• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Military Police [MP] Superthread

This is an interestng subject........

a civilian cadet instructor and an MP...who to beleive ?

It is indeed an interesting subject. I'd love some clarification, considering that here in BC we have both Municipal or City Police along with the RCMP, and no designated Provincial police force per se.........

My cat's breath smells like catfood - Ralph Wiggum

ok i got this question..

I asked about switching to MP, I have BMQ and SQ done.. They told me I cannot apply for a switch until I have my QL3 (BIQ) is this true, or is it a stunt to make me stay....please help.

J-Swift said:
ok i got this question..

I asked about switching to MP, I have BMQ and SQ done.. They told me I cannot apply for a switch until I have my QL3 (BIQ) is this true, or is it a stunt to make me stay....please help.

CFAO 49-11 -- TERMS OF SERVICE NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS PRIMARY RESERVE
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/049-11_e.asp

ANNEX C -- REMUSTER

1. The term remuster means the reassignment of a non-commissioned member from one MOC to another.

VOLUNTARY REMUSTER

5. Application for voluntary remuster is subject to the following provisions:
a. a member may not apply for remuster to more than one MOC;
b. the member must have a minimum of one year service in MOC from the date of enrolment or re-enrolment;
c. the member must be qualified minimum QL 1 ;
d. the member must meet the medical standards specified in A-MD-1 54-000/FP-000 for the new MOC; and
e. the member must be clearable to the security clearance level required for the new MOC.

The CFAO dates from 1987, if I recall correctly, the Qualification Level 1 (QL1) refered to is now MOC training, i.e., your BIQ. Your Orderly Room can provide you with a copy of the more current Area Directive.

well thanks michael, I guess I'll do BIQ then apply for the switch come September..(why they would want to waste money training me I don't know) but regardless I'll have at er....thanks

Toronto Police Officers or any other Municipal Police force are sworn Peace Officers by the Attorney General of Ontario which means they can enfoce the highway traffiac act or the criminal code in any jurisdiction in Ontario.  Usually when a Police Force finds someone committing a Criminal Offence or a Quasi Criminal Offence out of jurisdiction would  call the Police Force from that Jurisdiction on the scene  to deal with the crime.  It would be an hassle for another Police Force out of their Jurisdiction to lay charges because they would have to attend court in that Jurisdiction.

Ok, i talked to a recruiter about this issue. I am currently taking a Police Foundation diploma course, the recruiter said that right after school i can apply to be a MP. He said theres something liek 60 spots avail. everytime they go through hiring process ( which can be a few times a year). They get few qualified applicants b/c they are people whom do not possess a PF diploma.
Aside from that, civillian police forces Love MPs. When u graduate the MP school, there are civ. agencies that give you their card, and ask you to call them when u are done your service. I got that little tid bit from a Toronto Police recruiter, AND an RCMP rec. Of course you still ahve to go to training schools, but im sure its wortht he wait if thats wat you want to do.

AFireinside13 said:
Ok, i talked to a recruiter about this issue. I am currently taking a Police Foundation diploma course, the recruiter said that right after school i can apply to be a MP. He said theres something liek 60 spots avail. everytime they go through hiring process ( which can be a few times a year). They get few qualified applicants b/c they are people whom do not possess a PF diploma.
Aside from that, civillian police forces Love MPs. When u graduate the MP school, there are civ. agencies that give you their card, and ask you to call them when u are done your service. I got that little tid bit from a Toronto Police recruiter, AND an RCMP rec. Of course you still ahve to go to training schools, but im sure its wortht he wait if thats wat you want to do.

Taking any English writing courses with that diploma?

WOW what a nice change of pace i havnt been on here for a while due to the amount of trashing and rivalrey between the regs and the reserves. i personally think that it is crap that a trade that demands so much professionalism can show such a lack of it when in a forum. when i first started reading this page i was shocked by the amount of arguing between us. i am glad to see that we have decided to grow up and start to ignore the fact that we are different.. we share some of the same tasks however we do infact have differences in our tasks as well. good to see keep it up

AFireinside13 said:

I, for one, am a little skeptical about the above misconceptions.  Although what you were told may be true/false, most civilian police services don't accept MP training or experience as equivalent or lateral, even though the training is comparable to that of the RCMP and other police training entities.  Some police services will hire MP's as lateral after at least five years on the job as MP, mainly in New Brunswick and Alberta, but the majority don't.  Recruiters handing out cards as soon as you graduate is something you hear about at the Ontario Police College, when other police services attempt to 'steal' new recruits from other services, not at Borden.  Anyone who has experienced this at Borden, please feel free to correct me.

MP experience and training will come a long way when you do all your testing, interviews etc. for 'x' police service, but you will have to do all the same testing and complete the selection process as any other applicant right off the street.  I would personally suggest, just my opinion, that anyone that intends on joining any police service, including the MP, then you look at it as a career and maintain your loyalty and not use it as a stepping stone onto another police service.  Integrity and loyalty are essential traits in the profession of policing.

Just my bottom dollar...

They actually have this it hooks up to a vent in the car and it has a hose that attches to the vest so it pumps the ac air to the vest it self a ***** if you forget to take it off before getting out of the car.  Kinda like a vacum hose attaching to female end on the vest and the vest is lined with small airways underneath closest to the skin type thing.  Was as expensive as heck but i guess in Arz and NM it is worth its weight in gold.

I actually read a patent on this, it seems interesting but I have yet to see it or hear of anyone using them.  I guess the A/C in the patrol car will supplement for now.  I usually drive with one side of my carrier unattached to the velcro so the air can flow through, until they can actually put a small a/c unit in my vest carrier  ;D

Aw c'mon. Its an internet forum, i dont have to care about how i write.

P.S. You are correct in saying what i wrote may be correct or false as it is only word of mouth. However, the life experiences you gain as MP is a large advantage when applying for a civ. force. I wasn't trying to say they use it as a lateral (sorry if thats the way it came across) but it is seen as a great experience simply because many of the skills gained in MP are transferrable.

Aw c'mon. Its an internet forum, i dont have to care about how i write.

They are wondering how the destruction of the English language and writing skills began?

I would personally suggest, just my opinion, that anyone that intends on joining any police service, including the MP, then you look at it as a career and maintain your loyalty and not use it as a stepping stone onto another police service.  Integrity and loyalty are essential traits in the profession of policing.

From what alot of people tell me a person shouldn't look at MP as a "stepping stone" into policing, its kindof like saying your gonna use Toronto Police as a stepping stone into the OPP. My biggest concern right now, if I want to become an MP, is that in two to three years hiring will slow down and it'll be nearly impossible to get in. I want to become an MP because in a way it combines two of the best professions in the world in my view, policework, and the military. As well I would like to do policework in a small community type of environment or in a rural area, which the Military Police gives me the oppurtunity to do.

Futuretrooper said:
From what alot of people tell me a person shouldn't look at MP as a "stepping stone" into policing, its kindof like saying your gonna use Toronto Police as a stepping stone into the OPP. My biggest concern right now, if I want to become an MP, is that in two to three years hiring will slow down and it'll be nearly impossible to get in. I want to become an MP because in a way it combines two of the best professions in the world in my view, policework, and the military. As well I would like to do policework in a small community type of environment or in a rural area, which the Military Police gives me the oppurtunity to do.
I agree with what you are saying ( I'll write this in non-internet for those who care). I was considering MP because it CAN give you the opportunity to travel all over the world and still be a police officer. I was told by the CF recruiter you will spend the beginning of your career in a base in Canada for 4, 5 years or more. This is understandable as you need experience before you are placed in another country. If you are using MP as a stepping stone, you will probably find yourself staying in Canada and then leaving after your contracted duty is done.

P.S. You are correct in saying what i wrote may be correct or false as it is only word of mouth. However, the life experiences you gain as MP is a large advantage when applying for a civ. force. I wasn't trying to say they use it as a lateral (sorry if thats the way it came across) but it is seen as a great experience simply because many of the skills gained in MP are transferrable.

Of course MP experience is transferrable and valuable when you would switch over to a civi. service and get out on the road, already being experienced in the duties of a police officer.  My point was that joining a police service as a stepping stone to another police service would not  be looked at favourably...not that you said you were going too, but nonetheless I wanted to point out what the general consensus tends to be with the MP profession.  Best of luck to you in your career.  Also, it's probably beneficial to practice your writing skills as much as possible, so when you become a police officer you won't have any qualms about writing your reports  ;)

Thanks MILPO  :D hehe. You as well. I have not decided what I would like to do with my life and my diploma. I am 19 and joining the reserves this summer, thats what i do know, oh and I want to travel  ;D

Well, I've heard that the reason the MP Trade is usually always looking for new recruits is due to the fact many leave after their three years is up for a civilian service. But in my own view the MP's offer more then your average civilian service. I believe that the MP's operate in every province, as well the MP's have several specialized units members can apply to. The MP's also have newer technology, and in some cases more advanced technology then their civilian counterparts [correct me if I'm wrong]. The fact that I get a job combining the military and law enforcement is great, it is were I would like to go once I am done all my post secondary.

Thanks MILPO  hehe. You as well. I have not decided what I would like to do with my life and my diploma. I am 19 and joining the reserves this summer, thats what i do know, oh and I want to travel

What are you getting into, if your going to BMQ in Wainwright during the summer I might meet you there.

While I can't speak for all across Canada, in my experience the vast majority of people who get out of the Branch after their first three years do not end up on a civilian force, at least not immediately.  Not saying that it doesn't happen but it certainly appears to be the exception rather than the rule.  MPs do get onto civilian services (obviously) but I would guess that in the vast majority of cases the selling point for an individual getting hired was the individual and not the fact they were a MP.  As an example, I personally know 5 MPs and 4 Cbt Arms pers who are now RCMP while I also know 4 MPs who have applied for RCMP over the past 3 years without making it.  Do not join as a MP with the sole intent being to gain experience to sweeten yuor resume for a civilian service as again, my experience has been these individuals have a rough go with both their time as a MP and their application process for the civilian service.

As for technology, I would say we are middle of the pack.  While we have gotten some great enhancements lately, most stuff we employ has already been adopted by several major services prior to us picking it up.

piper,

Just wondering, have you considered joining up in another trade and OT'ing to MP after 4 years?

Back