• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Ham Sandwich said:
TF-3-08 BG just got the go-ahead for non-issued lead bearing kit. The CSM delivered the policy personally on pde so we know it's credible. The only restrictions are that kit has to be brown/tan, able to accomodate the kit list and has to "work".

Excellent. All that TUAV Flight's been officially told so far is that non-issue pistol holsters are authorized. We don't fall under the BG, but this is still encouraging.

See, i have a feeling that it's a TF wide thing because the director of the Infantry corps visited us in Wainright and told us that authority to permit the use of non-issued kit lies with the TF RSM (not the BG RSM). So if we're allowed to wear it, it sounds like the TF RSM had a change of heart. Keep your ear to the ground, it may just be that it hasn't filtered down to you yet.

Not really. It's always been widely acknowledged that the issued TV isnt suited for the mission, and the BG has been trying to find a soloution for months. We've been told that the VP were trialling a few different models but i think the concern is that there aren't enough of them in theater to outfit everyone in the BG (let alone the TF), and that there was some concern that the VP were going to take them home with them (LOL!). This BG was never gloing to let us deploy with the issued TV.
As far as i can tell, this just sounds like a matter of the decision makers having tried to find a solution, running out of time, and then just resorting to the next best thing which is letting troops procure their own stuff (within reason).

Any guess if upcoming rotos will be allowed to use non issued rigs during work up as well as deployment?

popnfresh said:
Any guess if upcoming rotos will be allowed to use non issued rigs during work up as well as deployment?

;D

Do you really want a "guess"?  That could cover a lot of points, that would not be anywhere near fact, or even rumour.

Yeah, like i said, it appears that this latitude has been granted for lack of a better solution. It was believed that the Patricias were going to provide that solution via the new rigs they're trialling (hence the head shed held out this long before giving us the green light) but it didn't come in time. That tells me that the army's solution is coming, just not quick enough for TF-3-08. Expect the army to have sorted this out sometime in the near future.

Short answer: Don't hold your breath.

Well here at 2RCR I know the coy that is going in september has been told issued vest only. Also my platoon which is deploying july have been told from our DSM issued kit or else.

Gotta love it right?

Interesting to see the same unit avatars..

"On the bus, off the bus"?? We can't even standardize a single unit?

dan005e said:
Well here at 2RCR I know the coy that is going in september has been told issued vest only. Also my platoon which is deploying july have been told from our DSM issued kit or else.

Gotta love it right?

Make room for your incoming visors too ...  ;)

I believe it has something to do with 2RCR being....well 2RCR. I know that is no real explanation but that is the one I've been given.

We can get away with whatever boots we want, gloves, eyewear at times, but so far our own loadbearing gear is a no-no. We have been okayed for aftermarket holsters, patrol bags,  the pad kits and even mods to the tac vest. But we just dont seem to be able to ditch the damn tac vests. I'll make do with a W.I.M.P from CP gear and a triple mag pouch.

And yes Vern we have the posters for the new Visors. I'm pretty sure we are gonna get out the door before those get issued thank christ.

dan005e said:
And yes Vern we have the posters for the new Visors. I'm pretty sure we are gonna get out the door before those get issued thank christ.

Uhmmm nope. Theatre has already shipped them back here (well to Pet) to be issued to you all -- we're just awaiting yours to get in from there. As for The 2RCR thing -- you're augmenting ... it's not a Bn deployment -- keep fingers crossed for Mr. Sense to walk through the door shortly.

dan005e said:
We can get away with whatever ... eyewear at times, but so far our own loadbearing gear is a no-no.
I am surprised & disturbed that you can't select anything of your load carriage equipment, but your CoC is letting you pick your own PPE.  You might want to do some reading before you gamble with your eyes:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33365/post-686730.html#msg686730

dan005e said:
.... we have the posters for the new Visors. I'm pretty sure we are gonna get out the door before those get issued thank christ.
You might find this of interest too: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/33365/post-707416.html#msg707416

Out on ex guys, myself included, have been known to wear Oakleys in the field although it definatley seems to depend on the person in charge.  I like my M Frames they are definatley alot more comfortable and dont scratch to shit like the issue BEW. But I suppose once i deploy ill throw on the issue eyewear just to be safe.

for the BG, there are specific types of eyewear you're allowed to use. I couldn't recite the list but i know some ESS and Oakley models are on them. I guess it's not an arbitrary list either becuase they just pulled a certain model of wiley X off of the list being that they didnt meet a certain standard. Don't ask me what the standard is, i have no idea.

And in Wainright they actually handed out a whole bunch of glasses and goggles to crew comds, sect comds and air sentries - wiley x, desert locust, ESS crew goggles etc. They told us we'd have to select our favorite and whatever the consensus was would be what the BN distributed on general issue. Then they told us that wasn't going to happen and to just to keep the ones we liked, and give the others back so they could be handed out to others. I already has a set of ESS crew goggles, so i kept those ones. Now i've got a set with clear lenses and a set with dark lenses - no more swapping out lenses for me LOL.

for the BG, there are specific types of eyewear you're allowed to use. I couldn't recite the list but i know some ESS and Oakley models are on them. I guess it's not an arbitrary list either becuase they just pulled a certain model of wiley X off of the list being that they didnt meet a certain standard. Don't ask me what the standard is, i have no idea.

And in Wainright they actually handed out a whole bunch of glasses and goggles to crew comds, sect comds and air sentries - wiley x, desert locust, ESS crew goggles etc. They told us we'd have to select our favorite and whatever the consensus was would be what the BN distributed on general issue. Then they told us that wasn't going to happen and to just to keep the ones we liked, and give the others back so they could be handed out to others. I already has a set of ESS crew goggles, so i kept those ones. Now i've got a set with clear lenses and a set with dark lenses - no more swapping out lenses for me LOL.

Score one for the good guys. :salute:

Quote from: popnfresh on Yesterday at 22:05:46

Do you really want a "guess"?  That could cover a lot of points, that would not be anywhere near fact, or even rumour.

True, but...

I'll eat my beret if the guys in Petawawa arn't wearing non-issue load bearing gear en masse within the next 5 years. I havn't heard anything official of course, but I'm a betting man. Judgeing by the direction the army is moving, it's only a matter of time. ;)

dan005e said:
I believe it has something to do with 2RCR being....well 2RCR. I know that is no real explanation but that is the one I've been given.

We can get away with whatever boots we want, gloves, eyewear at times, but so far our own loadbearing gear is a no-no. We have been okayed for aftermarket holsters, patrol bags,  the pad kits and even mods to the tac vest. But we just dont seem to be able to ditch the damn tac vests. I'll make do with a W.I.M.P from CP gear and a triple mag pouch.

I'm never gonna understand this mentality that forcing soldiers to jerry rig shit to their existing kit is some how "more professional" looking, since that seems to be the prevailing reason behind this no non issued kit thing, then that soldier wearing something purpose built and designed for combat.

From what you've posted, your BG's list contains eyewear that was not tested

Ham Sandwich said:
...  in Wainright they actually handed out a whole bunch of glasses and goggles to crew comds, sect comds and air sentries - wiley x, desert locust, ESS crew goggles etc. ...
"They" is DLR.  No model of Wiley X was handed out for the trial. 

R031button said:
I'm never gonna understand this mentality that forcing soldiers to jerry rig shit to their existing kit is some how "more professional" looking, since that seems to be the prevailing reason behind this no non issued kit thing, then that soldier wearing something purpose built and designed for combat.

They don't force you to do anything and perhaps its because we do look like a bunch of pirates that they ban aftermarket chest rigs.

Back