• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Veterans License Plates

The danger in making distinctions between who is and isn't a veteran is you end up catering to the Sven Robinson / lefty crew that believe Canada should only have 'Peacekeepers', and not combat soldiers.  If you believe that the only studs worthy of adulation are the boys that fought on Juno beach or other such bloody actions, then you are denying the fact that Canada sends our soldiers places because they are willing to kill and die for us, for our foreign policy and for others.  Everyone here would agree that to be an effective peacekeeper you have to be combat ready.  By saying there are no veterans other than those who served in WW2, Korea, etc. you are agreeing with Sven and gang and saying that we are not soldiers, that we are mere peacekeepers.  That we really aren't trained killers, we are policemen. 

If you don a uniform, you should do so with the full understanding that you could be ordered to go to your death or have to kill someone you do not know.  We don't carry around guns for looks after all.

Nothing wrong with honouring a guy that chose to serve his country by driving a truck around, or by cooking grub on a ship.  Little bit of pride never hurt anyone.

Michael Dorosh said:
Would he be "entitled" to a veteran's plate?   I think so.

Yes he would.   My only quibble was the "I saw more fire in my UN Tour then a WWII vet".   When I took exception to that, the "get around" was offered in that some UN guy saw more "fire" than a WWII rear-ech type, which I just thought was a foolish statement - if you've served in the Balkans to any capacity, there is no need to compare your penis size with a 80-year old truck driver from 5th Armoured Division.

I agree with UberCree; a guy serving for 5 years in Europe during WWII, some kid who was a reservist and spent his summer in some Balkan ******* getting shelled every few days, or some clerk who for 20 years processed recruits getting prepared to fight the Soviets have all earned the claim to "Veteran" status.   I'll just wait until I'm 65 before I throw my plate on!   :)

Infanteer, concurr.... I'm waiting till I decide to hang it up and hit the 19th hole.

Cheers!

That's how I'm playing it: I'll become a vet (get my plate) when I've taken my pension (I won't wait to 65 - might not make it there). I don't grudge anyone who chooses to do it now though - you've earned it.

Acorn

Acorn said:
That's how I'm playing it: I'll become a vet (get my plate) when I've taken my pension (I won't wait to 65 - might not make it there). I don't grudge anyone who chooses to do it now though - you've earned it.

Acorn

Ug, at 34 I am in the same boat as you, already collect a veterans pension, should think about getting the plate...

dileas

tess

Infanteer,

I agree that was my point just not the wait till 65 once your out you deserve. Your comment detailed below appears to respond to my post but you quated me wrong.
{ "I saw more fire in my UN Tour then a WWII vet".  (I never said that) When I took exception to that, the "get around" was offered in that some UN guy saw more "fire" than a WWII rear-ech type, which I just thought was a foolish statement}
Furthermore there was no get around about rear ech the point still stands it was about combat line guys not the ech the ech part was to try and define what you were getting at. The point still stands about a UN/NATO soldier may have seen more fire than a WW2 vet in the line(the use of may have was not to paint a broad brush I should change that to some did!

I have been an Autoplan broker in BC for quite a few years now. Veterans plates have been available in BC since 2004, and the criteria for qualification is, in my opinion, laughable. One only has to have been MOC qualified(any trade), and be honourably discharged. Period. The application form can be viewed at www.icbc.com. I have to agree with Mark C (fellow 2422  and B Coy C Scot R Alumni), I too cringe seeing obese, 30 something former service battalion cooks tooling around in their 89 Hyundai Excels with Vet plates on.

in asymetrical operations, medics, drivers, cooks, clerks and mechanics are in pretty much as deeply into it as anyone else... so what do you suggest is the prerequisite for being a veteran?... or not being a veteran?
Just cause the fella is overweight now does not mean he was that way while he served.... where do you draw the line...
does he have to pass inspection - short hair, still fit into his old service uniform? Letter from his RSM?...

My point is that the criteria for qualifying for a vet plate are far too broad, essentially anyone who ever wore a uniform qualifies. It would be interesting to hear the opinions of some real veterans on this subject. As for your negative, whatever. Mine was a statement of opinion, not a pronouncement of fact, your approval is neither sought nor particularly important.

long haired civvy(well said:
It would be interesting to hear the opinions of some real veterans on this subject.

Please define what is a "Real Veteran", so those that are may throw in some input.

dileas

tess

essentially anyone who ever wore a uniform qualifies.

And the problem with that would be?

It would be interesting to hear the opinions of some real veterans on this subject.

There are many on this board and hope they respond.  Personally, I hope to see many vet plates issued to current and former CF members.

Mine was a statement of opinion, not a pronouncement of fact, your approval is neither sought nor particularly important.

Tone, tone, tone.  You are new here, best establish yourself as a contributor before you are branded an internet troll.

Well, if the 2 of you are satisfied with the Provincial Motor Vehicle Dept. definition of what a veteran is, who am I argue. Personally, I would be pretty sheepish pulling up to a stop light with veteran plates on , with my Cyprus tour under my belt, next to some old dude who fought through the Hitler Line, or Kapyong.

Then don't apply for one, wouldn't want you to be embarrased.

Well thats it, the experiments over.
Goodbye Beltfedpaul/Hatless Dancer....can't say it was fun.

Ha... I'm a veteran....As you can see by my neg tags Ive survived heavy fire here on this board! ;D

Can I put up an Army.ca plate?

Now, really, that just....hurts...so much....I'm.... I don't... Waaaaahhhh... by golly you're right, my life is just a pointless sham, because, God knows, if an insurance salesman can look down on me, I must be truly worthless... goodbye, cruel world.... ::)

Interesting suggestion.  Perhaps we can get some through the "Kit Shop"  - Vanity plates for places like Alberta, Quebec, PEI, and then Plate holders for those other provinces, besides NWT.

long haired civvy(well said:
23 years as a Cpl? Thats embarrasing my friend...............

You know what's really embarassing? Knowing that a few of the people who came before me into this outfit were just plain idiots. Like it or not, the days of the infantry figthing as they did in 1917 are long over.

My uncle joined in 1939-retired from the Reg F (RCD) in 1968 as a PTE. Things like that were done in those days. Back when the good old boys refused promotions because they liked being the ones out getting the job done. You should take your head out of your ass.

Build yourself a little bridge and, please, get the heLL over it. You are trolling for a scrap, and your insults do nothing to endear me to you. Oh yes I know, you care not. That's OK my dear, the CF is doing absolutely fine without you or the likes of you. Thanks for getting out!!

Kat Stevens said:
Now, really, that just....hurts...so much....I'm.... I don't... Waaaaahhhh... by golly you're right, my life is just a pointless sham, because, God knows, if an insurance salesman can look down on me, I must be truly worthless... goodbye, cruel world.... ::)

Apparently you don't need any rope Kat, it would seem the long haired civvie just stole yours and hung himself with it. Not such a big loss I dare say!!

Back