• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Veterans License Plates

Well, I'd rather have a sister in a cathouse than a brother selling insurance any day.  They're just one step on the evolutionary ladder that led from cockroaches, to rats, and eventually to repo men.  I'm just so deeply hurt....

long haired civvy(well said:
It would be interesting to hear the opinions of some real veterans on this subject.

It was the real Veterans, of the Royal Canadian Legion, Dominion Command, that evolved the criteria. The only plate you should be allowed to have is the one in your head.  ::) Selling insurance, that's the last stop before the gutter and becoming a politician isn't it?

GO FOR IT TESS! The more of us who can should show the Colours so to speak.

I had an interesting experience a couple of weeks ago at a Canadian Tire Store. I had purchased an article that I needed assistance with. The chap when putting the box in my van noticed my Veterans plate and thanked me for my service and for the opportunity to come to Canada and raise a family in such a wonderful country.

If you are a Veteran be proud of it and let everyone know about it.

Aye Dileas

Maybee we could get ARMY.CA veteran plates........oh wait never mind, we would have to be honourably discharged from the forum in order to be eligible and Im not sure that applies to many people.

Nope.... only dishonourable discharges being dissed out from this place!

What is wrong with the Alabama method, of denoting exactly what you did to earn your veteran's status?

This would get rid of some of the infighting that happens here with who is a "real" veteran.

Have the plate say why - and take the guesswork out of it.

maybe just the mini - gongs - like the ones the "better men" of the army wear on their mess dress!  ;)

Check these out:

The Silver Star Medal is awarded to military personnel who have demonstrated gallantry and service beyond the call of duty.

Any resident of Illinois who has been awarded this medal may apply for as many sets of Silver Star license plates as he or she has vehicles titled, registered or leased in his or her name.

http://www.sos.state.il.us/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/specialty_plates/military/silver_star.html

Bosnia Veteran

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Available to: Honorably Discharged Veterans who served in Bosnia with the United States Armed Forces. 

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/plates/military/bosnia.htm

There are many different types available depending on the state. Every thing from the Medal of Honor to the Viet Nam Vet. Perhaps being more specific would decrease some of the sharp-shooting. If you are a "Vet" be proud and put on the plates at the time that fits your own definition. :salute:

Sounds interesting but there would already be a turmoil.
If I read correctly US Bosnian Vet with silver star...? that would be like getting a silver star during the cold war in germany. Only two US soldier in Bosnia during the war from my count...downed pilot rescued Scott Grady and nameless Delta force operator in special ops cell who did planning but no out side the gate stuff.

For Canada since we dont through around medals like the US we would be limited in the number of people that had the gong plate like you comment on. How many vets would get a special plate? There are about 30 to 40 Wounded in Action strips running (hopping) around the CF and lets say about 10 decorations for Valour in combat....there would not be too many of us with the real cool plates Tess would have his I would have mine what about the real point to show the Canadian public those that served and served honourably.

3rd Horseman said:
Sounds interesting but there would already be a turmoil.
If I read correctly US Bosnian Vet with silver star...? that would be like getting a silver star during the cold war in germany. Only two US soldier in Bosnia during the war from my count...downed pilot rescued Scott Grady and nameless Delta force operator in special ops cell who did planning but no out side the gate stuff.

For Canada since we dont through around medals like the US we would be limited in the number of people that had the gong plate like you comment on. How many vets would get a special plate? There are about 30 to 40 Wounded in Action strips running (hopping) around the CF and lets say about 10 decorations for Valour in combat....there would not be too many of us with the real cool plates Tess would have his I would have mine what about the real point to show the Canadian public those that served and served honourably.

Considering that we are about to deploy a brigade HQ and full battle group on combat operations to Kandahar, I wouldn't be too hasty in saying that there wouldn't be many special plates.

You "have yours"?   Where are you drawing the line at decorations for valour in "combat"?   If you're talking commendations or MiDs, there are a fair number of those around.   Or, were you wounded in action?

By the way, you cannot get the Silver Star unless you earn it for "gallantry in action" - unlike the Bronze Star, which (without "V") can be awarded for meritorious conduct.   Again, you're hinting that you're "in the know" but obviously cannot be.

The reason I suggested that the gongs/ribbons be put on the plate itself, is that it would 1) keep the people who really did'nt do much (3 years in a domestic unit) with nothing but the poppy, 2) the guys who managed to get shot, MiD, 14 deployments in 20 years, CD etc, could have that recognition, without feeling like they were slighted or "lumped in" with the first guy.

Recognise each person for what they have done, as the US plates do, instead of one, confusing generic term.

Good idea?

Very good point,

We already show what we have on our chests, so it would not be that far off in showing you pride for your duty to country on the plate in the same way.

dileas

tess

Teddy,

Teddy Ruxpin said:
Considering that we are about to deploy a brigade HQ and full battle group on combat operations to Kandahar, I wouldn't be too hasty in saying that there wouldn't be many special plates.

3rd H response -  You are probably right the comment was to date not to the future I cant predict it. If things go the way they normally go then yes you are probably correct there will be more.

You "have yours"?   Where are you drawing the line at decorations for valour in "combat"?   If you're talking commendations or MiDs, there are a fair number of those around.   Or, were you wounded in action?

3rd H response -   To my knowledge there are only a handfull of decorations for valour, "MID" being one of them it is the lowest order of that group and there are a few out there for Valour there are many more for outstanding performance. As for commendations I was not counting them. As for me I have a MID and a Wounded in action stripe for different actions.

By the way, you cannot get the Silver Star unless you earn it for "gallantry in action" - unlike the Bronze Star, which (without "V") can be awarded for meritorious conduct.   Again, you're hinting that you're "in the know" but obviously cannot be.

There is no hint of "in the know" it was a personal observation of the post on one being issued I posed it as a question not a statement of fact. Specifically that since no combat activities occurred while the US forces IFOR SFOR were in Bosnia I was puzzled a silver star would be issued. I personally know the Delta guy I spoke of and I know he did not get one. But I may have misspoken the Scot Grady thing I know that a small group of CSAR came into get him, I know most of them personally they don't have one but but since then maybe they have. As I said it was an observation with question, if you have the information then post it, it would answer my question.

The issue which appears to be lost in your respons was that since we don't have allot of those awards in Canada it would be better to issue Vet plates to all honourably discharged vets to show the flag to the public rather then specific awards on plates.

Go and Tess

Good points I could agree with that, I was looking at it from the perspective of only issuing decorated plates and that would be too few your idea is good it does solve the issue of credibility. LOL except in this forum.

GO!!! said:
The reason I suggested that the gongs/ribbons be put on the plate itself, is that it would 1) keep the people who really did'nt do much (3 years in a domestic unit) with nothing but the poppy, 2) the guys who managed to get shot, MiD, 14 deployments in 20 years, CD etc, could have that recognition, without feeling like they were slighted or "lumped in" with the first guy.

Recognise each person for what they have done, as the US plates do, instead of one, confusing generic term.

Good idea?

It is a good idea, but you're going to run into problems with scale, which might make it uneconomical.  In the US, there are millions of veterans, numbers which make the designing of specific plates a cost-effective thing to do.  A quick look at Alabama's "tags", for instance, shows plates commemorating all sorts of current and past service (see here:  http://www.ador.state.al.us/motorvehicle/militaryview.html.  Not all states (I would suggest a distinct minority do) have these.

An alternative might be a variety of ribbon stickers, but these would only mean something to those in the know and provinces would be required to analyse each veteran's 490A (or equivalent) to determine entitlement.  Since I come from a province that doesn't issue front plates to save money, I'm not sure how far the idea would go.

The solution?  I don't really have one, but I do know that I won't be getting vet's plates until after I'm retired and hung up my spurs.

3rd horse:  
I have a MID and a Wounded in action stripe for different actions
 Ack.  :salute:  I certainly didn't intend to call your personal service into question.

am confused by where all this is going...
you want the veteran plates to increase the forces visibility within the community. Then you're looking at finding the most ways it is possible to denying same said plates to former serving members?
You're prepared to authorize the plates to a cook who was part of a unit that served in North america or Europe between 40 & 45 (but not necessarily saw combat) but are not prepared to "permit" a plate to a cook who has served his whole career within a Service Battalion.

Are we going to make restrictions for Men VS women?
Are we going to make restrictions for those who are CSS VS Combat arms?
Where does it start & where does it end.

When you get down to it, to the public.... we're all the same and they prolly won't have the patience or interest in waiting around to hear the explanation.

For me, the single veteran place is plenty fine. I have no problem placing my 30+ yrs of service next to someone who served something like 5.

Cheers!

(Typo correction)

I agree with Geo - you can't really quantify service.   Guy does 3 years in the Mo, goes overseas and gets shot.   Another guy does 25 years Reg Force fixing planes and never goes anywhere.   In my opinion, they both rate and they both put forth a valued service.   The value of your service shouldn't be measured by the salad bar on your chest, should it?

Back