• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

It was pretty good. The host Matt Galloway was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you when David Bercuson said the military was for killing people and breaking things. Aft
Does this Galloway fellow not study history? Most of history is about the uncomfortable shit humans do to each other up to and including war.

I am fully onside with your assessment. Pretty good little 22mins.

My only comment is that the conversation made no reference to the US National Guard. My understanding is that it is the Guard, together with the Army Corps of Engineers, more than FEMA, that bring physical assets and manpower to manage disasters. And that they are State Assets.

That ends up taking in the whole issue of provincial responsibilities and funding. FEMA is by and large a manager of Federal grants to address states of emergency. Those funds allow the States to call out their Guard to man the federally provided trucks, helicopters and Hercs.

He’s very much a product of our liberal school system.
I’m not sure if I should laugh along with KevinB, or sigh in sadness at how pathetic that is…

The fact that people still don’t know what a military is actually for at the end of the day, is jaw dropping.

It’s like this weird “awe inspiring stupid” that you’d think one would have to work long and hard to master, but rather just comes so naturally to some.

(Remember when that reporter from CTV went and covered CSOR & 427 SOAS during operations in northern Iraq, who kept asking what a .50 door gun was for? Like wtf do you think it’s for?)

Even if somebody is not familiar with history, surely to goodness people have at least heard about Russia invading Ukraine… that right there is a good example of what militaries are for…

Defending the nation against an attack, or attacking another nation.

Like watching ISIS spread like a wildfire for a little while, and western air power & SOF units putting a stop to that. What do they think our jets dropped? What do they think special forces do? 🤦🏼‍♂️

It was just over a decade ago we were fighting in Afghanistan in one of the busiest sectors in theatre, with Afghanistan related news stories being regular.

Sometimes we were racking up to 1000 enemy dead per month. (Notice how THAT didn't make the news…)

The fact that people are still shocked that the military, at the end of the day, is there to defeat the nation’s enemies is just crazy to me.

<rant over>

The fact that people are still shocked that the military, at the end of the day, is there to defeat kill the nation’s enemies is just crazy to me.

Not to put too fine a point on it...

Apparently we need to be more clear in our discussions.

I’m not sure if I should laugh along with KevinB, or sigh in sadness at how pathetic that is…

The fact that people still don’t know what a military is actually for at the end of the day, is jaw dropping.

It’s like this weird “awe inspiring stupid” that you’d think one would have to work long and hard to master, but rather just comes so naturally to some.

(Remember when that reporter from CTV went and covered CSOR & 427 SOAS during operations in northern Iraq, who kept asking what a .50 door gun was for? Like wtf do you think it’s for?)

Even if somebody is not familiar with history, surely to goodness people have at least heard about Russia invading Ukraine… that right there is a good example of what militaries are for…

Defending the nation against an attack, or attacking another nation.

Like watching ISIS spread like a wildfire for a little while, and western air power & SOF units putting a stop to that. What do they think our jets dropped? What do they think special forces do? 🤦🏼‍♂️

It was just over a decade ago we were fighting in Afghanistan in one of the busiest sectors in theatre, with Afghanistan related news stories being regular.

Sometimes we were racking up to 1000 enemy dead per month. (Notice how THAT didn't make the news…)

The fact that people are still shocked that the military, at the end of the day, is there to defeat the nation’s enemies is just crazy to me.

<rant over>

In general, the military tends to go out of its way to avoid civilians, most of whom have never met a CAF member let alone one in uniform, so we probably shouldn't be surprised at their lack of knowledge.

Viz - reflecting on discussions with senior people in my deep and dark past where I suggested things like: 'maybe we should invite the Mayor and councillors to the Annual Dinner/Cocktail Party/other event' only to be told that was ridiculous :)

Take that parochial attitude, times it by 'Canada wide', and I think you'll get an idea of the scale of the problem.

We used to be clear…when we were killing murderers and scum bags…

Geez man! Keep up! That was a couple of generations ago. (Funny how the generations are getting shorter even as the generations aren't generating anymore)

1664925180033.png

Geez man! Keep up! That was a couple of generations ago. (Funny how the generations are getting shorter even as the generations aren't generating anymore)
Hunh? 10-15 years isn’t a “couple of generations…”

Xers commanding Millenials who were raising Zeds who are now having Alphas -- Grandad...
Until Alphas are fighting, at most I’ll give you is one generation and that’s generous, and the date was 2005. 😉

The youngest pers I checked on an incoming DP1 Sigs was 2003. We're all getting super old.

The youngest pers I checked on an incoming DP1 Sigs was 2003. We're all getting super old.
Indeed. Back when Hillier made his famous comment, the youngest troops would have been ‘old’ Millenials.

Until Alphas are fighting, at most I’ll give you is one generation and that’s generous, and the date was 2005. 😉

I recall that generations used to be considered about 25 years. Now we're down to 15.

Baby - 0
Mummy - 15
Granny - 30
Great Granny - 45
GGG - 60
GGGG - 75
GGGGG - 90

Even Indiana doesn't crank them out that fast.

Not to put too fine a point on it...

Apparently we need to be more clear in our discussions.
Lack of clarity has become the key to success in politics, leadership, management, academia and just about every other endeavour, so I'm not surprised Galloway was surprised at the "blunt language" - he's not used to hearing it. Lack of clarity allows for wiggle room, so-called misinterpretations, and has less chance at offending anyone.

Anybody who doesn't know what the primary mandate of a military is - the 'A' in CAF in our case - should turn in any educational certificate they ever received. I would suggest they turn in their citizenship but I'm told they can't do that. Of course the military can do other things; firefighters get kittens out trees but nobody complains when they need a new million dollar aerial.

Conclusion: Canadians are retarded.
Easy to not care about a military when you are next to the largest one and have never been threatened with an invasion or attack.

Back