• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Veterans License Plates

...or as I like to say to justify my pay, " I sure don't get paid for what I do, I get paid for what I might have to do."

I think one can apply that to anyone who has worn the uniform.......

I am a 'not before I am retired, and maybe not even after' kind of guy.  If you loan your car out, it can put the guy on the spot. Conversely, if I get one now, folks might say "Look at the bald 50 year old driving his WW2 vet daddy's car."

Whatever.

Now, about the link Teddy Ruxpin gave us, what the heck is the Alabama State Defence Force?  Is that a typo?  Did they mean 'Alberta State Defence Force'?

;D

(Typed in Wainwright)

Tom

TCBF said:
I am a 'not before I am retired, and maybe not even after' kind of guy.  

Tom, I hear ya!

My kids wanted to get me one when I bought my new truck right after my last tour.  I said "No, thanks, let's wait until I retire."  I already have a distinctive plate, my Amateur Radio callsign.  That's enough for now.

Haggis said:
I already have a distinctive plate, my Amateur Radio callsign.   That's enough for now.

So you're the guy cruising around with the "Maverick" callsign on your plate.... ;D

Infanteer said:
So you're the guy cruising around with the "Maverick" callsign on your plate.... ;D

Yep, and I wear my aviators day and night.  So you'd better stay off the sidewalk!

And now for my opinion (Tess, Michael, and all other "Al haters" may as well 'demote' me right now... ;)): In my mind, veteran is something you become, like retired or a widow(er). Can't be retired while you still work, can't be widowed while you're married. Shouldn't be a veteran until you're out of the service. I don't look at the Veteran's plate as something that is designed to increase our (the CF) visibility to the public. It is meant to acknowledge the service you gave to the country. What we have accomplished, particularly in areas with the big bases, is diluted the meaning of what a veteran is to the civilians in the local communities. When one sees a veterans plate, it should mean something.

Here's a hypothetical question for those that say all CF members (that are eligible) should put the plates on their car: if the plates give you some special sort of priviledge, like special parking rights (like handicapped people or expectant mothers), would you use it for that gain? If I recall correctly, Nova Scotia (or maybe just Halifax) is allowing pers with Veterans plates free parking. Free parking is one thing, but for a 20 year old able bodied "veteran" to take a premium parking spot (near the entrance to a mall entrance, or by a hospital entrance, for example) would be another, at the expense perhaps of an 85 year old WWII Veteran, who would now have to walk a few hundred meters. And don't tell me that people wouldn't. I see young people parking in handicapped parking spots now because they are to lazy to walk the extra 20 meters.

If they wanted a means of increasing visibility, or pride, in the CF, they should have created CF plates, along the lines of the "conservation" plates here in NB, or the sports teams one's in Ontario. That way ANYONE who supports the CF that wants the plate can get one.

And I disagree with the use of the poppy for use on the plates. In my mind, the idea of the poppy is to be used to remember those that made the supreme sacrifice, for their families, their buddies, and ultimately their country. I think that a CF crest should have been used, not unlike the crest that firefighters use on their plates. Nova Scotia uses a Canada flag (for veterans), which I am more partial to for serving pers, but I have heard tell that a lot of people don't like that, because anybody who supports Canada should be allowed. We will never make everyone happy. Going back to one of my earlier points, if they produced plates for anybody who wanted to support those that died or were wounded in service of our country (i.e to raise funds to help look after those that are in Veterans hospitals), then I think the poppy should be used for that. But I personally am very uncomfortable with placing myself in the same lofty category with those that did pay the ultimate sacrifice. Hence that is why I do not have the plate on my car.

Al

Allan, I agree with you on both major points.

A person becomes a veteran when they give up their "serving" status.  The French term ancien seems much more accurate in this respect.

The poppy is indeed the symbol of Remembrance for those who gave their lives.  Edward Campbell enunciated this quite well in another thread.  Canada needs to separate out "Veterans Day" and "Remembrance Day" and to pick a new symbol for the ancien.  Let the poppy stay with the names that are engraved upon the cenotaph in the center of my town.

Cheers,
Infanteer

I agree also. Having a "CF" plate would be a great solution to acknowledge serving members and their families. I know that here, they have Fire Fighter plates, police plates, M of H plates, purple heart plates....

Just tought I should make a note that Quebec has announced that they will have a veterans plate as of Jan 1st 2006 in recognition of the year of the veteran and 60 year anniversary of WWII.

I was wondering if it is common for serving members to have a veteran's licence pate? 

I myself am ex army and have been out of the service for many years.  After my release, the Veteran's plate came to Alberta.  I got one when it was offered.  Not only am I proud to have served, it also has a few perks (like free meter parking in Lethbridge).

Anyway, I have started the process of getting back into the forces (go ahead and take a min to laugh at me).  Just like everyone else, I started to ponder how it might be, the logistics involved, possible postings, etc.  I also got wondering if it might be in my best interest to get some “regular” plates on my vehicles before I get back in.  Or perhaps I should say “if” I get back in.  LOL

Gimli said:
I was wondering if it is common for serving members to have a veteran's licence pate? 

I myself am ex army and have been out of the service for many years.  After my release, the Veteran's plate came to Alberta.  I got one when it was offered.  Not only am I proud to have served, it also has a few perks (like free meter parking in Lethbridge).

Anyway, I have started the process of getting back into the forces (go ahead and take a min to laugh at me).  Just like everyone else, I started to ponder how it might be, the logistics involved, possible postings, etc.  I also got wondering if it might be in my best interest to get some “regular” plates on my vehicles before I get back in.  Or perhaps I should say “if” I get back in.  LOL

It is quite common for serving members to have the Veteran plates.  I do not have them, but know many members who do, and have seen quite a few in the parking lot of the Dockyard in Halifax.

I see quite a few where I am posted as well, and have them myself and on both my vehicles.  Not many years ago, I was more of the opinion that it wasn't 'right' for serving members to have them until they retired or had a multiple tour medals or something like that;  now I've changed my thinking.  We see fewer and fewer of the ladies and gents I grew up thinking of when I thought of a vet;  vet's of WWI, WWII and Korea.  I've learned that those folks aren't the only vets in Canada. 

If you get back in, keep your vet's plates I say.  If you have them now, it was by serving and meeting the criteria for them.

I would say that if you do get back in, and you're posted to Alberta, as much as you would still meet the criteria, I would change to a regular plate. If posted elsewhere, then these are the basic entitlements, not including those for police:

BC - honourably discharged; currently serving having completed basic training
AB - honourably discharged only (must be MOC qual)
SK - honourably discharged; currently serving having completed 3 years Reg or 1095 paid Res days
MB - honourably discharged; currently serving having completed 3 years
ON - honourably discharged; currently serving
QC - honourably discharged; currently serving
NB - honourably discharged; currently serving having completed 3 years
NS - honourably discharged; currently serving having completed 3 years
NF - honourably discharged; currently serving
PEI - honourably discharged; currently serving having completed 3 years
YK - honourably discharged only (must be MOC qual)
NT - honourably discharged; currently serving having completed 3 years
NU - does not currently issue veteran plates

PMedMoe said:
To get a Veteran's license plate in Ontario, your completed application must be stamped by the RCL Ontario Provincial Command.  Weird.  :dunno:

When I got mine in Nova Scotia, I had to provide supporting documentation.

Retired Personnel - Canadian Forces Certificate of Service - both sides
(Or equivalent for Merchant Navy, Allies, etc.)

Serving Personnel - Canadian Forces identification card plus personal service record information
(Current MPRR)

https://novascotia.ca/sns/pdf/ans-rmv-veteran-plate.pdf

When I got my ON Vet plate, I had to send a copy of my MPRR to the RCL.  This was about 10 years ago after tour, so perhaps it’s changed?

exCAFguy said:
When I got my ON Vet plate, I had to send a copy of my MPRR to the RCL.  This was about 10 years ago after tour, so perhaps it’s changed?
I sent the ON RCL a photocopy of the front and back of my NDI75 in 2012.

For the second set of plates, all they needed was the fact that I already had one set.  Easy!

Back