• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not (various polling, etc.)

... the Liberals are taking all the blame, helping progress the NDPs goals ...
I see the first bit, but I don't know how much credit the NDP is getting for making Team Red do what it's doing.

As the impact of new programs without new funding increases, the parties responsible may not want credit. The deterioration of existing services and inability of people to "universally" access that which they expect to can all be laid at the parties' feet - dollars are fungible.

As the impact of new programs without new funding increases, the parties responsible may not want credit. The deterioration of existing services and inability of people to "universally" access that which they expect to can all be laid at the parties' feet - dollars are fungible.
Despite the huge increase in the federal "civil" service.....

Haggis: An opinion piece in the G&M is recommending an immediate and full handgun ban.

Near the end of the podcast, speaking re handgun smuggling, he stated that Canada Post will not allow packages in transit to be opened for inspection by Border Security. Thus gun smugglers do not use FedX/UPS.

Go to this podcast 27 Aug: Our occasional hit with Blacklock's Reporter's executive editor (political humourist/satirist), Tom Korski, on the week's goings-on in the nation's capital.

Guest: Tom Korski. Executive Editor, Blacklock’s Reporter.

Near the end of the podcast, speaking re handgun smuggling, he stated that Canada Post will not allow packages in transit to be opened for inspection by Border Security.
I have first hand knowledge of how the international mail centres work and I've examined many packages for firearms and firearms components, I call BS on his assertion. Canada Post has no say on what international mail CBSA examines.

Does that mean nothing gets by CBSA? Of course not. Like evey other transit mode it a competition between resources volume and customer service. And, there is the ever present threat of internal conspiracies.

I have first hand knowledge of how the international mail centres work and I've examined many packages for firearms and firearms components, I call BS on his assertion. Canada Post has no say on what international mail CBSA examines.

Does that mean nothing gets by CBSA? Of course not. Like evey other transit mode it a competition between resources volume and customer service. And, there is the ever present threat of internal conspiracies.

Do they even need to open the packages?

Do they even need to open the packages?
Yes.

The Customs Act states:

99(1) An officer may:
  • (b) at any time up to the time of release, examine any mail that has been imported and, subject to this section, open or cause to be opened any such mail that the officer suspects on reasonable grounds contains any goods referred to in the Customs Tariff, or any goods the importation of which is prohibited, controlled or regulated under any other Act of Parliament, and take samples of anything contained in such mail in reasonable amounts;
Not everyone is honest and not everything is properly declared. "Solvent trap" suppressors are a perfect example.

Yes.

The Customs Act states:

99(1) An officer may:
  • (b) at any time up to the time of release, examine any mail that has been imported and, subject to this section, open or cause to be opened any such mail that the officer suspects on reasonable grounds contains any goods referred to in the Customs Tariff, or any goods the importation of which is prohibited, controlled or regulated under any other Act of Parliament, and take samples of anything contained in such mail in reasonable amounts;
Not everyone is honest and not everything is properly declared. "Solvent trap" suppressors are a perfect example.

I guess I was thinking that x-rays might solve a lot of the problems and minimize the number of packages that needed to be opened for physical inspection.

I guess I was thinking that x-rays might solve a lot of the problems and minimize the number of packages that needed to be opened for physical inspection.
Again, using solvent traps as an example, a hands on examination could be required to determine if the item is exactly what it's supposed to be. There are also a myriad of methods used to try to defeat x-ray technology. A Google search for "concealment methods for smuggling" will shock you.

Again, using solvent traps as an example, a hands on examination could be required to determine if the item is exactly what it's supposed to be. There are also a myriad of methods used to try to defeat x-ray technology. A Google search for "concealment methods for smuggling" will shock you.
Will that search also set off any pings somewhere? Asking for a friend.

Also, if police have grounds to believe that contraband like drugs, firearms components, etc are being smuggled by mail, we can get a warrant to intercept that, search it, seize it, or potentially do a 'controlled delivery' of the goods to the intended recipient, along with other investigative techniques such as GPS trackers, undercover officers, etc. Mail has serious legal protections, but is not sancrosanct from criminal investigation. I've gotten a General Warrant before to examine mail in the course of post.

"Solvent trap"

Readers Digest version, if you can. If not I understand.

Well if he won’t listen to voters, perhaps he’ll listen to toddlers and teenagers? 🤷🏻‍♂️
You know just as well as I do that toxic, narcissistic leaders don't "listen" to anyone that advise them; they only look to hear their own thoughts and opinions coming out of their own mouths.

Most of my eldest kids peer group have zero hope, and are dreading graduating next year because everything is now unattainable for them: affordable schooling, housing, or being able to afford food.

You know just as well as I do that toxic, narcissistic leaders don't "listen" to anyone that advise them; they only look to hear their own thoughts and opinions coming out of their own mouths.

Most of my eldest kids peer group have zero hope, and are dreading graduating next year because everything is now unattainable for them: affordable schooling, housing, or being able to afford food.
Local community college, Mechanical Engineering Technician or Electrical Engineering Technician programs. Tuition won't be that high, and I can guarantee they will be able to find a job in the high 20s starting moving into the 30s and 40s as they earn their tickets.

The road to money at this point isn't university, nor is it generally in the large cities. Its in the trades and in the areas people don't desire as much to live in. It means some hard physical work and serious problem solving skills.

Obviously that can be a serious life decision but basically everyone I know has made it. My parents came here for better opportunities. My grandparents came here for better opportunities. We all moved to make life better. Might be time for the younger generation to make the same hard decision to get ahead.

The road to money at this point isn't university, nor is it generally in the large cities. Its in the trades and in the areas people don't desire as much to live in. It means some hard physical work and serious problem solving skills.

It's primarily the distance to the nearest cactus club or coffee joint.

Back