• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VOT OJE Question

Reaction score
I got accepted to VOT to a new trade. I was given an OJE posting to shadow the new trade and to stay in the same province.

Few weeks later I get a full posting message to move to a different province to do OJE.

My understanding is you don’t get a full posting message of moving until you finish your QL3?

It’s a purple trade so I was prepared to get posted somewhere else if needed after my 3s.

When I signed the VOT offer, it did not say I am expected to move for OJE. They only gave me a month to report to the new unit which sucks. I am a home owner with renters and my wife works Full time.

Is this normal to get a full moving posting just for OJE?

Can I grieve this as this is such short notice for an OJE posting. Or will this affect my career if I grieve this?

I got accepted to VOT to a new trade. I was given an OJE posting to shadow the new trade and to stay in the same province.

Few weeks later I get a full posting message to move to a different province to do OJE.

My understanding is you don’t get a full posting message of moving until you finish your QL3?

It’s a purple trade so I was prepared to get posted somewhere else if needed after my 3s.

When I signed the VOT offer, it did not say I am expected to move for OJE. They only gave me a month to report to the new unit which sucks. I am a home owner with renters and my wife works Full time.

Is this normal to get a full moving posting just for OJE?

Can I grieve this as this is such short notice for an OJE posting. Or will this affect my career if I grieve this?
They are probably more likely moving you to pre-position you for employment after training.

Instead of jumping to the grievance hammer just try asking for an extension or a change of report date. Fairly common request usually approved given proper circumstances.

They are probably more likely moving you to pre-position you for employment after training.

Instead of jumping to the grievance hammer just try asking for an extension or a change of report date. Fairly common request usually approved given proper circumstances.
I did not even get a posting choice though. After my QL3 the possibility of moving again?

Their reason behind is they said OJE is not available where I’m located but yet the trade I VOT’d to is full of them here.

Just super shocked that I’m moving this early for just OJE? And possibly needing to move again after my QL3

There's always that possibility that you're going to move after your 3s. Having lived and worked worked in the purple world, they generally try and pre-position folks for post training employment but things don't always work out. It is rare, at least in my experience and I managed a fairly large BTL.

Honestly the best thing you can do is just ask what's going on and for more time. If it's truly just to do OJE, they shouldn't have a strict deadline to have you there. There may be other pressures that you're just not seeing. Often found one I inquired to I would get the straight scoop and be able to tell the member the plan and advocate for them.

There's always that possibility that you're going to move after your 3s. Having lived and worked worked in the purple world, they generally try and pre-position folks for post training employment but things don't always work out. It is rare, at least in my experience and I managed a fairly large BTL.

Honestly the best thing you can do is just ask what's going on and for more time. If it's truly just to do OJE, they shouldn't have a strict deadline to have you there. There may be other pressures that you're just not seeing. Often found one I inquired to I would get the straight scoop and be able to tell the member the plan and advocate for them.
So I did reach out to them and I was told it was just to do OJE as OJE is not available where I’m located. Weird because there are a lot of them trades here.

I wish I was told this before signing the initial offer, or someone would have told me at BTL that I require a move. It was just an email of a posting message.

Many thanks for the reply back. I will try grabbing more clarification tomorrow.

So I did reach out to them and I was told it was just to do OJE as OJE is not available where I’m located. Weird because there are a lot of them trades here.

I wish I was told this before signing the initial offer, or someone would have told me at BTL that I require a move. It was just an email of a posting message.

Many thanks for the reply back. I will try grabbing more clarification tomorrow.
If by you reached out to them you mean the BTL just remember the BTL just manages you administratively, they have no special insight on how your trade will manage any particular person, beyond what they are told. Your trade training authority manages you.

I know you're saying that your trade has people in your location but some locations are not suitable OJE which is probably why they're moving you.

I don't know what else to tell you, it is like any other CAF role where you have the possibility of being posted. I would as you said get some more info and go from there

Without knowing your new trade is impossible for anyone to give you advice here. Also, check and see if that posting message is restricted. If it is, they're likely placing you on the BTL of the school that will train you. Base BTLs are not designed to hold folks for long periods awaiting training. You may need to go to the school BTL, clear in and request to go back home for an OJE task if available and the wait is long enough for your course.

Just wanted to update you guys, they ended up cancelling my posting which I was very surprised about. But I’m glad they did
Not surprising at all, messages are cut by someone without context. They expect that if there are issues that a local COC will raise them. Given some context, they can then make a decision. That is why I said instead of going grievance route, maybe just talk to them first. Glad it worked out.

Back