarely find things that are tailored to you in life. An important attribute, not only for the military, is initiative. It is also important to be able to process information and make a decision based on what has been presented. I understand that it helps to obtain people's opinion regarding "your" situation, but only you know what is best for you. Read the posts Mr. O'Leary provided, read the forces.ca website, use the "Live Chat" function, and got to this link: http://www.forces.ca/html/index.aspx?sm1=6&sm2=0&sid=200&lang=en to find the nearest recruiting centre to you. If after researching for yourself and analyzing it as it pertains to your situation, you have specific questions - then seek advice. I also don't understand your reference to people in their mid to late twenties wanting to do ROTP that are "screwed".

Be prepared to wait, lots. Two different people on my NETPO had degrees in Aerospace Engineering, and they didn't get their trade choice as the trade was closed. So talk to a recruiter to see if they even have any available positions in that trade first.

hmm, I'm just trying to get a basis of understanding on what to expect, and most importantly-how to go about choosing my future. I'm trying to get answers like the reply from MSEnd314, DEXOlesas, And Blakes, tailored to me. Its the gaps in my knowledge I'm trying to fill, and not every question on this forum can answer them. Hey, I'm still learnin', any criticism is good criticism!

Thanks 2010 newbie, and mseng314

MSEng314 said:
Be prepared to wait, lots. Two different people on my NETPO had degrees in Aerospace Engineering, and they didn't get their trade choice as the trade was closed. So talk to a recruiter to see if they even have any available positions in that trade first.

Direct Entry Officer (DEO) and ROTP are two different entry programs and have two different numbers of available openings. If your friends applied DEO then I can see the trades being closed. ROTP has a different set of numbers they go by so don't be worried about openings. Look in the yellow pages of your local phonebook under recruiting it should tell you where the nearest Recruiting Centre is. If it's a long way out then ask them if they do "remote recruiting" in your area and when.

As for people in their mid to late 20's being screwed you may want to rethink that. I saw many in that age group enrolled in ROTP and older enrolled in the CF. Something else to think about is when to take the info you have received and act on it. Don't look for the answers that are "tailored" to you they may not be correct. Take all the information you receive and sort it. Bare in mind too that some of the answers you get will be from people who "think" they know the answer. Some of the answers you get are from people who are "in" the know. Those people usually have answers you don't want to hear.

I'm 24 made it into ROTP first round without a hitch. There is apparently a 2nd year student thats 30. Age has very little to do with it unless. You slacked off in high school and have absolutely nothing to offer the CF then yes you are in fact screwed.

DexOlesa said:
I'm 24 made it into ROTP first round without a hitch. There is apparently a 2nd year student thats 30. Age has very little to do with it unless.

100% correct - I am 33 and I was accepted ROTP first round for this September, so I agree with you age really has very little to do with it........

He's 15 and in Grade 10.  He is trying to make a decision whether to go to a Civilian Univ or RMC.......when the time comes.

If anyone thinks that they are "special" and need special consideration, then they should get that thought right out of their minds.  The only kids who are "special" are Jerry's Kids.

David, of the advice you received here I would look at Retired FDOs. He used to be a recruiter and knows how the system works and how they go about things.

Back