• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So You Want to be Charles Atlas

Kratos said:
Nah, just do lots of push ups, sit ups and run.

Hey, it worked for me and in my experience, it will also work for most applicants who are not in shape for BMQ. Notice how this is the recruiting forum ? I've been on this site long enough to see what they usualy worry about.

Sure , people can do what you mentioned, but people worried about getting in shape before BMQ and posting here shouldnt spend their limited time on getting fancy. They're not woried about doing 10 BW chinups......THEY'RE WORRIED ABOUT DOING 1 !!!

Kratos said:
Yeah, the typical military response.

Why do any extra strength training that would make you better at those things?

Why not do weighted sit ups to make you better at body weight ones...

If you can do 10+ BW chin ups, why not start doing weighted ones to make you better at BW ones...

Nah, just do lots of push ups, sit ups and run.

Please. Can you just zip it for a while.

I think Cdn Aviator has it down.

This is a recruiting thread ... not the "kids kicked sand on me on the beach way back when I was a weakling and look where I am now, you can doooooooo iiiittttttttttt" Thread.

It's the basics. If you're beyond that - good for you.
Typical military response because we don't all feel the need to like like whatever that is in your avtar pic? No thanks.

So you're both just assuming that every recruit that passes through here are at an abysmal level of fitness/strength?

If someone could only do 1 chin up or less, then clearly they should be doing assisted chin ups.

Vern: Actually, I think this thread is now solely reserved for this discussion, is it not?

And nah, I was an athlete my whole life until I was almost killed/crippled in a car accident. I was on the other side of the fence for a while after that, though.

You're right. It's the basics. The basics: A level you should strive to better. Not the basics: Here, just do this, you should probably be alright.

Kratos said:
So you're both just assuming that every recruit that passes through here are at an abysmal level of fitness/strength?

If someone could only do 1 chin up or less, then clearly they should be doing assisted chin ups.

Vern: Actually, I think this thread is now solely reserved for this discussion, is it not?

And nah, I was an athlete my whole life until I was almost killed/crippled in a car accident. I was on the other side of the fence for a while after that, though.

You're right. It's the basics. The basics: A level you should strive to better. Not the basics: Here, just do this, you should probably be alright.

Please go start your:

"Getting waaayyyyy bigger and stronger than you have to be for basic training" (or everyday service) thread somewhere else - like a new topic with some sort of Charles Atlas title or something; then it will attract those who are interested in that to it.

You've already resulted in this one being thrown waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy off topic and now not visible to those who would seek answers RELEVANT to them in their basic capacity.

I'm sure a mod will come along and clean the shit right out of it though.

ArmyVern said:
Please go start your:

"Getting bigger and stronger than you have to be for basic training" (or everyday service) thread somewhere else - like a new topic with

I'm sure a mod will come along and clean the crap right out of it though.
Vern,
Check fire & look at the thread title.  A split has been done a while ago.  This already is its own thread and can carry on its way.

MCG said:
Vern,
Check fire & look at the thread title.  A split has been done a while ago.  This already is its own thread and can carry on its way.

So can you please toss it out of the Recruiting Forum then?? And, into some more worthy forum ... like Physical trg standards and/or fitness ... radio chatter (my recommendation for the latest site dick-measuring contest) ...

ArmyVern said:
Please go start your:

"Getting waaayyyyy bigger and stronger than you have to be for basic training" (or everyday service) thread somewhere else - like a new topic with some sort of Charles Atlas title or something; then it will attract those who are interested in that to it.

You've already resulted in this one being thrown waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy off topic and now not visible to those who would seek answers RELEVANT to them in their basic capacity.

I'm sure a mod will come along and clean the crap right out of it though.

Actually, it would be titled something about how to achieve those goals better and maybe, just maybe even exceed them.

I'd comment on your reading comprehension regarding this thread, but I'll refrain, since your normal is everyone else's insanity...

Kratos said:
Actually, it would be titled something about how to achieve those goals better and maybe, just maybe even exceed them.

I'd comment on your reading comprehension regarding this thread, but I'll refrain, since your normal is everyone else's insanity...

Your dick is bigger than mine --- guaranteed.

Whopppddeeefucking do.

Have a great cock-fight in here.

[/ignore]

For all the children fighting - this thread is now locked

Now that everyone has had the chance to cool-off, this is open again for those who want to discuss the topic (those who don't want to discuss the topic need not post).  Lets keep things civil this time; no more sniping and name-calling.

Haha Kratos is enraged...yeah I do every muscle type, you wanted to talk about how you only bench so I figured we stay on topic...keep doing it your way, I am sure it will work out for you :)

And for someone who takes no one's advice you sure seem to follow "Mr. Rippetoe" and other people down to the T...

This thread is sad.

scottyg said:
Haha Kratos is enraged...yeah I do every muscle type, you wanted to talk about how you only bench so I figured we stay on topic...keep doing it your way, I am sure it will work out for you :)

And for someone who takes no one's advice you sure seem to follow "Mr. Rippetoe" and other people down to the T...

This thread is sad.

The quality of a thread is what you make of it. You and Kratos should both give your heads a shake.

If you think you'll have all this extra time on your hands during your recruit training, you've got a big suprise coming.

OWDU

This thread is a mess; however, Kratos did bring up some good points, albeit it got lost in all the BS

The biggest one was his contestation that the army way of fitness aka running, situps, pushups, will take you to the end of the earth.

I am of the same ilk and I believe this is the biggest mistake the army is making with is indoctrinating new recruits into a mentality that pushups, situps, and running are all that is required. 

The only reason the army does this is because these exercises are easy and any average joe blow can do them.  However, basing your entire fitness model of this is incredibly stupid in my opinion and seeing tonnes of soldiers walking around with collapsed chests and crapped out backs is providing me with evidence that I am right.

Do I necessarily think that we should scrap what we do now, no of course not, however, we should be encouraging members to attain a higher level of fitness then they presently have and introduce them to superior methods of training.

Making powerlifting and strength training an integral part of the fitness component in the military would not only benefit the forces from an operational perspective as we would have stronger more capable soldiers who aren't broken by the time they are thirty because they didn't condition their body properly, it would also cut down on the endless trips to the MIR of soldiers complaining of back injuries, mostly attributed to the fact that they have severe muscular imbalances brought on by a combination of factors, one of which is improper physical conditioning.

I would like to see squats, pullups, and benchpress implemented into the CF Expres test as I believe strength is an important physical fitness component which the CF has, much to my chagrin, overlooked.

Maybe we should keep in perspective costs here too... It doesn't cost a cent to provide the equipment for soldiers to run, do pushups, situps, burpees, planks, supermans, and other bodyweight exercises and circuits, and for the most part plyometrics. It is also time efficient as you can have as many people doing them at one time as you want.

I have been told that most of the PT on CAP will be crossfit (Stymiest, you will know more than I if this is true), and a guy doing BIQ in Wainwright told me crossfit is a large part of their PT. These are high-intensity high-speed workouts that have a large strength component to them. They aren't powerlifting by any means but that's a whole other ball game. I also know that the PPCLI do crossfit regularly.

However, it would be very impractical and costly for St. Jean to put all of the people going through it's magical green doors on a weight training program and provide them the necessary time and equipment required. It would also be dangerous to put a lot of people on any serious lifting programs and because a lot of people have never lifted before. It certainly would be dangerous to start making new recruits to do heavy, compound lifts for 3 reps. And who is to teach them this superior knowledge? the PSP staff? Kratos already made his opinion clear on personal trainers and the like. I don't think the PSP would be very good when it comes to powerlifting, or at least not the one at St. Jean...

ballz said:
Maybe we should keep in perspective costs here too... It doesn't cost a cent to provide the equipment for soldiers to run, do pushups, situps, burpees, planks, supermans, and other bodyweight exercises and circuits, and for the most part plyometrics. It is also time efficient as you can have as many people doing them at one time as you want.

I have been told that most of the PT on CAP will be crossfit (Stymiest, you will know more than I if this is true), and a guy doing BIQ in Wainwright told me crossfit is a large part of their PT. These are high-intensity high-speed workouts that have a large strength component to them. They aren't powerlifting by any means but that's a whole other ball game. I also know that the PPCLI do crossfit regularly.

However, it would be very impractical and costly for St. Jean to put all of the people going through it's magical green doors on a weight training program and provide them the necessary time and equipment required. It would also be dangerous to put a lot of people on any serious lifting programs and because a lot of people have never lifted before. It certainly would be dangerous to start making new recruits to do heavy, compound lifts for 3 reps. And who is to teach them this superior knowledge? the PSP staff? Kratos already made his opinion clear on personal trainers and the like. I don't think the PSP would be very good when it comes to powerlifting, or at least not the one at St. Jean...

I agree with basically everything you say above, it would be cost prohibitive; potentially what could be done is give an introductory course to powerlifting (this actually occurs on CAP albeit its only a day long and you don't practice with any actual weight)

With this being said though, I am a firm believer that atleast for the Infantry Corps a greater emphasis needs to be placed on strength training.  I was just thinking about all the useless morning PT I have done and how a few of those mornings could of been put to good use teaching people how to properly train with weights etc.

scottyg said:

This thread is sad.

I'm not enraged.

I don't only train my bench by benching. I help improve my bench by doing upper back and tricep work.

You're right, it will work for me, as it has worked for many people before me. It comes back to the pudding thing.

I follow no one down to a tee. You don't even know who Mark Rippetoe is, nor do you know what either of the Starting Strength books are about, so I don't see how you can comment on that.

Also, I keep an online training log, at a place where people pass information back and forth. Many people have success with varying sorts of programming. Receiving input from all angles, from people who have been successful, to compile something that works for you is not following someone to a tee.

Overwatch Downunder said:
The quality of a thread is what you make of it. You and Kratos should both give your heads a shake.

If you think you'll have all this extra time on your hands during your recruit training, you've got a big suprise coming.

OWDU

I'm not looking to join the military anymore.

It really doesn't fit with my lifestyle, passions or interests. No sense in trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

Stymiest said:
This thread is a mess; however, Kratos did bring up some good points, albeit it got lost in all the BS

The biggest one was his contestation that the army way of fitness aka running, situps, pushups, will take you to the end of the earth.

I am of the same ilk and I believe this is the biggest mistake the army is making with is indoctrinating new recruits into a mentality that pushups, situps, and running are all that is required. 

The only reason the army does this is because these exercises are easy and any average joe blow can do them.  However, basing your entire fitness model of this is incredibly stupid in my opinion and seeing tonnes of soldiers walking around with collapsed chests and crapped out backs is providing me with evidence that I am right.

Do I necessarily think that we should scrap what we do now, no of course not, however, we should be encouraging members to attain a higher level of fitness then they presently have and introduce them to superior methods of training.

Making powerlifting and strength training an integral part of the fitness component in the military would not only benefit the forces from an operational perspective as we would have stronger more capable soldiers who aren't broken by the time they are thirty because they didn't condition their body properly, it would also cut down on the endless trips to the MIR of soldiers complaining of back injuries, mostly attributed to the fact that they have severe muscular imbalances brought on by a combination of factors, one of which is improper physical conditioning.

I would like to see squats, pullups, and benchpress implemented into the CF Expres test as I believe strength is an important physical fitness component which the CF has, much to my chagrin, overlooked.

Nice post.

I don't really know much to comment, but I don't think the military would go through that trouble. Teaching people how to squat properly can be an arduous task, especially if the instructors themselves cannot perform a proper squat.

I completely agree, though, regarding the volume of certain types of training, mainly push ups. When they have these kids constantly pumping out a high number of push ups, are they considering what they could be creating. Sure, do massive amounts of push ups with no back work at all.

Let's see if we can have all these kids' pecs guitar string tight and their shoulders hunched over. Maybe after this, we can have them do more physical activity, putting weight over their head to see if we can tear any rotator cuffs.

ballz said:

After a while, you have to introduce resistance, or else your progress will stagnate. What are you going to do, keep increasing the time on planks until you're doing them for ten minutes? Even during training, they could have recruits perform sit ups holding a ruck sack behind there heads and push ups and pull/chin ups with a weighted pack on their back.

Personally, I hate Crossfit. For the most part, it seems to be: "Here, do this random workout, perform a bazillion reps and hope your don't injure yourself."

Oh, please pay our outrageous gym fees.

Though I believe heavy compounds are a major factor in the training equation, there are also other things that can be added on top. I agree that it would be unwise to put recruits through this during training, but it would be cool if the information was provided for them to maybe look into later, in their own time.

I'm not talking about powerlifitng specifically, just the addition of heavy compound movements to strengthen the entire body. Who can't benefit from that?

These days, everything can be learned on the internet, through YouTube videos and online reading.

Stymiest said:
I agree with basically everything you say above, it would be cost prohibitive; potentially what could be done is give an introductory course to powerlifting (this actually occurs on CAP albeit its only a day long and you don't practice with any actual weight)

With this being said though, I am a firm believer that atleast for the Infantry Corps a greater emphasis needs to be placed on strength training.  I was just thinking about all the useless morning PT I have done and how a few of those mornings could of been put to good use teaching people how to properly train with weights etc.

I think everyone should know how to and properly perform the squat, deadlift and overhead press. Bench isn't really necessary, especially for general strength training. Something the majority of people don't understand is that the bench press is actually a very technical, full body lift and you can really destroy your shoulders benching improperly. I hear guys in the gym complaining about it all the time. It's not just flop down on the bench and unrack the weight.

That being said, you can severely injure yourself squatting and deadlifting too, but if you learn the proper form and start light, there won't be any issues.

Kratos said:
I think everyone should know how to and properly perform the squat, deadlift and overhead press.

For what purpose? 

Kratos said:
I'm not looking to join the military anymore.

So have you done any of the training regimes like BMQ? Because this:

Kratos said:
When they have these kids constantly pumping out a high number of push ups, are they considering what they could be creating. Sure, do massive amounts of push ups with no back work at all.

Makes me wonder...

While on basic I did plenty of push ups, we also did the equivalent amount of back work using body weight exercises. Heels on the ground, legs and back straight, holding a bar and pulling your chest up to it (basically the exact opposite movement of a pushup, not sure what it's called). Also did plenty of pull ups... so... what were you saying about not doing any back work?

Kratos said:
After a while, you have to introduce resistance, or else your progress will stagnate. What are you going to do, keep increasing the time on planks until you're doing them for ten minutes? Even during training, they could have recruits perform sit ups holding a ruck sack behind there heads and push ups and pull/chin ups with a weighted pack on their back.

Yes, "after a while" fine and dandy, agreed. But after a while is not basic, and for most posters wondering about how to prepare for basic or get in shape for basic, which is where this all stemmed from, "after a while" is not them either.

Again, your suggestions further suggest that you haven't been on basic... After they do the Express test and send people off to WFT, there are still plenty of people around that can initially only do the bare minimum to stay on platoon, which for some people is less than 12 sit ups and less than 7 push ups... and some can't do any chin ups.

Do you really think they require a rucksack on their back or behind their head to improve? They need to do assisted chin ups, which I believe YOU referred to earlier for people that can do less than 5, so now you're just contradicting yourself. Not on purpose of course, but just because you are obviously unaware of some of the fitness levels that are dealt with on Basic.

Kratos said:
Personally, I hate Crossfit. For the most part, it seems to be: "Here, do this random workout, perform a bazillion reps and hope your don't injure yourself."

That's one discussion I'm not interested or adequately informed enough (about the Crossfit program) to have. I have heard some criticism towards it and have also heard praise. Go figure, I guess I'll end up finding out for myself soon.

Kratos said:
Though I believe heavy compounds are a major factor in the training equation, there are also other things that can be added on top. I agree that it would be unwise to put recruits through this during training, but it would be cool if the information was provided for them to maybe look into later, in their own time.

New recruits are brought to the gym and introduced to basic weight lifting concepts and practice, and given what they need to "maybe look into it later, on their own time" for that. At that level, they start with the bare minimum and it's got to be standardized for the bare minimum. There's probably enough people there to take a group aside and discuss more advanced stuff with, but that isn't the goal of basic training.

Kratos said:
I'm not talking about powerlifitng specifically, just the addition of heavy compound movements to strengthen the entire body. Who can't benefit from that?

I agree with you, but there are more questions to be answered than that one question.

Kratos said:
I think everyone should know how to and properly perform the squat, deadlift and overhead press. Bench isn't really necessary, especially for general strength training. Something the majority of people don't understand is that the bench press is actually a very technical, full body lift and you can really destroy your shoulders benching improperly. I hear guys in the gym complaining about it all the time. It's not just flop down on the bench and unrack the weight.

That being said, you can severely injure yourself squatting and deadlifting too, but if you learn the proper form and start light, there won't be any issues.

Yes but you are also talking about a group of 2-3 PSP staff (limited staff and instruction) in a gym with 60 people with limited equipment and floor space. Like I said, there are a variety of questions that need to be answered and they all come down to the question that seems to hover over pretty much everything in life, "how can be best utilize our resources for maximum efficiency."

After reading through all this garbage, I really just have 2 questions for Kratos:

1. You seem to talk like a pro, but have not listed any qualifications other than "I do this all the time", to make me or believe any of your rants.
2. If you don't want to join the CF, nor have been in it in the past, how do you know exactly what we need to be fit to fight?

Back