• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not (various polling, etc.)

Not that I'm the voting police (unless it's mariomike) but you keep mentioning probably voting CPC. It sort of seems like you're waiting for a reason to not vote for them?

Are you still on the fence because of policies or?

It’s not the policies because, quite frankly, I haven’t heard much from him policy-wise. PP is very cogent when he speaks about affordability and housing. I wish he would put some flesh on the bones of that stuff rather than trying to appeal to the small percentage of voters who voted PPC the last time. There’s more votes up for grabs in the places that count in the former than the latter.

And if he does decide to take the party to PPC Lite, I’ll probably stay home on election day. I live on a pretty solid Liberal riding, so my vote won’t count for much anyway, but the CPC did win here once when the Liberals collapsed under Ignatieff. PP has to ask himself if he wants to take advantage of a Liberal collapse, or if he wants to motivate the left and far-left to vote Liberal. If Trudeau’s attacks on the Tories are believable by soft NDP voters, they will flock to the Liberals. IMHO, PP needs to make those attacks unbelievable, making NDP voters feel safe to vote NDP.

Not that I'm the voting police (unless it's mariomike) but you keep mentioning probably voting CPC. It sort of seems like you're waiting for a reason to not vote for them?
He, myself, and others have to "keep mentioning" our conservative voting records/intent etc. because there's an increasingly vocal element to this discussion that will scream that you're a liberal JT supporter if you won't join the crowd in licking PP's shit and declaring it chocolate.

He, myself, and others have to "keep mentioning" our conservative voting records/intent etc. because there's an increasingly vocal element to this discussion that will scream that you're a liberal JT supporter if you won't join the crowd in licking PP's shit and declaring it chocolate.
This 100%.

This 100%.

People are screaming at you here? Like who?

I've seen people here mention they voted Liberal and no one gave then a hard time.

It’s not the policies because, quite frankly, I haven’t heard much from him policy-wise. PP is very cogent when he speaks about affordability and housing. I wish he would put some flesh on the bones of that stuff rather than trying to appeal to the small percentage of voters who voted PPC the last time. There’s more votes up for grabs in the places that count in the former than the latter.
Thanks for the response. Affordability and housing do seem like key issues. Maybe Trudeaus supporters want to gamble another 8 years and see if prices will come down. Young people will have to living at home that's all.

Appealing to the PPC seems like a great idea, might bring him into majority territory.

... Appealing to the PPC seems like a great idea, might bring him into majority territory.
Could also nudge some less-than-fully-PPC-ish voters away from the party, too - maybe more than it'll attract? We'll have to see how it plays out.

It’s not the policies because, quite frankly, I haven’t heard much from him policy-wise.
Probably because it's not an election yet, and releasing it this early would allow counterpoint policies to formed, or parts of it to be stolen.

Remember, last election the Liberals waited until everyone else released their platform to specifically criticize their policies instead of coming up with a valid platform of their own, and stole the Conservatives' housing strategy.

Affordability and housing do seem like key issues. Maybe Trudeaus supporters want to gamble another 8 years and see if prices will come down. Young people will have to living at home that's all.

Appealing to the PPC seems like a great idea, might bring him into majority territory.
I hope they run the numbers on this first before betting the farm.

Polling indicates there's a far larger portion of Blue Grits looking to have a modest nudge to the right than the votes coming from the PPC crowd.

The second the SOCON/GOP North posturing happens, a lot of those Blue Grits move back to the Red side of the fence. Fiscal policy be damned.

Probably because it's not an election yet, and releasing it this early would allow counterpoint policies to formed, or parts of it to be stolen.

Remember, last election the Liberals waited until everyone else released their platform to specifically criticize their policies instead of coming up with a valid platform of their own, and stole the Conservatives' housing strategy.

The Policy Convention is set for Sept. while their resolutions and declarations might not become electoral promises it will be the document that dictates their vision and plan.

People are screaming at you here? Like who?

I've seen people here mention they voted Liberal and no one gave then a hard time.
Do I have to copy and paste all the attacks of being a JT supporter here for daring to suggest that the emperor is naked? It’s the reason I brought up the cult-like behaviour in the first place.

Again, not if it causes the CPC to lose more votes in the ridings they need to win to form government.

Purity tests are what is making politics so toxic.

Do I have to copy and paste all the attacks of being a JT supporter here for daring to suggest that the emperor is naked?
It's my fault then for taking issue with hyperbole (again). No one is screaming at you or anyone else, just attacking your views/choices. People aren't even "yelling" in caps.

Do I have to copy and paste all the attacks of being a JT supporter here for daring to suggest that the emperor is naked? It’s the reason I brought up the cult-like behaviour in the first place.
Have you promoted Poilievre to Emperor?

We all thought that Trudeau was our current Emperor? 🤷🏻‍♂️

People whose vote is going to hinge on "housing affordability" ought to be asking what the federal government is doing now and what it could reasonably be doing differently. Aside from throttling immigration and moving major federal workplaces out of cities, the practical answer is "not much".

Where the federal government can make an impact in Canadians' lives is being fiscally responsible and fixing the services which are supposed to be "universal" so that people can reliably access those services.

Another thing they can do is build more base housing and provide it to members as a benefit. That would relieve some strain on local markets around bases.

I hope they run the numbers on this first before betting the farm.

Polling indicates there's a far larger portion of Blue Grits looking to have a modest nudge to the right than the votes coming from the PPC crowd.

The second the SOCON/GOP North posturing happens, a lot of those Blue Grits move back to the Red side of the fence. Fiscal policy be damned.

Does it really matter? Given that the history of the last few elections is "The Hidden Agenda". Apparently that is really scary.

When it comes to campaign time both sides will be picking flyshit from pepper and amplifying the message to suit the polls. I fully expect the governing party to do what they have been doing since at least the Manning era.

The governing party line on Stanfield and Clark was just that they were incompetent - Stanfield apparently couldn't even catch a football

1692546113746.png

Again, not if it causes the CPC to lose more votes in the ridings they need to win to form government.

Purity tests are what is making politics so toxic.

What I like about this forum is that there many people with diverse opinions here. You can state you opinion without being faced with emotional vitriol responses. You will get into heated discussions and people who will disagree and demand substantiation but this on par for living in civilized and democratic society.

I lived in a heavily NDP/Liberal riding. My vote will not go to them simply because I don't like their policies (Big brother mentality, spending beyond their means, naive foreign policies, realistic national security or lack there of policies). I don't want the gov't putting their foot inside what I consider my personal affairs and I like a smaller less intrusive approach to governing.

As for for PP, I personally dislike his whining voice and prefer to read his statements. There several things that he said that I raised my eyebrows (bitcoin, Bank of Canada) . As the leader of the Con Party he has not made any major policy statements yet, but at least I have options (i.e. The People's Party) for the next election if I don't like what he says. If the Liberal Party make a move towards the right of centre I might consider them.

Does it really matter? Given that the history of the last few elections is "The Hidden Agenda". Apparently that is really scary.

When it comes to campaign time both sides will be picking flyshit from pepper and amplifying the message to suit the polls. I fully expect the governing party to do what they have been doing since at least the Manning era.
If you know the road ahead is mined, do you harden the vehicle and plan for 5Cs or do you divert course and avoid the mines entirely?

Hard to give credence to the "Hidden Agenda" line when you're transparent in your stance.

Hell I'll write the Tweet even:

"A CPC government will make life better for Canadians. ALL Canadians. We will not open the debate on abortion, on +2SLGBTQ2IA issues, orreligious freedoms. Period. We plan to bring us out of this economic turbulence with sound fiscal policy and investment; not off the backs of our citizens. We have seen that division and identity politics has crippled our nation these past 8 years. It stops here and it stops with the CPC."

Back