• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian

Journeyman said:
.... And he was smart enough to give one to the RSM, so there's no 'fashion issues.'    ;)
Wise beyond his years - good one.

Journeyman said:
One of the troops showed up with a bag of black thumb tacks and the clutch thingee from the back of ribbons, jump wings, etc.  Works great.

And he was smart enough to give one to the RSM, so there's no 'fashion issues.'    ;)

See, I personally would rather see the shiny well made pin we have (that looks like the center of the poppy) than a boring black thumbtack but to each his own.

You don't see the thumbtack because it's smaller than the flowery-shaped black part of the pin and blends right in.

See? With budget cuts curtailing training, we can focus on these important things.    :nod:

Bzzliteyr said:
See, I personally would rather see the shiny well made pin we have (that looks like the center of the poppy) than a boring black thumbtack but to each his own.
Or you can give one to the RSM  ;D

Journeyman said:
You don't see the thumbtack because it's smaller than the flowery-shaped black part of the pin and blends right in.

See? With budget cuts curtailing training, we can focus on these important things.    :nod:

Ah, it was my understanding that they were simply using a black thumbtack in place of the poppy center.

They glue the poppy center to it?

No, just stick the tack through the same pin hole in the black and red parts of the poppy, put it through your rank slip-on, and put the clutch on the back.

I really hate doing this but for those in MARLANT (DIN msg):
http://ln6-hfx-q043300.halifax.mil.ca/messages/marlantgen/2012293000182.html
Specifically para 3
Sorry...
Pat

I have often thought of something more permanent as being a little more practicle. I think if the wearing of the poppy is remarketed, then sales would not slump. If you are volunteering for your Legion doing this, don't ask people if they will 'buy' a poppy, ask them if they would 'wear' one. Tell them what it supports as most people don't realize it. For those who "don't have any change", I used to keep a roll of quarters on me and if it cost me $10 each night I was outside Sobeys or Cambodian Tire, it was for a worthy cause and I had no issues with it.

Pat in Halifax said:
.... For those who "don't have any change", I used to keep a roll of quarters on me and if it cost me $10 each night I was outside Sobeys or Cambodian Tire, it was for a worthy cause and I had no issues with it.
Good one - especially if you tell them, "let me get one for you to wear - thank you."

All this talk of pins and clutches to hold the poppy on.  Just take the back of the pin, and with a gerber turn it into a fish hook.  Never lost one.

The Royal Canadian Legion Poppy
The red poppy is an emblem of the RCL and is used to commemorate Canadians who died in battle. CF members shall wear the poppy on all uniforms from the last Friday of October until Remembrance Day (November 11th) and are encouraged to wear it when attending any event whose main purpose is to commemorate Canadians who died in battle.

NOTE: The wearing of the poppy with the miniature Canadian flag pin as a means of securing the poppy to the uniform instead of the provided straight pin is not authorized for any CF uniform.

I glued a magnet between the black center, and the poppy.  I then use another one inside my blazer/jacket/shirt.  Will do the same with my wound stripe, so I don't have to sew it on my blazer.

Attached is a useful aide de memoire, that I got the above information in yellow.

dileas

tess

Why do we have to repeat what's already in this thread every year?

It's not rocket appliances.

recceguy said:
Why do we have to repeat what's already in this thread every year?

It's not rocket appliances.

Because we are all getting older, and the memories are not as sharp as they used to be. ;)

And FWIW, I wasn't aware that they had changed wearing of the poppy from the headdress to other parts of the uniform depending on the dress / garment being worn. (That was the new thing I learned today :nod: )

cupper said:
Because we are all getting older, and the memories are not as sharp as they used to be. ;)

And FWIW, I wasn't aware that they had changed wearing of the poppy from the headdress to other parts of the uniform depending on the dress / garment being worn. (That was the new thing I learned today :nod: )

Been like that for at least the past 12 years.....

We got sent a pic today, as in "this is how it's done," of some airforce guy wearing it on his DEU shirt pocket flap....but he also had a Commendation bar there too, rather than on the pocket itself.

:dunno:

NFLD Sapper said:
Been like that for at least the past 12 years.....

I was out about 10 years before that, and have been in the US for the past 10 years, and the one or two Remembrance Days I have been home for I never really noticed that the placement was changed. :dunno:

cupper said:
I was out about 10 years before that, and have been in the US for the past 10 years, and the one or two Remembrance Days I have been home for I never really noticed that the placement was changed. :dunno:

Ack. But I do notice the older vets still place it in headress though....

Journeyman said:
We got sent a pic today, as in "this is how it's done," of some airforce guy wearing it on his DEU shirt pocket flap....but he also had a Commendation bar there too, rather than on the pocket itself.

That could actually have been an "airforce gal" as (for whatever reason), females wear commendation bars on the pocket flap. That was actually a discussion item in the minutes of the Dress Committee meeting a few posts back.

Pat

That's 3 poppy "donation" boxes I've came across with "these are not free" wrote on the side in marker.
Really?how much is the required donation?

FYI I tweeted the following to the mayor of Calgary this morning (he has a great following on twitter):

"@nenshi Now that Hween is ovr can u remind ppl Remembrance day is next & not Xmas. Hold off on the lights &wear a poppy!"

It's been pushed for the past hour and is up to about 30 retweets... I figure every little bit helps in recognizing that.

Journeyman said:

If that's the same one we got sent (sounds like it) - it's a clarification of where females put the poppy if they have a commendation.  Females wear the Commendations on the pocket flap, hence the need for the clarification of where to put the poppy.  Are you sure it was a guy?  The picture I got was just the pocket flap itself.  If it was detached from the message and had no context it would look like it was wrong (if one assumed it was a "guy" not a female).

Back