• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

Chapeski said:
I believe it's the anti-fod issue, however I could be off on this. I'm sure Vern will correct me if I'm wrong though.
I'm sure you meant "anti-static" vice "anti-fod".  ;)

ArmyVern said:
The MkIII is an unlined, plain leather boot (just as the "flying boots" [the re-treaded combat MkIII boot as you pointed out]) with no static producing lining.

The same can not be said about the Boot, GP; it does have a staticy lining (or at least has a lining not yet certified to be anti-static).

Big Flight Safety "OOOOPs" on your part.

Interesting...first I've heard of that.  Thanks!

I did actually mean anti-fod. I was thinking with regards to the soles and the various "others" that the GP pick up compared to the MkIII. As I said, and you held true Vern to the rescue again! (Thanks for the bail Vern.) See, this just goes to show even suppies learn something new about their job every day! (You guys thought it was an easy one :P)

ArmyVern said:
Well, they are for YOU. And, that lower back pain bit would make it seem like something "medical" ...

Yet again: Apples/Oranges  ;)

(And, knowing that you are here right now, hoping that you are addressing the footwear item as a "medical" during your B Class time ... what a difference that makes too in the world that is the supply system [over A Class]).

Well I may just try it again, but last time I got told that I didn't have back pain  ::)

Well I am on class C for the next wile till I get back from overseas  ;D

Dimsum said:
Agreed.  I use them while flying (shh...don't tell anyone!) especially since the flying boots are re-treaded Mk IIIs with bigger eyelets.  Speaking of which, how come the GPB isn't "allowed" for flight ops when they also issue Mk IIIs if flying boot stocks run low  ???

Maybe because the Air Force is getting issued boots that ARE authorized for flight ops from the CEMS Project, namely the CWWB.  Aircrew are wearing them here at CYAW, and I believe there is a msg out about them.  Initially, 1 pair was issued per airman/woman or entitled member of the Army/Navy DEU variety.  I have received my 2nd pair just last month.  They are CWWBs, so I still wear my Magnum Stealth IIs in the summer months, as the Temperate Combat Boots aren't issued yet.

CEMS answered some questions on the Air Force issued boots here.  Hope that helps some.

Could be you are mixing up the CTS GP combat boot and the CEMS CWWB?  (The CEMS Temperate Combat Boot aren't even in stock yet, so you can't be getting issued them.)

I notice, from the CTS and CEMS project standpoint, the WWB is "army" and the CWWB is "Air Force".  I know this is about the GPB (army) which the CTS site refers to as the Temperate Combat Boot, or is the TCB and GPB different pieces of kit?

Now, I wonder what the new kit our sailor comrades will receive from the NICE project will be called?   ;D

They are CWWBs, so I still wear my Magnum Stealth IIs in the summer months, as the Temperate Combat Boots aren't issued yet.

Personally, I've found the CWWB's combined with the Combat Sock system to be plenty comfortable in summer months. The mesh lining is plenty forgiving and I've heard they break in quicker in warmer weather (took only a week for mine to break in), and compared to the old MK3's, they're like walking on clouds.

They are comfortable enough but a little too hot for my paws.  But the green machine types don't care about our boots.  ;D

AEC Kapp said:
Personally, I've found the CWWB's combined with the Combat Sock system to be plenty comfortable in summer months. The mesh lining is plenty forgiving and I've heard they break in quicker in warmer weather (took only a week for mine to break in), and compared to the old MK3's, they're like walking on clouds.

They are called Cold Wet Weather Boots for a reason.

Eye In The Sky said:
I know this is about the GPB (army) which the CTS site refers to as the Temperate Combat Boot, or is the TCB and GPB different pieces of kit?
The GPB & TCB are different things.  If you dig back through this thread, you can find that the GPB is only acting as the new Cbt boot because the TCB has not yet been bought.

The role of the GPB will be the low cost first boot issued to all pers on joining for training and before more expensive enviromental specific boots are issued.

geo said:
They are called Cold Wet Weather Boots for a reason.

They are also called...."Skates"

Cold Wet Weather Boots are a CEMS (Air Force) item.  They are not slippery on cold surfaces.  ???
http://www.forces.gc.ca/cems/ItemsAndClothing/Footwear/CWWB_e.htm

Ecco said:
They are also called...."Skates"

Cold Wet Weather Boots are a CEMS (Air Force) item.  They are not slippery on cold surfaces.   ???
http://www.forces.gc.ca/cems/ItemsAndClothing/Footwear/CWWB_e.htm

Must be a different Cold Wet Weather Boot that is the cause of this nice big scar on my face. Not sliippery at all. I do not even remember my feet flying out from under me... Only picking myself up to carry on with my mission (soft knock cordon search op in BiH, FD was there... FD was it not you that got my pic sitting in the Iltis holding 3 inches thick of gauze against my face?).

"Ahhh Sgt, you are bleeding..."

The ones I was issued, I will never wear again. I hope to someday meet the penny pinching knob that decided a hard sole is good for a boot being exposed to below zero temperatures.

The CTS project is providing the Army the WWB, and the CEMS project is providing the Air Force and other entitled mbrs with CWWBs.  They are not the same piece of kit.  I've worn both.

From the CEMS site: 

10. Each of the AF boot types has been designed for a specific environment and temperature range (see the individual boot descriptions on this site). This includes the rubber compound used in the outsoles. Much like the rubber on your automobile tires, wear is better on the summer tires that are constructed of a harder rubber. This said, we all change to softer winter tires during the winter months to ensure traction and collision avoidance. The same principle holds true for your boots. If, for example, you were to wear the DCB or the TCB during a mid- winter freeze, the force with which your backside would repeatedly hit the ice may well bring the rosy color of your face to an even brighter shade of scarlet. Outsoles are designed for specific temperature ranges which must be taken into account by users, based on their environment. (I should say at this point that this paragraph falls into the "gay" catagory for me, who was the bimbo that wrote the last part ffs?)

IIRC, the Army WWB sole issue is being looked after with the resoling of the boots, and the new boots coming online won't have the same issue.

Good news indeed. I remember my excitement getting the WWB, thinking to myself, "Vibram soles, finally we are making sense." at the time, I did not realise the soles were hockey pucks in the cold, with all the same characteristics. Vibram is still the best company for making soles on the market... However with contracts, they give what is purchased, like anyone else.

'Course, for my "beauty mark" it is 5 years too late.

Ecco said:
Cold Wet Weather Boots are a CEMS (Air Force) item.

These are the absolute WORST boots that I have ever worn.

I gave them three weeks' chance in Wainwright in late March/early April, and finally gave up.

I could not walk in them in the field, probably due to the safety toe and shank. They were simply too stiff, and showed no sign of improvement. The tops of my feet, just behind the toes, hurt by the end of the day and I could not walk normally, even in bare feet. It took over two weeks, probably closer to three, before my feet were back to normal and I shall not ever wear these things again.

I bought a pair of Magnums in the Wainwright kit shop instead, and am quite happy with them.

I have never had a problem with the standard combat boot, from Mk I to Mk III.

I have learned, over the past couple of decades, to avoid anything that has "a** f**ce in the name, and pick the Army version if there is one. The latter may not be perfect, but it's generally a whole lot better.

Eye In The Sky said:
IIRC, the Army WWB sole issue is being looked after with the resoling of the boots, and the new boots coming online won't have the same issue.

Umm.... have you had your WWB soles looked after with that resoling project ???

I did... AND I HAVE A SEVERED QUAD TO SHOW FOR IT
Not to mention the two surgeries AND a probable third looming in the wings !!!

Lousiest hunk of junk that I have ever had the misfortune to wear.  Considering that I've been in for 35+ years - that's saying a whole lot

Geo,

No I didn't.  When I was still 'green', I was issued the first version of the boot, and they sucked for anything other than standing/sitting.   (Noteably, when I was issused my 2 pair of WWBs, the person at supply said I wasn't entitled to my Mk IIIs so I turned them in and only had 2 x pair of WWBs).  Shortly after that, I was in Wainwright for my 6B in May/June and my feet were hamburger at the end of it between overheating and blisters.  I absolutely HATED those boots.  Fall '03 I was assessed for orthotics and received LPO boots (Magnums Stealths for summer and Bates M-9 Assault for cold weather) so I turned in my WWBs and was never happier to turn in a piece of kit.  The Magnums were comfy but not durable, and the Bates M-9s were a very good boot.

Since going "blue" I've been issued 2 x pair of the Air Force CWWBs, but haven't worn them much as the weather is warm, and my feet are comfy in my Magnums for now.  I did wear the CWWBs one week when we were on the airfield doing reflectors and junk like that, and they are ok if you don't have to walk around alot, or so they seemed.  I definitely wouldn't want to try a BFT or field training in them though.

I'd still love to be given a $ amount per year to purchase a good pair of boots that fit my feet the best, which for me would be these boots.

Have gone thru Mk 1 thru 3 and have not had much problems with any of them.... though the Mk 2s had a tendency to have the quick lace rings pulled out.
Have seen the Magnums and they're overgrown sneakers - they just wear out too darned fast IMHO.
The Bates look +/- like them - did they wear out quickly ?

Matterhorns look like a nice pair of boots (though I don't need much in the way of footwear to fly my desk)

I found the Bates M-9s very very durable.  Barely any wear on the soles after a few years of wear.  The Vibram sole caused me no issues in the winter, either here in the Martimes or at St-Jean Garrison a few winters ago.  They are Gortex as well, so even in slush etc I had warm and dry feet.  For comfort, field, garrison, crappy wet day on the range, whatever, the Matterhorns I bought at the US Calvary store just off post in Fort Knox are the best boots I've ever worn.

Loachman said:
These are the absolute WORST boots that I have ever worn.

I gave them three weeks' chance in Wainwright in late March/early April, and finally gave up.

I have never had a problem with the standard combat boot, from Mk I to Mk III.

I have learned, over the past couple of decades, to avoid anything that has "a** f**ce in the name, and pick the Army version if there is one. The latter may not be perfect, but it's generally a whole lot better.

Well.  I got issued a pair in July.  Comfortable.  Love the speed lacing.  Nice pair of slippers............Been wearing them for three months.  Now that all ends.  Went for a 13 km practice for the BFT last Thursday, with light load, and my feet are a mess.  I have blisters on the balls of both feet that are three inches long; both heals are ripped to s*#@; and I have blisters on the tops of two toes on my right foot. 

These boots are not made for walking (any great distance).  Don't think I'll go get my second set.

I'll do the BFT in my old Mk III's with Vibram soles.

Back