• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The WTF News Files

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/can-t-make-this-stuff-up-ont-driver-charged-for-snowy-windshield-1.2744534

People like this need to have their driver's license taken away...

Looks like the astrophysicist woke up on the wrong side of the bed again...  ::)

Yahoo News
Prof Stephen Hawking Has More Bad News For Humanity: We’re About To Wipe Ourselves Out

Yahoo News
January 19, 2016
b180c966fdafa24f53a61758929ce856

Cheery physicist Professor Stephen Hawking says that mankind could be wiped out by our own creations within the next 100 years.

Answering audience questions at this year’s BBC Reith Lectures, he said that our rush to understand and improve life through science and technology could be humanity’s undoing.

He has previously suggested that colonising other planets will be the only way that the human race can survive, but he warns that we may lose Earth to some kind of major disaster before we have a chance to properly do so.

“Although the chance of a disaster to planet Earth in a given year may be quite low,” he explained, “it adds up over time, and becomes a near certainty in the next thousand or ten thousand years.

(...SNIPPED)

S.M.A. said:
Looks like the astrophysicist woke up on the wrong side of the bed again...  ::)

Yahoo News

Not sure if this belongs on this thread. Complex systems tend collapse very quickly, and global civilization definitely counts as complex system. You can get a nuclear exchange out of climate change quite easily. Just look at India and Pakistan's situation with water and extrapolate by 15-20 years.

Progressives vs science:

http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=58176

SCIENCE!!! “Personality is a capitalist construct” [Darleen Click]

I guess all those thousands of years prior to “capitalism” people just bumped around without personalities …

Dr Adam Perkins, a lecturer in the neurobiology of personality at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience at King’s College London. Like Chagnon, Perkins is a social scientist whose research findings pose a direct challenge to one of the central planks of left-wing ideology.

Over the past five years, he has accumulated a mass of evidence about the personalities of welfare claimants and concluded that individuals with aggressive, rule-breaking and anti-social tendencies — what he calls the ‘employment–resistant personality profile’ — are over-represented among benefit recipients. He also found that their children are likely to share those traits, which helps explain why poverty has a tendency to be passed down from one generation to the next. […]

[T]o the progressive left, Perkins’s research is sacrilege. It runs counter to the anti-capitalist narrative that portrays the ever-expanding underclass as ‘victims’ whose only sin is to be born on the wrong side of the tracks. We’re back to the myth of the noble savage.

Perkins published his findings last November in a book called The Welfare Trait (Palgrave Macmillan, £19.99), but you won’t have heard about it or seen it reviewed in any UK newspaper anywhere because his research has been judged to be off limits by the self-appointed guardians of the academic establishment and their outriders in the media. A senior editor of Nature, one of the leading academic journals, refused to consider it for review because she regards scientific research into the personalities of the long-term unemployed as ‘unethical’, and a sociology professor whom the publishers had asked to peer-review the book refused to do so on the grounds that any book linking benefit dependency to personality must be nonsense because personality is a ‘capitalist construct’.

Colleagues with whom Perkins had collaborated in the past warned him off publication, worried about being associated with such a heretic; and a powerful American professor was so enraged by his conclusions that he lobbied for him to be banned from the conference circuit.

Actual scientists who disagree would challenge Dr Perkins, review his work, produce their own and engage in public debate.

But no. He is to be shunned, shut up and shut down.

Leftism is a jealous religion and even science takes a secondary role. The results are known and only research to confirm those results is to be allowed.

Freedom of scientific pursuit is as valuable to members of the Left as is freedom of speech and due process.
- See more at: http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=58176#sthash.5uhnJOjv.dpuf

Some people like to think of their bodies as a work of art and cover themselves in tattoos.

Some people are just candidates for future Darwin Awards:

https://www.facebook.com/69video/videos/1045686825498815/

Delorian coming back from the grave, with a new commercial to boot:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/videos/a28101/heres-the-first-new-delorean-commercial-since-1982/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=78&v=HjJF5u0Ii_4

Don't tell me the secret ingredient to McDonald's special Big Mac sauce is EMBALMING FLUID?  ;D

Yahoo News

Woman Keeps McDonald’s Happy Meal Untouched For Six Years – And This Is The Shocking Result

Yahoo News
February 8, 2016

A mum claims to have conducted an experiment where she kept a McDonald’s Happy Meal for SIX years – just to see if it would decompose.

Jennifer Lovdahl, from Alaska, in the U.S., posted a status on Facebook about a meal she bought from the fast food chain back in 2010.

She said: “It’s been 6 years since I bought this “Happy Meal” at McDonald’s. It’s been sitting at our office this whole time.”

(...SNIPPED)

S.M.A. said:
Don't tell me the secret ingredient to McDonald's special Big Mac sauce is EMBALMING FLUID?  ;D

Yahoo News
Saw the same sort of thing in "Supersize Me", with the McD's fries seeing no appreciable change over a LOT of months - maybe the embalming fluid's in the fry oil?

Why? Why do people think that this is something to do? Way too much unproductive time on their hands, I guess.

:facepalm:

Lets hope the Young Dauphin, Katherine Wynn or Rachel Notley aren't reading this:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/cam-newton-super-bowl-taxes#

Cam Newton now owes the state of California tons of money after the Super Bowl
By: Luke Kerr-Dineen | February 7, 2016 12:31 pm     

Being an accountant for a professional athlete must be a thankless task — well, apart from all the money they must make from their multimillionaire clients. Let’s clarify: in the spending-lots-of-time-doing-math department, it must be a thankless task. That’s obviously not much of a consolation for professional athletes when that tax bill when it comes rolling in but that is, of course, part of the deal.

Forbes crunched the numbers ahead of Sunday’s Super Bowl and calculated how much Cam Newton would have to pay of his bonus money regardless of how the game turns out in California, which boasts some of the highest tax rates in the nation (This exact issue even prompted a comment from Golfer Phil Mickelson about it in 2013).

According to Forbes:

Win on Sunday, and Newton will pay California a total of $159,560 in taxes in 2016. Lose, and he will pay $159,200, based on an income reduction of $51,000.

It continues:

The result: Newton will pay California 99.6% of his Super Bowl earnings if the Panthers win. Losing means his effective tax rate will be a whopping 198.8%. Oh yeah, he will also pay the IRS 40.5% on his earnings.

From whom did she learn to criticize barbers, Kim Jong Un?

Yahoo News

Female Customer Unhappy With Haircut 'Goes Back To Shoot Barber’
Yahoo News
February 15, 2016

A woman who was angry about her haircut is alleged to have returned to the barbers shortly after and attempted to open fire – only for her gun to jam.

Adrian Blanche Swain is reported to have walked back into a salon an hour after a trim, brandishing a firearm.

The incident happened in a San Diego, California, hairdressers – but the weapon malfunctioned and she was forced to the floor.

(...SNIPPED)

WonderiNG if this should be in the daily things to be afraid of thread?  8)

DRUNK monkey grabs foot-long kitchen knife and chases after men at Brazilian bar after drinking leftover rum... but leaves the women alone

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3451187/Drunk-monkey-grabs-foot-long-kitchen-knife-chases-men-Brazilian-bar-drinking-leftover-rum-leaves-women-alone.html#ixzz40XwGpJTL
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3451187/Drunk-monkey-grabs-foot-long-kitchen-knife-chases-men-Brazilian-bar-drinking-leftover-rum-leaves-women-alone.html

jollyjacktar said:
Sounds like a Bosn on a run ashore...
You mean the bit about "chases after men at Brazilian bar after drinking leftover rum... but leaves the women alone"?  :whistle:

Thucydides said:
Progressives vs science:

http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=58176

Funny, where I work I see an inordinate number of benefits claimants. I can not disagree that many (most) display traits that are not compatible with long term employment. That being said, I tend to see people at their worst, so I would temper my observations to state that I probably only see a single sample of the population. I typically don't see the hard working poor who just want to do better for their children.

What a horrible way to die; when too much selfies is too much!

Yahoo News

Baby Dolphin Dies After Tourists Pass It Around For Selfies
[Yahoo News]

February 18, 2016

A rare baby dolphin has died on the beach after selfish tourists pulled it from the ocean so they could take selfies with it.

Shocking footage from Santa Teresita beach in Buenos Aires, Argentina, shows the body of the marine mammal lying motionless on the floor as dozens of people surround it.

The Franciscana dolphin had been passed around between sun worshippers while they took out their phones and posed for pictures

(...SNIPPED)

Let's hope that our Federal Government file storage procedures are a little more robust.

Best laid plans: mice delay Brussels tunnel repairs by eating construction outlines
Original drawings for crumbling road tunnels in congested city have been destroyed, apparently by hungry rodents

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/18/mice-delay-brussels-tunnel-repairs-by-eating-construction-outlines

Delays to repairs intended to ease traffic chaos in Brussels have been blamed on hungry mice, who have apparently eaten the construction plans.

EU leaders gathering for a summit on Thursday to deal with the refugee crisis and British threats to leave the union will find Brussels struggling to cope with repeated closures of key road tunnels, caused by crumbling concrete and years of decay.

The Belgian capital’s regional parliament has been told that repairs are being held up because the original construction plans have been destroyed – apparently eaten by rodents.

The tunnels provide vital routes across what is often described as Europe’s most congested city. But, for decades, the construction plans were stored in the pillars of a motorway bridge, for want of space elsewhere.

“They may have been eaten by mice,” the former head of the city’s infrastructure agency told city officials on Wednesday.

The state of the roads in the city of 1.2 million people, home to the EU and Nato headquarters, has become a hot political issue in Belgium, with an estimated bill of €1bn (£780m) to repair all the tunnels.

I hope he's not related to Don Cherry...

Yahoo Daily Buzz

Man spotted strolling naked through Nashville Airport
Lia Grainger
The Daily Buzz
February 24, 2016

Talk about packing light.

A man was arrested in Nashville on Sunday for strolling around the airport completely naked.

The man, later identified as 53-year-old Eric Cherry, shed his clothing in the parking lot and then entered the airport unhindered by his garb. A traveller by the name of Tod Brilliant was there, and told the New York Daily News, “I turned my head and I saw some creamy white thighs and ankles and I said, ‘That’s a naked man.’ ”

(...SNIPPED)

Back