• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Route Summit Origins

rdtul

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm on my 3's course now and we were asked why Route Summit has that name.  Can anyone enlighten me?

Ok, found out the answer today.....after several well researched guesses.....

When the engineers decided to make their own route official instead of a dirt road they needed a name for it.  One of the guys involved in the design lived on Summit Road in Petawawa, and suggested Summit.  There you are.

There's a lot to Route Summit besides just it's name.

The building of the road started with Op Medusa in 2006, which cost the lives of 4 Canadian soldiers (including a Combat Engineer)... 5 soldiers if you include the friendly fire on the second day of the ground operation... as well as countless injuries throughout the rest of the operation. 

Throughout that tour (TF 3-06) and subsequent tours,  there have been many casualties on Route Summit... It is a very important road for the local economy, but it has cost quite a bit of blood.

The name may be as simple as the name of a beer brand, or the street one of the engineers lived on, but there's a lot more to the "origins" of Route Summit.

Here's some more info;

Operation Medusa (part 1)
Operation Medusa (part 2)
Operation Medusa (part 3)

Minister of National Defense Speaking notes

We did a lot of research on the history of the construction of the road, as well as Operation Medusa.  It went as far as our course warrant having Major Gasparatto come and spend a morning with us having a q&a session.  It's been good to talk to several people involved in the planning and construction of this particular highway, as well as the mission in general.
Thanks for the links, you can never know too much.

Back