• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian

FWIW, I asked a long time ago about the flag pin and was told that the poppy also represents the sacrifice made by our Allies, not just Canadians.

True or not, I don't know but it was good enough for me.

When and why did you stop wearing poppies on the head dress and move them to the tunic?

What is the first thing you do when you walk into a Mess, or a Legion? One removes their head-dress. By changing the location from the head-dress to the tunic, prevents it from "coming off" when you are remembering. At least that's how I was informed way back when the change came down.

When?  It might have been '02, I don't remember exactly.

Why?   Because the RSM said so.  Thats all I remember.  I didn't ask him why.   ;)

I think it was before that, I was still in Air Cadets, might have been about 10 or 12 years ago if my memory serves me right. Ditto on the second :p

Chapeski said:
I think it was before that, I was still in Air Cadets, might have been about 10 or 12 years ago if my memory serves me right. Ditto on the second :p

You're probably right on the when part.  It was probably earlier, but '02 was the first year I was with the Bde HQ, and thats when the sucking of knowledge and common sense began.

soccer08 said:
Also, is having the little Canadian flag pin in the centre of the poppy appropriate when wearing the poppy while in uniform?  I have emailed the Cpl. in charge of us new guys at the unit, but it is a "forces.ca" address so I am not sure when he will get back to me.

If anyone can point me to any regulations on this subject, that would be great (as long as they can be accessed via a regular computer).

http://www.legion.ca/Home/FAQ_e.cfm#PR

Can I attach the Poppy to clothing with another type of pin?

There have been many queries related to the wearing of the lapel Poppy, specifically as it relates to using a Canada flag pin or other such fastening device in the center of the Poppy.

It is the position of the Legion that the Poppy is the sacred symbol of Remembrance and should not be defaced in any way. No other pin, therefore, should be used to attach it to clothing.

While this should be the practice of all Legionnaires, it is recognized that the Legion cannot control its form of wear by the public. It is undoubtedly better to wear a Poppy with a Canadian flag in the center than not to wear a Poppy at all. The best that we can do is to encourage Legionnaires to wear it properly.

We are constantly seeking ways to improve the quality of the Lapel Poppy fastener and suggestions are always welcome. We have tried a protective sheath, which was placed over the end of the Poppy pin. There were 100,000 in circulation. The Legion branches were requested to report on the acceptance or rejection of this initiative and the vast majority reported that the sheath was rejected as Canadians preferred to receive the Poppy in its traditional form.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
We are constantly seeking ways to improve the quality of the Lapel Poppy fastener and suggestions are always welcome. We have tried a protective sheath, which was placed over the end of the Poppy pin. There were 100,000 in circulation. The Legion branches were requested to report on the acceptance or rejection of this initiative and the vast majority reported that the sheath was rejected as Canadians preferred to receive the Poppy in its traditional form. [/color]

Read:  Those areas probably lost money as the people who got these protective sheaths never lost their poppy and therefore didn't have to go out and buy a new one.  ;D

I've mastered keeping my poppy on.  No extra backing or pins required.  ^-^

When attaching your poppy, thread the pin through your lapel/ wherever you wear your poppy, and push it through so that it's exxposed.  Then pierce the poppy with the pin (don't believe there's any regulation about that) and push back through lapel etc.  Haven't lost one yet. But my 12 year old (who doesn't do this) goes through poppies like there's no tomorrow.

Lil_T

Some friends who bought poppies in Smiths Falls were shown the same technique by the Legionnaire who sold them to them.

Great - I had to figure that one out all by myself.  Wish they all did that.

Tis the season...

What do you all say to this?  It's what we wear where I work but I have heard some people say it's a "no go" and that the Legion doesn't like it (the theory that you can't lose poppies and buy more comes to mind):

uCq2r.jpeg

Looks like the way I where mine on my personal jacket or blazer. If we were allowed to wear it like that while in uniform, I would.

Bzzliteyr said:
What do you all say to this?  It's what we wear where I work but I have heard some people say it's a "no go" and that the Legion doesn't like it (the theory that you can't lose poppies and buy more comes to mind):
My  :2c: :  The Legion doesn't have to worry about your poppy falling off before an inspection, so pinning it in place makes sense to me.  How's your CoC with (what looks like) the bright metal outline around the black centre?

I've also seen civvies pin their poppies in place with little Canadian flags, but I can't see that flying in a military context.

milnews.ca said:
My  :2c: :  The Legion doesn't have to worry about your poppy falling off before an inspection, so pinning it in place makes sense to me.  How's your CoC with (what looks like) the bright metal outline around the black centre?

I've also seen civvies pin their poppies in place with little Canadian flags, but I can't see that flying in a military context.

Thought there was a directive on that ........ AFAIK Canada Flag is a no-go

milnews.ca said:

I've a small collection of black centers that I've glued to  brass thumbtacks. I use these with a clutch back only on my uniforms. I still loose a ton of poppies from my civilian clothes however.

milnews.ca said:

The only anecdotal evidence I have so far is from one officer who said the RSM didn't like the shiny parts so he took a black marker to subdue it...I haven't heard back from him but I saw him wearing his beret and boot laces this morning so I suppose it's all good?

Old Sweat said:
Lil_T

Some friends who bought poppies in Smiths Falls were shown the same technique by the Legionnaire who sold them to them.

I do the same thing when I'm out doing Poppy duty (as I will later this week) , especially when someone tells me that it's the second, third etc one they've recived. I lose a couple each year too, mind having a box to replenish from makes it easier ( and yes I toss money in each time  8)).

I'm aware what the RCL rules/stance are re modifying with flags etc, personally as  Legion member I find that petty. It's important one wears it and knows why they're wearing it nothing else matters.

One of the troops showed up with a bag of black thumb tacks and the clutch thingee from the back of ribbons, jump wings, etc.  Works great.

And he was smart enough to give one to the RSM, so there's no 'fashion issues.'    ;)

Back